12Next >
6092 44 2015-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

Hey fellow forum peeps,

Now, the answer might be so simple that I must have GPS sat lock to start them up, but........... it's -30 up here and I'm working on at this very moment, night time, etc..............

I installed the upgraded antennas for controller and bird from these guys.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php? ... &product_id=112

During the installation of the antennas for the controller board, it got broken, so had to order a new one.
Replaced the existing one, and instead of trying to remove the antenna connectors from the board (black glue of death) this time, I cut and soldered the new antenna lead from the board to the new antenna "cable" for the upgraded antennas, taking care regarding outer and inner wires when soldering together.

Rebound controller to bird, re-calibrated IMU (advanced) calibrated the compas and suppose to be good to go, unfortunately NOT.  Everything seems correct, but motors won't start up.

Re-loaded all current firmware on bird and controller (not 3.10) and rebound controller again (just in case) - still motors won't start up.

Now, the vision app has a symbol in bottom right corner - triangle with exclamation mark in it, flashing yellow to red and back, and it stated click for more details, but to no avail, no other information "pops up".

app.png

I was hoping that this would tell me something.

Another question, can you fire up the phantom without any GPS satellites, just to verify everything works?, prior to going outside and ensuring GPS sat lock. As you can fly manuallly, so it should fire up, and the LEDs are what they are, am I not correct in this assumption? (my initial statement at the beginning)

Any assistance with my troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

2015-2-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Did you disconnect the gps antenna in the Phantom?
2015-2-5
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

was disconnected, re-calibrated it and still won't go
2015-2-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-6 11:42
was disconnected, re-calibrated it and still won't go

Did you plug the gps antenna back into the right plug?  The plug is on the edge of the mainboard right above the battery and it says GPS.  It is to the right of the 4 white plugs.  With the GPS plugged in somewhere else, it won't start.
2015-2-5
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

yes, it was plugged in correctly and in correct plug
2015-2-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-6 12:11
yes, it was plugged in correctly and in correct plug

Well, you have other problems somewhere there.  I haven't used that equipment, so I'm hoping someone else will jump in here.
2015-2-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The:

"Replaced the existing one, and instead of trying to remove the antenna connectors from the board (black glue of death) this time, I cut and soldered the new antenna lead from the board to the new antenna "cable" for the upgraded antennas, taking care regarding outer and inner wires when soldering together."

Is a problem. I am not sure if this directly relates to your start up issues, but you cannot do this to an antenna connection.

RF Antennas have a specific matching impedance (not resistance but impedance - still measured in Ohms) and a specific length based on the RF frequency. This needs to be either a multiple or whole fraction of the wavelength. e.g. 1/2 or 1/4 wavelength.

By cutting (antenna length) and soldering (Impedance mismatch) you have changed both of these.

Unfortunately my advice would be to purchase another antenna and struggle with the "black glue of death". Even if you manage to get the motors started.

Your antenna at best will be "unpredictable".

Cheers

2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

Do all your controller sticks and switches move normally through the full range when looking at the Phantom assistant RC screen?
Can you please post a screen shot of your IMU values.
Double check that your transmitter is still in Mode 2, it's a far shot but what the heck.
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

Yes, all sticks and switches move normally through full range (V2.0 controller), and is in mode 2.

ScrASUVORK5CYII=[/img]
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

app2.png
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

bjr981s Posted at 2015-2-6 20:07
The:

"Replaced the existing one, and instead of trying to remove the antenna connectors from the bo ...

Yes, I did replace it again after soldering with another new one - virgin - (bought 2 just in case) and still the motors don't start up.

I'm thinking that you have to have at least 1 or 2 GPS sat locks in order to start, going to go and test this now.

Cheers
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

Shows you are in failsafe,  did you have the transmitter off?
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

no, transmitter was not off
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

was your switch at failsafe?
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

no, S1 is at IOC and S2 is on GPS
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

please show a screenshot with the Basic -- RC screen
FYI no Sat lock required to start motors but GPS must be connected.
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

That's another thing, I can't toggle IOC "on" in assistant software

app3.png

and here is the screen shot of basic RC screen - it is in Failsafe and I can't change it?

app4.png
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 01:37
That's another thing, I can't toggle IOC "on" in assistant software

To change that, you have to put a checkmark in the Intelligent orientation control.  That will activate the NAZA and the switches when you have the Phantom connected and powered up.
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

yep, it won't let me put a check mark in the box, i try but it won't accept
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

And your stick on your remote are centered, right?  
Well it ain't gonna start with your sticks so far out of whack
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

have another problem, Vision app on tablet says configuration error, reboot

and it seems that the MC can't see the controller, even though I can bind it with the unit
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 01:41
yep, it won't let me put a check mark in the box, i try but it won't accept

The IOC has nothing to do with your problem,  from what I see you have no connection to your transmitter or something is really f'd up.  Do the A E T R stick axis move on the Assistant when you move the stick on your transmitter?
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

I am wondering if I F'd up the Naza M when doing my antenna mods, buy potentially reversing the controller connectors, might have screwed it up.
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

no, the sliders don't move when I move the sticks on the controller
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 02:05
I am wondering if I F'd up the Naza M when doing my antenna mods, buy potentially reversing the cont ...

what do you mean by reversing the controller connection?
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

on the new Controller board when I installed it, I may have (cant' remember exactly- tired, late, etc - my own worst enemy) if I had the connectors X1 & X2 reversed initially, which may have messed up the MC
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

If you had X1 on X2 and vice versa but the orientation correct then no problem but if you if you had the connectors rotated 180deg then yes that could cause an issue.  Maybe just your receiver module SBus output fried.
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

The issue from what I can tell, is that the unit is stuck in failsafe mode and can't "see" the controller or has lost TX somehow.  The board that is in it now is a virgin/new board, and i didn't mess the connections up on it, but as I said, on an earlier one, I may have put them on backwards as you said above, can't remember.  Might have to send it in for a "check up".

Thanks for trying.
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 02:32
The issue from what I can tell, is that the unit is stuck in failsafe mode and can't "see" the contr ...

It goes into failsafe because it doesn't see the receiver/transmitter
Well for the fun of it try a hard reset of the Naza-M
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

going to attempt this now, will let you know, I have cable that will do what he says.

Wish me luck lol
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

swomilan.hotmai Posted at 2015-2-7 02:40
It goes into failsafe because it doesn't see the receiver/transmitter
Well for the fun of it try a ...

did as instructed in the video, made no difference, same issue.  I think I F'd up MC.
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 03:35
did as instructed in the video, made no difference, same issue.  I think I F'd up MC.

Well it was worth a try.
Salud!
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

thanks for your help, better than nothing
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 03:39
thanks for your help, better than nothing

One question, where are you connecting the usb cable to the Phantom?
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

to the main port at the front of the unit, curious though, where else would it plug in on the bird?
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

besides the camera?
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 04:29
to the main port at the front of the unit, curious though, where else would it plug in on the bird?

A lot of people will connect it to the camera port.  Since you cut and soldered wires from the antenna,  I think you have toasted the on board flight controller.
2015-2-6
Use props
richard.parsons
lvl.1

Canada

that's what I think too, although, when I did the soldering, the battery was out of the case, and nothing was connected to the antenna board, but if I accidentally switched the X1 & X2 connectors (180degrees) which I think I did, that could have done it.

Have ordered a new MC and once it is in, I'll know almost for sure, what I did wrong, and lesson learned. lol

Will see once it arrives on Monday or Tuesday.
Cheers
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

richard.parsons Posted at 2015-2-7 04:35
that's what I think too, although, when I did the soldering, the battery was out of the case, and no ...

Good luck with that
2015-2-6
Use props
kenbruggenthies
lvl.1

United States

Would pairing the remote to the copter help remove the failsafe? Maybe the pairing was lost while unplugging and soldering etc.
2015-2-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules