Camera plastic bubble cracked!
1410 4 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Air Maestro
New

United States

My plastic bubble that protects the camera broke.  No big deal.  I went online to order a replacement and it's 25 days out!  Do any of the other covers work on this model or is it specific to the mavic?

TIA!
M

2016-11-5
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

How did it crack ? I was worried about that as well
2016-11-5
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

JFXMedia Posted at 2016-11-5 10:38
How did it crack ? I was worried about that as well

This is just a guess...
Almost every video out there shows people grabbing the dome by the sides, pinching and trying to pull it off. The clip latch is behind the dome! I don't know why everyone in these unboxing videos pulls out the packet with the quick start guide, and just throws it aside! They are also big on telling people the dome is only for transport. Best of all, they pop the dome off, and then power on the Mavic, not realizing (because they did not read the guide) that the gimbal clamp is still on! So, if a person grabbed by the sides, because that's what they see in the videos, I could understand that.
It's also possible, because it's round, to roll off the table, and you could accidentally step on it?
In the end, the gimbal clamp is far more important than the dome, as it holds the gimbal in place, where the dome is just a cover, and does not protect against shocks during transport.
There are a couple people on this forum that have talked about gluing a piece of red ribbon (maybe 2" long) to the clamp, so you don't forget to take it off. I saw another picture just yesterday where it was a printed label strop that said, "remove before flight", though it should read, "remove before powering on". This is because when you turn the Mavic on, it does a full range of motion on startup, and with the clamp on, it could damage the gimbal. The first firmware update for the Mavic included an adjustment to keep the gimbal from burning out if the clamp was accidentally left on during power up, as you see in so many videos.
It's a safe bet that replacement domes, props, additional batteries, and all other accessories are going to be delayed a couple months, as they can't even seem to get the Mavic itself to resellers. All in good time.
Again, the dome is not really that important, if you transport carefully. You should worry more about the gimbal clamp.
2016-11-5
Use props
Air Maestro
New

United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-5 12:38
This is just a guess...
Almost every video out there shows people grabbing the dome by the sides,  ...

Thanks.  It broke on a 'rough' landing.  

However, you are spot on.  This is my first drone.  There was zero mention of the clamp in the quick start guide.  I took out the drone...put on the bubble and started flying.  I kept getting alerts something was blocking the gimbal so I had no clue what was going on.  Then I happened to come to the forums and saw the video about removing the clamp.  I'm glad I didn't burn out a motor or something.  

As far as the 'bubble' in flight.  One thing I noticed is that it does seem to dampen the effects of wind on the video feed.  With the bubble on it is rock solid.  Without the bubble it seems a little jittery in higher winds.
2016-11-5
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Air Maestro Posted at 2016-11-6 02:08
Thanks.  It broke on a 'rough' landing.  

However, you are spot on.  This is my first drone.  T ...

but the bubble would create reflections yeah? It definitely is a good protective measure considering the position of the gimbal and looks like you've actually materialized that concern ;) I wish DJI issued a cover that sits closer to the camera in order to avoid reflections
2016-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules