Sport mode indoors
2945 23 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Hi all

Probably a silly question but the manual wasn't clear. What happens if you fly sport mode indoors? The manual states that forward and downward vision is disabled in sport mode so do we get P-ATTI in that circumstance?  Also I assume RTH is also not available in sport?
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

What happens is you crash and it would be quite an expensive repair cost for you. I suggest not attempting this indoors.
2016-10-25
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Hi Ken - can you elaborate as I'm an advanced rc heli pilot and quad racer so I'm more than comfortable with all artificial stability control turned off. What I want to is what the automation will do. To be honest it's the automation the concerns me not the lack thereof
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jonty2 Posted at 2016-10-26 10:24
Hi Ken - can you elaborate as I'm an advanced rc heli pilot and quad racer so I'm more than comforta ...

If you are used to helis and FPV racing then im sure you'll be fine. You should have altitude hold but not horizontal stabilization.
And without (possibly) GPS indoors there may not be RTH. But tobbe safe set the RTH to hover.
2016-10-25
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Thanks Ken - is the altitude hold by way of the barometer in P-ATTI mode (and not the mavic turning on downward vision)?
2016-10-25
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Sorry I mean S-ATTI mode (assuming this exists)
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jonty2 Posted at 2016-10-26 11:11
Thanks Ken - is the altitude hold by way of the barometer in P-ATTI mode (and not the mavic turning  ...

Normally in ATTI, the downward cameras/sonar sensors are working within VPS range. But you can disable that in the settings if you wish.
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jonty2 Posted at 2016-10-26 11:14
Sorry I mean S-ATTI mode (assuming this exists)

In Sport Mode it will hold altitude only.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 9.51.53 PM.png
2016-10-25
Use props
Linsenfest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 199475 ft
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 04:13
What happens is you crash and it would be quite an expensive repair cost for you. I suggest not atte ...

Amazing Answer!!!
2016-10-25
Use props
Handsfreebicycl
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 10:13
What happens is you crash and it would be quite an expensive repair cost for you. I suggest not atte ...

This has been kind of rude....I thought you guys are pretty happy with people discussing technical problems here instead of blaming the shipping and dishonesty stuff....

But why do you assume he will crash the drone? I am pretty sure there are more than enough people around who can fly this thing inverted without flight control software if it can be flown like that...
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Yes, but the user is well experienced so I'm sure they will be fine.
If a beginner first time flying a drone in their house, then a crash is probably going to happen.
2016-10-25
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Don't worry Ken I took it very much as tounge and cheek. I've made enough dumb mistakes in my years of flying to get on a high horse. I have to admit what does make me nervous is a bit of the unknown about how automation will react in situations. I'm far more comfortable in full control and would also echo the earlier request to have user selectable ATTI
2016-10-25
Use props
Linsenfest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 199475 ft
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 07:08
Yes, but the user is well experienced so I'm sure they will be fine.
If a beginner first time flyi ...

I`m a professional webdesigner and started a videoagency about a half year ago.
On the ground it gets better every time. GoPro and Feiyutech Gimbal do their best.
Still thinking to get the Osmo+.

In the air i´m a absolutly greenhorn xD
But i think the mavic is the best drone for beginners like me.

Only the thougt about flying Sports Mode Indoors makes me laughing
You need to have a big big big big house to do that.
Like a church or something
2016-10-25
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

A lot of fpv quad racing is indoors in warehouses etc so it's very common. You certainly need your wits about you but it's good fun
2016-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I admire you for asking the question, and I think it will help a lot of newbies out there,
But I'm afraid there was only one answer coming your way, good luck with your Mavic , and by people like you asking the question, many others who were afraid to ask , they will learn a lot from, well done,
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

So, if only the GPS is used for positioning, how does SPORT mode position Mavic indoors?  Wouldn't Mavic be in a sort of ATTI mode if 1) INDOORS + 2) SPORT MODE ACTIVATED?
Oh & aren't the ultrasonic sensors used for the altitude then?

I was hinting at all of this back in the Sami Lao dude's video/we need ATTI thread.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Linsenfest Posted at 2016-10-26 13:39
I`m a professional webdesigner and started a videoagency about a half year ago.
On the ground it g ...

If you are not on a budget then I would say the Mavic is the best beginner drone.
If you had to save your hard earned money to be able to buy something like the Mavic, I would buy the Mavic BUT I would fist buy a $50 drone and practice.
I would be a real shame to crash your $1,000 Mavic because of a pilot error that would have easily been avoided by an experienced flyer.

Also, I think a beginner can be fine with the Mavic but only of they fully understand all of it's features, functions, and limitations.
Especially with Sport Mode, there's TONS of crashes with the P4 from first time users who opened the box and couldn't wait to try out Sport Mode only to smash their aircraft into the side of their house when they should have had a little more patience to at least go take it to a large open field.

I live in a decent sized house and am extremely experienced and I would never fly in Sports Mode in my house. There really is no reason to. The Mavic is not a FPV racer.
2016-10-26
Use props
lanyusea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47185 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 10:13

it's not necessary to be such unkind
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 07:37
If you are not on a budget then I would say the Mavic is the best beginner drone.
If you had to sa ...

Ken, you've got to go back & re-read jonty's original request.  We seem to have gotten off of the important topic (OP).

He's asking how to get closer to a manual mode or ATTI or whatever gets Mavic out of fully automatic "I know what mode is best more than you do" mode.  

He's only asking about SPORT mode because it's the quickest way to turn off a bunch of sensors.  

He's not suggesting putting it into SPORT mode & adding full deflection to the sticks to see how lightning quick his reflexes are.
2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sport mode is the best way to do that.  It is a blast to fly in.  It is not full ATTI but the speed is outstanding.  I have communicated with Jonty2.  He was looking at flying in a warehouse to film racing drones.  He is an experienced pilot and understands the risk.  Our only concern is that other new pilots will try to use sport mode in confined spaces.  That is not recommended.  
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-27 11:53
Ken, you've got to go back & re-read jonty's original request.  We seem to have gotten off of the i ...

Yes, and I've already addressed him in other posts.
Flying indoors you will have no GPS and it will drift but he's an experienced pilot so it's no big deal for him.
Regular flight mode you can also turn off sensors.
For his indoor flight he's fly in P-ATTI mode and turn off obstacle avoidance if he doesn't want it and he can also turn off the VPS if he wants but with the type of indoor flying he's doing the VPS can be left on.
Normally flying low over water is where you would turn off VPS.
2016-10-26
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Thanks guys - my query has basically been answered. The main concern is the manual is inconsistent where it states that in sport mode both downward and forward vision is disabled but then below the warning only talks about forward vision being disabled. I was keen to know indoors if in sport mode whether you have complete ATTI control or whether in fact the downward vision automatically turns on to hold altitude. Still not clear on this but will test when I get it.
2016-10-26
Use props
calvindo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344738 ft
United States

there's a hidden trick that will make your drone do tricks. While indoors, enable sport mode, full throttle forward, and elevation. It'll do loops!

smh with some of the questions here. {:4_177:}
2016-10-26
Use props
lanyusea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47185 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

it is in ATTI mode while the drone is flying in SPORT mode.
but there will be vision positioning if you hover the drone in SPORT mode.

just confirmed.
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules