SOLVED: Live Video Signal is Intermittent
2578 12 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

Today, for the first time, my video feed would cut in and out. The distance didn't seem to matter as it was problematic up close and out as far as 1000'. I didn't venture any further out than that. Sometimes it would flicker and sometimes it might stay out for a minute or so. I tried shutting everything off and restarting, but nothing changed. All signal indicators were full strength even when the video feed was blank. I also switched from "auto" to "manual" channel selection, but that didn't seem to make any difference.
I have not upgraded any firmware since I bought it last October because everything was working so well. I have just over 17 hours and 94 flights trouble free flights on it. I haven't even upgraded the iOS software. Nothing has been changed in that regard.

I would welcome any suggestions you might have.
2016-10-29
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

I would wonder if your antenna were perhaps crossed or not perpendicular to your bird.  Also, a reflective booster helps both to greatly increase reception, but also insures the antenna are parallel.  Fortunately, the video taken by your drone will still be clear.  
2016-10-29
Use props
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

The antennas were parallel.  I failed to mention that.

The point is that  P3P has been completely reliable until today. I have been out to a mile (over my own property in a rural area) and never had an issue with the video feed coming back to me.

What happened today was out of the ordinary.
2016-10-29
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

How about trying another USB cable !!. I had that a few months back and checked the USB module on the RC...one of the ribbons was not locked down properly with the black plastic clip. Locked it down and all was good but I have since removed it to fit the HDMI module to fly with goggles. From memory there is 4 screws on the back of the RC holding the USB cover on ...remove and you can take the cover off to check USB module.
2016-10-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please try to change another USB cable as mentioned above.
If still the same case, please help clarify your current firmware for the aircraft and remote.
What mobile device you are using? how about the APP version?
You're faced with the same situation wherever you fly it?
2016-10-30
Use props
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Dingo and Natalia for the suggestions. I will check the USB module and try another cable and see if that helps.

I did do a little trouble shooting yesterday and noticed when the quad was flying with  a quartering headwind from the right side the video tended to cut out more. I brought it back and tried to duplicate that while holding it.  Sometimes it seemed to be the problem. When I was holding it the TX was sitting still.  

Could this possibly be one of the ribbon cables on the camera gimble?

Thanks again for the suggestions!

2016-10-30
Use props
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

Well I checked the USB module and it was fine. I flew with a new cable and the problem is still there. I held the drone and tilted it to the right and got the video to cut out fairly consistently when banked to the right. I'm wondering if the problem is a bad ribbon cable or connection in the gimble.

What's the best way to fix something like that? A new gimble or cables?
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

OkiePhlyer Posted at 2016-10-31 11:12
Well I checked the USB module and it was fine. I flew with a new cable and the problem is still ther ...

Have you tired to copy the original videos from SD card to your PC and check whether it's fine?
Please try to unplug the pin cables attached to the gimbal, wait for a while, then plug back in tightly.
Also you could try to reset camera settings.
If no improvement, would you mind upgrade the firmware?
2016-10-31
Use props
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-31 16:17
Have you tired to copy the original videos from SD card to your PC and check whether it's fine?
Pl ...

No I have not. The issue is the live image coming to my iPad as I fly. The video signal sent from the quad back to my Tx is intermittent.

I'm fairly certain I have a bad ribbon cable between the gimble and the aircraft. There are two grey ribbon cables that connect to the top of the gimble housing. As I was investigating I found a pinched wire on the larger/longer cable.  The pinch was under the gimble bracket that mounts to the bottom of the quad. Evidently this was done during assembly at the factory.  The cable wasn't properly nestled into the groove molded into the body assembly.
The smaller/shorter ribbon cable plugs into the VPS housing area.

Natalia could you give me some direction as to what these two cables do? I know the larger one carries power to the gimble motors.  Does it also provide power and video feed from the camera? What does the smaller cable do?

Thanks for all your help!
2016-10-31
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

OkiePhlyer Posted at 2016-10-29 16:59
The antennas were parallel.  I failed to mention that.

The point is that  P3P has been completely r ...

did you recently update the RC firmware by any chance to 1.8?

2016-10-31
Use props
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2016-11-1 11:49
did you recently update the RC firmware by any chance to 1.8?

No I am still using 1.5.70. It has been flawless for my setup so I have stayed there. I did order the cable set today so hopefully I will be up and running again next week.
2016-11-1
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

OkiePhlyer Posted at 2016-11-1 16:52
No I am still using 1.5.70. It has been flawless for my setup so I have stayed there. I did order  ...

thanks,
fwiw stay there......fw wise
2016-11-1
Use props
OkiePhlyer
lvl.2
United States

I got the cable set in the mail over the weekend and replaced the small grey ribbon cable that plugs into the Lightbridge module.  I decided to try this cable first on the assumption that the problem was somewhere between the camera and the video transmission back to the Tx.
Turns out I was correct.  The new cable has corrected the problem. For good measure I checked continuity in the old cable and had a wire that didn't check out initially. I had read that sometimes the wires can pull out a little from the connector so I pushed them all back in and checked continuity again and they all worked this time around. Hopefully the new cable will hold up and I won't have this issue again. If so I know where to start next time. Hope this info helps someone else.
2016-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules