Dangerous First Flight
3502 34 2016-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

Just walked into my house after taking my Mavic on its first flight...Holy crap!! Something is very wrong!! I almost lost the aircraft twice to the controller not responding. Aircraft spun in circle like the exorcist. It them decided to go into "auto pilot" and fly away. I'm like..you got to be kidding me!! Nothing on controller worked...Nothing. It finally stopped and hovered about 6 feet off the ground about 100 yards away..again nothing. I ended up grabbing the thing out of the air and turning it off. Ok...DJI what the heck!!? LOL. This thing is going on the shelf until I hear something...

2016-10-29
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

I don't have a Mavic (yet - thanks DJI), but did own a Phantom 3 and other GPS quads so before the real experts offer help...

Did you calibrate the compass?
It might be worth calibrating the controller too... should be covered in the manual.
You may get asked to post flight logs so might also be an idea to look for a "how to" on this.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
2016-10-29
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Video?  Flight logs?
2016-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Flight logs would help
2016-10-29
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

I did calibrate the aircraft but not the controller. I'll try that...
2016-10-29
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Guys is there a "how to" on downloading and posting flight logs? (I'm sure there is but trying to be helpful here - perhaps a link?)
2016-10-29
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

Let me post those logs...now how do I do that? let me see
2016-10-29
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-29 15:15
Guys is there a "how to" on downloading and posting flight logs? (I'm sure there is but trying to be ...

2016-10-29
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Flight logs help video was posted in another thread, but it's hard to keep up where everything has been posted!!

Schwavic beat me to it! (Repetition of link deleted)
2016-10-29
Use props
davcom1
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Brilliant - thanks Schwavic (and Rick)!

Also - Michael note the support contact numbers here DJI Support Contact Details
2016-10-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Are you on an iPhone?  Hasn't the Android version worked fine for others?
2016-10-29
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

iPhone...i actually think its the iPhone
2016-10-29
Use props
heyengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>

Check out these videos.  He lost control of the Mavic and crashed it while spiraling in circles.  Did your Mavic behave the same way?

2016-10-29
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

very similar...
2016-10-29
Use props
Mrimstad
lvl.3
Norway

I admit i was werry sceptic to all the crash reports. No offense, theres just so many new pilots out there.
Most of wich dont even know what real manual flight is like.
This however is a little wicked. I wonder how many fw releases theres going to be beefore i get my mavic..
Good that you documented it at least.
2016-10-29
Use props
qMvQTfjUrm4z
lvl.4

United States

Scary.  Following.
2016-10-29
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-29
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

skyrider -- I get where you are coming from here, but I've seen several posts from different people describing the same phenomenon.    I doubt 3 beginners could replicate the same disastrous behavior.
2016-10-29
Use props
tim.www
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100833 ft
United States

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-29 15:12
I don't have a Mavic (yet - thanks DJI), but did own a Phantom 3 and other GPS quads so before the r ...

I flew my friend's mavic today (he's a very experienced pilot, I've had a P4 since the spring) and the drone was behaving spot on (it is really amazing).  But I'm cautious because I believe there must be a real issue if only we can figure out what the trigger conditions are...
2016-10-29
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Whatever it is, relax.

It's a Samsung issue. DJI will urge them to fix it, so everything is fine. Stop complaining.

/S

2016-10-29
Use props
colonel0000
lvl.2

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-30 15:24
Whatever it is, relax.

It's a Samsung issue. DJI will urge them to fix it, so everything is fine.  ...

I thought the issue with Samsung phones was that the app was causing the phone to crash or vice versa.  Have all of these similar reported issues been with only Samsung phones?  
2016-10-29
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

colonel0000 Posted at 2016-10-30 15:48
I thought the issue with Samsung phones was that the app was causing the phone to crash or vice ve ...

I personally read his comment as a joke. DJI passing the buck to another company who has crazy issues.
2016-10-30
Use props
colonel0000
lvl.2

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-30 16:07
I personally read his comment as a joke. DJI passing the buck to another company who has crazy iss ...

Well, I had seen reports from people that said that the Samsung S7/S7 Edge would crash/restart when running the DJI app.  Supposedly, it was a Samsung issue that DJI was absolving itself from.  As a user of an S7 Edge and someone patiently waiting for his Mavic, I've been interested in these topics.  

If it was in jest then that's fine but maybe add a smiley or something to indicate that.  Otherwise, I'm left to be concerned on two fronts.  First, there still seems to be an issue with recent Samsung phones and second, the Mavic seems to possibly have issues with its current setup.
2016-10-30
Use props
colonel0000
lvl.2

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-30 16:07
I personally read his comment as a joke. DJI passing the buck to another company who has crazy iss ...

Well, I had seen reports from people that said that the Samsung S7/S7 Edge would crash/restart when running the DJI app.  Supposedly, it was a Samsung issue that DJI was absolving itself from.  As a user of an S7 Edge and someone patiently waiting for his Mavic, I've been interested in these topics.  

If it was in jest then that's fine but maybe add a smiley or something to indicate that.  Otherwise, I'm left to be concerned on two fronts.  First, there still seems to be an issue with recent Samsung phones and second, the Mavic seems to possibly have issues with its current setup.
2016-10-30
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

colonel0000 Posted at 2016-10-30 01:15
Well, I had seen reports from people that said that the Samsung S7/S7 Edge would crash/restart whe ...

The S7 is specifically absent from the compatibility list...
2016-10-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Did you take off indoor or out door?
Could you please sync the flight records and provide me with the DJI account email?
2016-10-30
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

We're you going to post the video from your flight and post your flight logs/path?
2016-10-30
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

skyrider420@out Posted at 2016-10-29 22:46
Is this your first time flying a drone?

No. I've built and owed several drones. This is definitely a flaw in the software. I don't think it was interference either.
2016-10-30
Use props
michaelfranklin
lvl.1

United States

Yes. I haven't gotten to it but I'll try today. Thanks everyone for your help.
2016-10-30
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Yes, it was a joke, sorry for the lack of smily
Note I did end with '/S' meaning 'end of sarcasm'...

However when I consider how close I came to ordering a Mavic and how there is still an issue with the S7, there are still issues with shipping and now there seems to be issues with the bird itself, I'm glad I decided to wait. And it's not really a laughing matter for those who have paid their money but either don't have a bird or have one that doesn't respond to controls etc.

I still want one but the way things are going I think I'll just buy myself one as a birthday present.

In June.

2016-10-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

michaelfranklin Posted at 2016-10-30 23:14
Yes. I haven't gotten to it but I'll try today. Thanks everyone for your help.

What is your email that you use for your DJI account and also sync the flight records to the cloud and I will take a look at your flight.
2016-10-30
Use props
poppylfh-sp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3902884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question for Ken or other DJI rep. If the Mavic goes into one of these uncontrolled spins etc and RTH button doesn't work, would turning off or unpluging the RC force it took go into RTH mode? I know this would not be best way to handle this type of situation, but if it did work, it might be better than what is being described by the users in this thread and others.
2016-10-31
Use props
bigcheese
lvl.2
Flight distance : 403304 ft
Germany

perhaps the controller is some how hanging and giving strange commands to the mavic? therefore i would give it a try to witching the controller off... but i guess themlogs are providing this information exactly... would be interesting to get the explanation for this
2016-10-31
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-31 04:35
What is your email that you use for your DJI account and also sync the flight records to the cloud ...

Hi DJI Ken, we all would like to know what is happening. Any information you can share?
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

davcom1 Posted at 2016-10-29 22:15
Guys is there a "how to" on downloading and posting flight logs? (I'm sure there is but trying to be ...

You can go to healthydrones.com upload and download here , your flight record on dji go app just upload to Dropbox and you can post here.
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules