Bobbing videos with Osmo Mobile...
4511 16 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cyril.Szczepani
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13783 ft

Hi,

I recently bought the iPhone 7 Plus for a use with my DJI Osmo Mobile. The problem is that I have a constant "bobbing" or "shaking" effect on my videos, even if I practice the "ninja walk"... I use the last DJI Go app update with the last firmware.

Here's a link to download a video I made to show you what I mean :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l81vgtratk02fto/Fichier%2031-10-2016%2015%2039%2033.mov?dl=0

I also have a problem with the "M Timelipse", the camera is shaking during the record with no reason...

How to fix these problems ?

Thank you !
2016-10-31
Use props
Cyril.Szczepani
lvl.2
France

I have uploaded the video on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=grQEJsN2yX0&u=/watch%3Fv%3D4rpGvuxz_vc%26feature%3Dem-upload_owner

2016-10-31
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft

What're your settings? Might be that 4k is too much for your card, or your computer - what's your fps?
2016-10-31
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

Cyril.Szczepani Posted at 2016-11-1 01:29
I have uploaded the video on YouTube : Here it is

The issue you are experiencing effects those device that have OIS built in to the lens (iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus). Many users have posted clips that exhibit the same results, myself included.

DJI's response in the forum is to walk slowly using the ninja walk, but this doesn't completely eliminate the bobbing. If you shoot a test with your OSMO using your iPhone's front facing camera, you will see just how much smoother it is, and thus confirm the OIS as the culprit.

In the end, I purchased an iPhone SE without OIS and the results have been better, but this isn't a real solution for most, and the SE still isn't perfect. You just have to change how you use the OSMO Mobile to take into account the OIS fighting with the gimbal.
2016-10-31
Use props
Cyril.Szczepani
lvl.2

Bartone Posted at 2016-11-1 07:54
What're your settings? Might be that 4k is too much for your card, or your computer - what's your fp ...

I've tried both 1080p (60 fps @ 30fps) and 4K (30fps), same result. I don't have SD Card on my Phone (iPhone 7 Plus 128go) and my computer is a Macbook Pro 2014 with the highest settings. But it doesn't matter for the second point cause I can see this "bobbing effect" before transfering it on my computer.
2016-10-31
Use props
Cyril.Szczepani
lvl.2

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-11-1 08:33
The issue you are experiencing effects those device that have OIS built in to the lens (iPhone 6s  ...

Oh really... So bad to read that :/

So it means that we will never have a patch or something to correct the conflicts with the OIS? The Osmo Mobile is a new product, it is a shame to know that it's not compatible with the last phones currently on the market...
2016-10-31
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Cyril.Szczepani Posted at 2016-11-1 08:52

So it means that we will never have a patch or something to c ...

i heard that all the handheld gimbal in the market now have the same issue with the OIS..
2016-10-31
Use props
BlackCroc
lvl.1

Ey1990 Posted at 2016-11-1 11:52
i heard that all the handheld gimbal in the market now have the same issue with the OIS..

I don't know why I am experiencing this "bobbing" effect even with my iPhone 6s when recording in 4K with DJI Go app. I am afraid in this issue there is a significative negative contribution of the DJI App in itself, as on other thread I saw tests with third party apps that seem performing better (even for phones equipped with OIS).
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

BlackCroc Posted at 2016-11-1 16:51
I don't know why I am experiencing this "bobbing" effect even with my iPhone 6s when recording in  ...

It really shouldn't. The OIS stuff is a hardware thing, and no gimbals in the markets or any 3rd party apps can turn it completely off.
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Cyril.Szczepani Posted at 2016-10-31 20:52

So it means that we will never have a patch or something to c ...

I'm sorry to say that there wouldn't be a patch for this, since it's a hardware thing, the OIS can't be turned off completely.
2016-11-1
Use props
BlackCroc
lvl.1

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 14:19
It really shouldn't. The OIS stuff is a hardware thing, and no gimbals in the markets or any 3rd pa ...

Here for your reference a small extract from a video I did just walking (no Ninja, just standard walk).
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-MXGGGpYZ-mdGh3QjdFekNSaUE
I don't know how you can call it, different from OIS effect eventually, but you see kind of "shocks" that I cannot expect from a video coming from a stabilized Gimbal.
That's why the overall quality is not there....

Unfortunately I discovered this after coming back from holidays and now that I did comparative testing I can say, as other people affirmed in this forum, that with Filmic pro this effect seems not to be there (even with the standard iPhone camera is better than what here).
The video has been originally shot in 4k (last DJI Go update, previous firmware release in iPhone 6s with iOS 10.0.2) cut and reduced to 720p  just for sharing here. I updated the Gimbal to latest firmware but no significative improvements.
I am available to share at full res if it can help to improve.
2016-11-2
Use props
Cyril.Szczepani
lvl.2
France

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 07:20
I'm sorry to say that there wouldn't be a patch for this, since it's a hardware thing, the OIS can ...

So bad to read this... So now I have a product that I cannot use properly with my phone, and the 15 days to return it are over... What's the solution?
2016-11-3
Use props
fans23de4289
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 14:20
I'm sorry to say that there wouldn't be a patch for this, since it's a hardware thing, the OIS can ...

Sorry? You said sorry? You should writhe this at your homepage BEFORE we buy it. You should warn of this problem BEFORE, not here in a forum.
2016-11-3
Use props
calmplex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20922 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-2 14:20

that sucks... in other post you say there's a fix in the works... which for users like me it gives us hope and prevents us from returning it to get our money back. this is a problem you really should clearly indicate to potential buyers. this has been a really disappointing experience for a first time DJI product buyer.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans8af42967
lvl.1

calmplex Posted at 2016-11-7 01:14
that sucks... in other post you say there's a fix in the works... which for users like me it gives ...

DJI should disclose up front that Osmo Mobile is not going to work properly on devices with OIS and stop giving promises that there will be fixes to something you guys already acknowledge can't be fixed.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans1e5be675
New

South Korea

I almost bought this gimbal until I read and watched some videos shot with this gimbal. Now, I'm convinced this is unusable because of those jitters. Bobbing effects, maybe you can get around with your "walk." But those jitters that seem to happen constantly during the recording is something you cannot train for, nor fix in the post. It seems like the camera is constantly fighting with the gimbal to adjust.

DJI has made it clear that this is an issue they alone cannot solve. Nor, did they make clear that wether this is something Apple can fix. Is DJI even talking with Apple on this issue? One only has to wonder. But until the fix is in order and unless you are only shooting your family and pets... I think this device is useless.

And saying that all gimbals have this issue with OIS is not an answer. They should make it absolutely clear to customers that this is a known issue that affects many customers who shoot professionally.
2016-11-7
Use props
Cyril.Szczepani
lvl.2
France

Finally I sold my Osmo Mobile and bought the classic Osmo. Works so much better than the mobile version...
2016-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules