Mavic - 1st indoor crash
123Next >
12948 87 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I fly my P3 indoors all the time to practice.  I never have crashed it once.
2016-10-26
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 09:51
The VPS determines the height of the Mavic using ultrasonic sensors.  The position in the absence of ...

Sorry Tahoe Ed but I was the one talking about using sport mode indoors.  Please refrain from insinuating I'm an irresponsible flyer.  I have a decade of experience of jets, helis and quads.  I was in no way suggesting I will fly in my living room but I may fly in large warehouse filming quad racing at a distance and do not want automation overiding my inputs where I am correcting a situation that might cause a crash.  

Your response does not answer the question we are asking and to be honest is quite condescending.  Leaving aside the recklessness or otherwise of flying in your living room, why did the quad travel laterally right despite what I understand is that the user trying to land?  Your response indicates that the Mavic on certain surfaces cant hold lateral position which makes sense if the opti system doesn't pick up the surface but why if it begins to drift can't the drift not be stopped by forcing a landing as the user tried to do?

Anyway, I'm not trying to be difficult and I will in time be able to test this myself soon but I continue to be concerned that the Mavic relies too heavily on automation without the appropriate pilot override features.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

jonty2 Posted at 2016-10-26 17:39
Sorry Tahoe Ed but I was the one talking about using sport mode indoors.  Please refrain from insi ...

Thank you jonty2, you said what I was thinking much better.

I'd like to understand how automation works - AND I  DID READ THE MANUAL - so, I can make better choices. I will not ever again fly my Mavic in my house. But, when you see a girl who has no experience with drones flying it in a "jumping" place at the product launch - you make some assumptions, maybe wrongfully.

I purchased DJI Care for Mavic. My fear is if it flies away outside, I will have no way to proof that I was not at fault. As far s I understand, you have to send your "broken" Mavic in in order to get a replacement under DJI Care... well, if it just takes off, I might not be able to find it ever.

I also want to say, I love this machine. Coming from P3 - it is amazing! Great job DJI in engineering Mavic... customer support could be a bit better in my opinion.  

2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

jonty2 Posted at 2016-10-27 05:39
Sorry Tahoe Ed but I was the one talking about using sport mode indoors.  Please refrain from insi ...

I don't know the exact circumstances your were flying under.  You did not state that you were flying in a warehouse in sport mode.  Some inexperienced users could misconstrue what you were doing and try to replicate it.  If you want to download your flight data log to a dropbox account I would be happy to look at it to see what occurred.  I was using a statement, yours as an example of what not to do in a living room.  
With your experience, I am sure you would agree.  I appreciate your response and look forward to the flight data log.
2016-10-26
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Thanks Tahoe Ed appreciate the response. Just to clarify I didn't have the issue it was the OP. He's already posted the flight logs in this thread.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Here is the flight log that shows clear drop of altitude... Tahoe Ed, can you please take a look? Let me know if you want me to upload somewhere else...

DJIFlightRecord_2016-10-25_[19-57-17].zip

9.71 KB, Down times: 22

2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-27 07:13
Here is the flight log that shows clear drop of altitude... Tahoe Ed, can you please take a look? Le ...

That is not the flight data log, it could be a flight log.  The flight data logs end in .DAT and are pretty large.  A 10 minute flight can be more than 200mb.  
2016-10-26
Use props
Handsfreebicycl
lvl.2

TommyJeep Posted at 2016-10-27 03:59
Sounds to me like GPS did not have a solid lock on position.  Being indoors and recording a negative ...

exactly..............
2016-10-26
Use props
Handsfreebicycl
lvl.2

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 04:51
The VPS determines the height of the Mavic using ultrasonic sensors.  The position in the absence of ...

So if the VPS doesn't work properly the aircraft should go uncontrollable? I don't really get your point in the first paragraph...

I understand this example may not fit exactly, but imagine a kid who refuses to admit or to talk about anything that he COULD POSSIBLY be responsible of. Instead of asking for the flight data log, which you did in the next comment, all I have felt in this reply is the blame on his careless and inexperienced flight indoor....

"ALL THE FLIGHT DATA" makes me feel like this guy was caught cheating on you....why did you state you advise in that condescending way?

I am not saying that he has made no mistake, maybe he crashed that mavic into the couch himself..But who knows before the log has been inspected?

Honestly I also don't feel it will be too big of a problem flying indoors...or say, in a living room...shouldn't it be capable of doing that? During the launch event that guy took off mavic just in front of him...would that be okay considering your comment here? And what about flying within close distance with so many audience?

I want to thank you for your lesson anyway.
2016-10-26
Use props
KJUmuI3PzpcL
lvl.2

Germany

Sounds like a real bug to me. If the drone has just taken off it should be able to tell what it expects, roughly, from its sensors. The it can eliminate the ones that are currently not working. I presume the compass should be relatively reliable, but I maybe wrong. If all else fails in this case the drone should possibly not even take off or immediately land again(slowly) instead of randomly turning right.
2016-10-26
Use props
qMvQTfjUrm4z
lvl.4

United States

Following.
2016-10-26
Use props
colonel0000
lvl.2

As a new user, I have been absorbing the advice and information on this forum as much as possible.  I have taken the advice to get a cheap drone (Syma) to learn to fly an "uncontrolled" aircraft to learn the basics first on something that is more disposable.  For that advice, I'm truly grateful and it's been fun so far.  

That said, the first thing I did was to fly the Syma in my living room just to get used to it.  I just find it crazy that the Mavic couldn't be expected to do the same thing.  I understand that there isn't much for it to do but just to take off, hover, turn around and maybe do some small maneuvers but still, it should be able to do that without crashing on its own, shouldn't it?  Perhaps my expectations are too high?

I understand the comments about using it outside and having a good GPS signal but still, I would think I could control this as well as a $50 "toy".
2016-10-26
Use props
Enzold
lvl.1
France

Yes you can...
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

colonel0000 Posted at 2016-10-26 23:15
As a new user, I have been absorbing the advice and information on this forum as much as possible.   ...

You will.  This bug will be smashed into oblivion.  The Mavic is barely even out yet (debatable, right?) and has tons of high-tech goodies all talking to other high-tech things.

Watch how easily Philip Bloom controls his test Mavic thru some very, very tight woods.

2016-10-26
Use props
Tenreth
lvl.2

Germany

You are not alone.
Damn thing started to drift around to the right and slightly backwards. Saw in youtube videos, that it should be rock solid in the air indoors, but do not try this at home! Never! Seriously. Result: Damaged one cupboard and one ripped prop (the others are scratched/ slightly damaged at the tip). No damage to the Mavic itself, pretty solid thing. Waiting for the DJI credits to clear... for more props.
2016-10-26
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

Subscribed (sorry for useless post but this forum doesn't allow to subscribe without posting)

EDIT : well email notification seems to be non existant on this forum... 1st forum I see without this feature since..... ever
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-26 19:56
That is not the flight data log, it could be a flight log.  The flight data logs end in .DAT and a ...

I will try to get the large flight data flie later today - I tried it yesterday but my windows laptop did not recognize the drive in flight data mode on  Mavic. Thanks again for you help.
2016-10-27
Use props
N0N4M3pl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48330 ft
Poland

Following.
2016-10-27
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-27 20:59
I will try to get the large flight data flie later today - I tried it yesterday but my windows lapt ...

Oleg thank you.  Part of my recommendations were not to have your initial flight experience inside the house.  Remember patterns on the floor and good lighting are essential with indoor flying.  Also fine stick control.  If you have all those then the Mavic will perform well indoors.  It has a great VPS system, the best we have produced so far.  It does require some caution.  Remember replacement parts will be in short supply while we get the current orders out to users.
2016-10-27
Use props
Tenreth
lvl.2

Germany

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 15:24
Oleg thank you.  Part of my recommendations were not to have your initial flight experience inside ...

Can you tell me or ask someone at DJI if props are in stock and how long it should take to ship them? (It says 1-3 days, but what you just said makes me question this.) Earliest date I found for EU reseller was mid/end Nov.
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

I have just spent 2 hours trying to get the flight data. I tried on 3 different windows laptops. Here are the steps I go through

1. connect everything (drone to PC)
2. turn on
3. advanced/flight data mode

it says that it has entered the mode but only SD card maps as a drive on my pc.

tried to unplug/plug... nothing.

What am I doing wrong?
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 09:24
Oleg thank you.  Part of my recommendations were not to have your initial flight experience inside ...

Ed, Thanks! Just for the record, as I stated in my initial post, I did fly indoors on the 1st floor of my house and Mavic was great.

My problem was later then I tried to do the same upstairs... hopefully I can get the flight data and you can help us all to figure out what happened.

As a few people suggested, there is really not much you can do with Mavic flying it inside of your house, most likely I will never try this again.

I just think that we got to figure out why it did what it did and make sure that this is not a bug, or fix it if it is a bug ;)

2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 09:24

Also, I did by DJI care/refresh... but I wonder, if I have an accident (hopefully not), does it mean that there will be a long wait for replacement?
2016-10-27
Use props
Tenreth
lvl.2

Germany

I guess it is related to lighting conditions and from the picture you posted earlier, it looks like the Mavic found some GPS (GPS Atti?). Not enough, so it went crazy with the data it recieved and the sensors taking over. It switches to Atti and suddenly the alt changes by 14ft in 3sec!? But that's just my thought. May be totally wrong.
2016-10-27
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

It's allready figured out that what isn't normal. I don't know if we can call it a bug (I assume so, because altitude wasn't -15ft on the 2nd floor of your house), but the sure thing is something needs to be fixed.

The scary thing is you can't take over the reins when autopilot starts to do wierd things.
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Ok, figured it out... there was only one record for that evening, but I had 2 flights/crashes... Correction, uploaded the file! Thanks again for your help!

2016-10-27
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not that it will help OP but advice I will give people thinking if flying indoors is ( apart from be super careful or dont in the first place ) is WAIT for the Mavic to say it's using vision before takeoff otherwise you will be in ATTI and it will drift. Make sure it has enough light to see the ground properly ( the vision can cause it to abruptly move otherwise ). Also the Mavic seems a little more sensitive to ferrous metal than the P4 ( in my experience anyway ) and can start giving compass errors indoors.

Take care flying indoors. I would only suggest doing it if you have lots of space or someone is paying you ;)
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Here is the dropbox link to the DAT file. Ed/Ken, any feedback?

crash .DAT file
2016-10-27
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

sploodge Posted at 2016-10-27 16:26
Not that it will help OP but advice I will give people thinking if flying indoors is ( apart from be ...

The problem here is not that the mavic took off in ATTI mode, it's that the mavic, for some unknown reason (DVS not functioning correctly?) made a violent strafe on the right and hit the furniture.
If it had been in ATTI the operator could have (maybe) handled the situation by manually maintaining a stable position..
2016-10-27
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

If someone has received a Mavic and is experiencing trouble with it (or not), there is a poll at Poll: Having trouble with your Mavic? Update here that we are looking for feedback on.
2016-10-27
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 04:51

Wow, this is an unbelievably rude and condescending reply for someone who (supposedly) works for DJI. To respond like that in private is one thing, but to publicly belittle a customer and then lecture them about how they used their drone is beyond unprofessional. Downright disgraceful, honestly. Not only that, but you didn't even attempt to address OP's complaints that his drone flew erratically without any pilot input, you simply made up your mind that it was his fault and then jumped right into scolding him. And in bold red text, no less.

I've heard in many places that DJI has terrible support (it's the sole reason I bought a drone from your competitor), and now I finally know what everyone was talking about. A quick Googling of "Tahoe Ed" shows many complaints about your behavior and attitude going all the way back to 2014. Example

DJI should be ashamed to call you an employee, if you are one...
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

You've got to admit that Tahoe Ed is CORRECT, in that just because you can afford this thing, doesn't release your obligation to operate it within its parameters.  Doctors & celebrities do this when they buy guns, airplanes, and other things that REALLY require proper training & not just Grand Theft Auto 5.  I'd NEVER fly this indoors.  I was shocked when I saw Beavis Neistat hover his.  I was like "hmmm, ok so it's THAT stable, but I'm not doing THAT.  Good to know THAT DEMONSTRATION shows it's VPS & ability to not kill that dude."

I've studied hundreds of NTSB reports on aviation accidents & incidents.  Most of it is PILOT ERROR.  THAT IS THE REALITY.  Except death is almost always imminent with REAL PLANES.  I wish I could unhear some of the CVR (cockpit voice recorder) recordings I've heard.  Those are overlaid with FDR (flight data recorder) data.  Those are the 2 "black boxes" even though they are bright orange 5-gallon bucket looking things in the empennage.

Sorry if your butt hurts since someone that deals with the BS excuses day in & out spelled all this out to you.  Just remember: the illusion of knowledge is necessary to keep you from having to face your own incompetence.
2016-10-27
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Can someone from DJI PLEASE take a look at the flight data that I provided???
2016-10-27
Use props
Macstrax
lvl.2

United States

Following
2016-10-27
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

"But would I ever take off in my living room, NO.  I would not.  That is the height of irresponsibility"

Huh, I thought indoor flight was a Mavic selling point.
Post 53 shows the young man enjoying a nice relaxed indoor flight.
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

In the 1960s, a pilot named Tex rolled a Boeing 707 on purpose as a publicity stunt.  No one ever rolled a 707 again, even though the stunt was a KEY SELLING POINT.  Are you familiar with selling points used on firearms?  How about a JEEP advert?  How many people have driven JEEPs off cliffs trying to recreate stunts?

I agree with all these posts.  Just realize risk assessment & ask yourself (seriously) W H Y?

2016-10-27
Use props
0c1lHx4Yr2ue
lvl.1

I encounter a similar issue... fired up the drone hoping it would just hover in place in my living room and it ran right into the wall by itself.... anyway as it's been said, it's just not worth the risk to fly indoors... so just caution to other newbies
2016-10-27
Use props
ofGE28rk1ref
lvl.1
Peru

I subcribed to this thread in order to see the outcome and culprit of the crash, unfortunatelly I found so many people ranting at Oleg and writting him condescendently because he flew it indoor instead of helping him to find the culprit of the problem. At least he has been polite enough to keep the conversation flowing into the right direction.

Here are the possible culprits:

1. Setting was in GPS instead of WiFi
2. Mavic wasn't calibrated (maybe that's why the altitude was negative)
3. Mavic needs to be calibrated after being moved to a new location
4. There was a bug that needs to be addressed by DJI on the drone/control itself

Can some expert analize the data?
OTOH this could have easily been the culprit, in this case it would be DJI fault

http://forum.dji.com/thread-68058-1-1.html
2016-10-27
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

colonel0000 Posted at 2016-10-26 23:15
As a new user, I have been absorbing the advice and information on this forum as much as possible.   ...

You raise a good point.
2016-10-27
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

sploodge Posted at 2016-10-27 07:26
Not that it will help OP but advice I will give people thinking if flying indoors is ( apart from be ...

So... You got your Mavic?  (You lucky dog!)  Still waiting for mine.
2016-10-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules