decentered lens?
2861 18 2016-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

I have noticed in several vids and also my own about soft corners in the film. anyone having the same issue. DJI has offered a exchange. I just dont want to have to wait or it may just be user error but I have focused to infinity like suggested. i'll be doing more tests tomorrow. you can see in my video below on the trees to the bottom left hand corner at 1 min mark. It sucks because you don't notice these things until you download the footage to a comp and get to see in full resolution to see if things are really entirely in focus because during flight the screens we look at are so small.

2016-10-31
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

It's not even just the bottom left, but the whole left edge...  
2016-10-31
Use props
MattN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
United States

I've seen a couple videos with this. It could be user error possibly where they auto focused. But I do know there are a couple of Mavic out there ware the sensors looked like they were not aligned properly with the lenses.. They Can possibly be fixed with a firmware update for those specific serial numbers. But I bet there's going to be a few replacements for this..One of the first things I'm going to do when I finally get mine in the mail, is boot it up and shoot outside and check all the edges to make sure they look crisp acnd clean..
2016-10-31
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

I know with DSLR camera lenses, it's often suggested to take photos of brick walls to check for decentering.  Perhaps this would work with photos and video from the Mavic?
2016-10-31
Use props
fansb5f20990
lvl.1

I'm thinking of doing a bridge shot tomorrow just get nervous taking it out so far lol... Hopefully nothing goes wrong.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a hardware issue, not software. No amount of firmware will fix this according to previous reports. People have sent in their Mavics to have this repaired. This issue specifically occurs when the lens element is not properly aligned in the camera.
2016-10-31
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2

We've seen lots of similar reports like this here before, and this starts to really scare me - i only bought (no: pre-ordered ;) )
this thing to have a "flying panorama landscape camera" to carry around in my photo backpack.

If the pics from the cam on my Mavic (whenever i'll receive it) look like that, i'll send it right back.

Everyone coming from DSLRs knows that most lenses with wide open aperture tend to be a bit soft at the edges of the frame.

But: they are EVENLY soft in EACH edge of the frame - center is usually the sharpest, the "sweet spot".
Go to any photography forum with this and you'll get "de-centered, mis-aligned lens" type of answers.

What adds in to the equation here is: Mavic's 3-axis-stabilized gimbal.
In flight, the gimbal has a lot to do to keep the image stabilized while the drone moves, and it's somewhat "magic" how good and sharp some of the footage looks across the frame. SOME of it.

Maybe the stabilization adds more blur to the corners? Don't know.
Can the stabilization add more blur to one corner/side than the other? Don't know either.

I do hope it's a stabilization issue, however, because THAT could be cured by a FW update.

I don't hope it's like with the Sigma lenses from ~5-10 years ago ("buy 5, pick the one that's sharp,
send the other 4 back"). Sigma is pretty fine by now, they have good QC established.

OTOH, what should DJI do? Deliver as much (not-that-good-QC'd) units as soon as possible because
people keep complaining about late delivery, or deliver good-QC'd units months later... ??
2016-10-31
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

United States

colonel00 Posted at 2016-10-31 22:44
I know with DSLR camera lenses, it's often suggested to take photos of brick walls to check for dece ...

I will do brick walls video and other tests today and post. thanks
2016-11-1
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

jmoya03-sp Posted at 2016-11-1 22:18
I will do brick walls video and other tests today and post. thanks

Any update on that test?
2016-11-2
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

T_A_Rogers Posted at 2016-11-3 05:38
Any update on that test?

I've shot it just haven't had time to upload it. But it is soft no matter what I do. I'm sending it back.
2016-11-2
Use props
Airwater
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
United Kingdom

Can you focus on the left if you tap there? I have soft right but oddly, I can focus and make it sharp, but then the centre and left go soft.
2016-11-2
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Airwater Posted at 2016-11-3 00:07
Can you focus on the left if you tap there? I have soft right but oddly, I can focus and make it sha ...

100% normal when things are not in line with each-other.
2016-11-2
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

This REALLY sucks! More and more are popping up with this. I guess some are really lucky to have a good camera.
2016-11-2
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
United States

I'd say keep whatever Mavic you get until they can send you back a good one within a reasonable time frame. No use sending it back a 95% good one now and not getting a new one for several months.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

jmoya03-sp Posted at 2016-11-3 07:04
I've shot it just haven't had time to upload it. But it is soft no matter what I do. I'm sending i ...

Replied to you in the other thread, can you post the wall video.
2016-11-2
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-3 11:56
Replied to you in the other thread, can you post the wall video.

2016-11-8
Use props
sanuk
lvl.4
Australia

My Sony mobile with it's 20MP camera also has a similar de-centering problem - left side has a blurry band along the whole extreme edge. I can live with it by cropping out the left 10% of the frame, if need be, but it can be a pain with video.

I think with such super-small, multi-element lenses - like the Mavic's and mobile lense modules - the level of manufacturing precision required to get all the lens elements properly aligned across the image plane must be incredible.
2016-11-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-9 04:27
My Sony mobile with it's 20MP camera also has a similar de-centering problem - left side has a blurr ...

Not really. It might be a batch of bad lenses that are not cut correctly. They are all "locked" when placed in the lens. So that they cannot move, except the electronic part that moves back and forth to be able to focus.
2016-11-8
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I'm curious if issues like this are being fixed yet, or if DJI just expects the people who notice to send it back?  clearly something that needs to be rectified, but zero updates from DJI . . . .
2016-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules