Mavic Pro overheating
19563 13 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CwpZ0ey8cGLr
lvl.1

Spain

Is anybody experienced an overheating aircraft. The fan inside my mavic start running full speed aprox. 1minute after turning on, even with the motors off. The battery drains in 40 minutes without any fly. Is it normal?
2016-10-30
Use props
Kuzz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136900 ft

That doesn't sound normal. When you say it drains within 40 minutes without any fly? Do you actually have it turned on though? Or are you saying it drains within 40 minutes just sitting on the side being turned off. If so that's 100% not normal.

If you're just leaving it on but not flying then yes 40 minutes could be possible but I have no idea about it's idle battery life. Also with all motors off and it running the fan at full speed, that doesn't sound right. How hot is it where you are? I'd be careful you don't want it having a melt down.
2016-10-30
Use props
CwpZ0ey8cGLr
lvl.1

Spain

The battery only drains when the aircraft is turning on. It becoming hot but not super hot, like the old MacBooks pro under a high workload.
2016-10-30
Use props
fans463b5c6d
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fan will come on when its just sitting doing nothing as it will start warming up. The Mavic is designed to fly not be a paperweight. If you don't intent to fly then just leave it off. If you are doing a firmware update then it will likely use some battery power ( needs to be over 50% anyway ). Any other reason you decide to power it on for long duration without flying then expect it to get warm and expect the fan to be on all the time..
Also says you are in spain so ambient is going to be higher then say in the UK where I am and will have an impact n the Mavic's core temperature.

Remember, the Mavic is for flying not gawking at whilst sat on the floor
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi CwpZ0ey8cGLr, did you full charged the battery before turned on?
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans463b5c6d Posted at 2016-10-31 08:29
The fan will come on when its just sitting doing nothing as it will start warming up. The Mavic is d ...

WTF happened to my username there? fans463b5c6d ??
2016-10-31
Use props
CwpZ0ey8cGLr
lvl.1

Spain

fans463b5c6d Posted at 2016-10-31 16:29
The fan will come on when its just sitting doing nothing as it will start warming up. The Mavic is d ...

Many Thanks for you advice!  Nice British sense of humor. So, I don´t need to worry about the fan running like crazy? BTW I´m in the Pyrenees, probably colder than most of the places in the UK, Spain is a bit more than Costa Dourada, Madrid and siesta. Thanks again dude.
2016-10-31
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CwpZ0ey8cGLr Posted at 2016-10-31 12:01
Many Thanks for you advice!  Nice British sense of humor. So, I don´t need to worry about the fan ...

Pyrenees, hope to see some great video/photos from there
2016-10-31
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Well there is a multicore CPU & GPU at work in the Mavic and i guess a good "energy saving" mode was not on top of the priority list and is has to handle the gimbal & streaming & encoding all the time even when the Mavic is sitting still.
So the fan is turned on for the benefit of the CPU/GPU, not the ESC's.
So i dont actually thing the "brain" will eat up much more compared to the in-flight situation.
But usually the motors take up a *much* higher portion of the energy drain so it doesnt matter at all.
But 40 Minutes seems a bit harsh.
(And yes its a comparable situation on the Bebop wich also gets quite hot & is spinning the fan. The 12-minute flight time battery gets sucked dry in about 90 minutes without flying. Thats a more healthy ratio).

So: behaviour in principle seems normal, 40 minutes is too short IMHO.

Nils
2016-10-31
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Perfectly normal. Just let the fan do its thing regardless of the noise. The Phantom 4 is just as noisy, both sitting idle and during flight. With the Mavic's rather tight casing being so small and the fact that it's running a multicore 12-core cpu/gpu, there's quite a bit of power in there to keep under control with the temps, just like with any modern computer. I've heard temps are very high and warm after a flight, so it's normal. Definitely want to wait a while for the aircraft to cool off before each flight.
2016-10-31
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-10-31 14:03
Perfectly normal. Just let the fan do its thing regardless of the noise. The Phantom 4 is just as no ...

Flying will cool it better, so no need to wait really. Temps should not raise more if you keep flying. If it does, it is a design-fault.
2016-10-31
Use props
MadMike1961
New

Germany

Can the Mavic overheat when flying with the Gimbal Cover?
2016-12-23
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

MadMike1961 Posted at 2016-12-23 12:11
Can the Mavic overheat when flying with the Gimbal Cover?

No, On the first version of the firmware i remember some heat issues, but that has now been addressed. the Gimbal bubble has vent holes to allow airflow.
2016-12-23
Use props
BaddogTwo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2783189 ft
United States

So I have updated the firmware on the Mavic.  I was sitting in my office just going through the process of enabling "multiple flight mode".  I read that you need to do this, so when I go out to fly later I can switch to sports mode.  The controller and Mavic battery were on for maybe 5 to 8 minutes while actually tried to locate the menu to enable "multiple flight mode".  After I set the mode, I tested to make sure I could switch to sport mode.  Once confirmed I powered off.  I picked the Mavic up and it was very hot on the bottom side of the drone to where it hurt to touch
2017-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules