ipad for inspire1
1559 17 2015-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Migio
lvl.1

Italy

i have ipad air only wifi (not cellular)
somebody could tell me if for inspire1 i need ipad with cellular or i can fly also with the one without?
(once dji and apple will give us the app, of course....)
thank you

2015-2-4
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2

You can use WiFi only, not problem there

I only have wifi and downside is maps don't update automatically. However, you can cache maps (setting in app) and this works well for me (iOS app 0.92)

2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

jaanus Posted at 2015-2-4 20:39
You can use WiFi only, not problem there

I only have wifi and downside is maps don't update automat ...

jaanus,

If you dont have the celluar version iPads and only have WiFi, when you go to a new location, site how does the iPad get the map for the App in the first place.  Do you have to set up a hotspot with your phone or something like that at the site or proposed flying location to enable it to cache the map in the background then terminate the hot spot link.

Would appreciate if someone could clarify.
2015-2-4
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-4 22:19
jaanus,

If you dont have the celluar version iPads and only have WiFi, when you go to a new locati ...

When your on a wifi connection at home or where ever. Using your map program look in detail at the location your going to be flying at. Make sure map caching is turned on in the app. Also I zero down to the lowest level map that I can it. Then when you go flying your maps will be there

Mike
2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Cheers Mike
2015-2-4
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

Wow! This was really great information. I knew nothing about this. Thanks for sharing this.
2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I was sure there was a reply to my last post here regarding caching of maps,  but seems to have disappeared.
2015-2-4
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm guessing that those who only have the wifi version of the iPad could pair it to their phones for maps
2015-2-4
Use props
jaanus
lvl.2
Finland

lethbrp Posted at 2015-2-5 04:48
I'm guessing that those who only have the wifi version of the iPad could pair it to their phones for ...

Pairing also works. I prefer caching maps as the I'm not dependable on connection working and also there were some post about video feed issues where solution was to turn off wifi. These issues I haven't experienced myself but took notice and I fly with my iPad on "airplane mode"

@GB44

There was, and still is, Mike's answer on caching maps but now his post seems to be second post on this chain. I have hard time figuring out how post are sorted on this forum
2015-2-4
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Hey GB44 look up it was me that replied to your message, My message got moved up to the second spot....

Mike
2015-2-4
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-4 22:19
jaanus,

If you dont have the celluar version iPads and only have WiFi, when you go to a new locati ...

You have to cache the map in advance, while you're on a WiFi connection. I'm not sure how long the map will remain cached, but as long as you do it the same day or day before you fly, it should work fine. I do it all the time.
2015-2-4
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

abe.abekleinfel Posted at 2015-2-5 05:26
You have to cache the map in advance, while you're on a WiFi connection. I'm not sure how long the ...

I have been back to the same place over a week later and 15 or so flights later and my maps were still there ....
2015-2-4
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

svencool Posted at 2015-2-5 05:30
I have been back to the same place over a week later and 15 or so flights later and my maps were s ...

Thanks, Sven. Good to know!
2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

svencool Posted at 2015-2-5 05:30
I have been back to the same place over a week later and 15 or so flights later and my maps were s ...

Svencool,

Thanks for that.  It is reassuring that it retains the cached map so long.  I wonder where it stores the information on the iPad.  Would be useful to check if it has actually cached and saved the map info before leaving the Wifi connection.
2015-2-4
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-5 05:51
Svencool,

Thanks for that.  It is reassuring that it retains the cached map so long.  I wonder whe ...

I too have wondered that! Maybe someone that knows will step and and let us know. That way if your iPad was filling up and you wanted to deleted some of them then you could.....

Mike
2015-2-4
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why should Airport mode be on?  I know all else should be off.
2015-2-4
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-2-5 08:32
Why should Airport mode be on?  I know all else should be off.

I believe it helps reduce the chance of interference! I might be off base and if so someone please correct me As I'm here to learn as well

Mike
2015-2-4
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-5 05:51
Svencool,

Thanks for that.  It is reassuring that it retains the cached map so long.  I wonder whe ...

It definitely saves it after leaving WiFi, after all, that's the purpose of caching in the first place. It has to by definition save it in the iPad's memory, but the question I suppose is under what circumstances is it overwritten? If it works like most computers, the memory is overwritten when another application needs the space. In that case, it would probably hang around longer if you don't use your iPad often of if you don't start and stop many applications.
2015-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules