P3A Loud Fan?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

I got a P3A new from DJI a couple of weeks back. I came from a P3S. I noticed right off the bat that the fan is pretty loud compared to the last one and it seems to change "tones" quite a bit. Has anyone else experienced this or is it typical for the P3A compared to the P3S? I thought it might go away when I calibrated the IMU, but no changes. All firmware is up to date.
2016-11-14
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Are you referring to a small fan on the top of the gimbal?  If so, that is interesting... I have both models, P3P and the P3A.  I bought my P3A back in January and it does NOT have a fan on the gimbal.

You might want to check and make sure there is no debris that might be causing a blockage.  When it's powered down give the fan a short blast or two with compressed air.  As long as it still runs I wouldn't worry about it.
2016-11-14
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

Gil Posted at 2016-11-14 11:59
Are you referring to a small fan on the top of the gimbal?  If so, that is interesting... I have bot ...

It sounds like it's a fan for the actual motor, it's loud. It did it from the get-go out of the box (bought it new), so I know there isn't any kind of a blockage. I am pretty sure something is faulty. I am having compass issues as well, thinking I need to just return it for a new one since I just got it.
2016-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AustrianOak82 Posted at 2016-11-15 06:37
It sounds like it's a fan for the actual motor, it's loud. It did it from the get-go out of the bo ...

There are 4 "actual motors" and the only fans they have are 9 inches across.
2016-11-14
Use props
Gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

OK, this was cramping my brain trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about but I think I know where the fan you're talking about is located.  It's the Vision Positioning Module -- it has a small fan in it and you can see the fan grill opening just inside the bottom of the battery box.  Yeah, it's a little noisy but nothing to worry about.

As far as the compass issues, are you calibrating it outside away from any metallic objects?
2016-11-14
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-14 15:48
There are 4 "actual motors" and the only fans they have are 9 inches across.

I misspoke when I said motor, I think you know exactly what I mean. I don't know how else to explain it, it sounds like an incredibly loud computer fan coming from the body itself. I figured there was a fan for the main circuitboard or something like that.

Something is wrong, it's making all kinds of noise and different pitches. I will get with DJI and see what they say.
2016-11-14
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

Gil Posted at 2016-11-14 17:50
OK, this was cramping my brain trying to figure out what the heck you were talking about but I think ...

With regard to the compass, yes. 3 different locations, several attempts each time. In the middle of my backyard on 13 acres, a field, and another field. No metal on my person. I started a ticket and per their request, sent some photos.
2016-11-14
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fan does make a noise I too have the Advance... a high pitch varying wine - but you can't hear it when your flying, and it flies just fine .....and the camera has no microphone anyway - As for compass issues - try calibrating again - even having a watch on your wrist can be a problem depends .... size type etc especially a "smartwatch" or "fitness tracker" can affect the compass calibration - Also check for your are the "K" value for your area on  - http://www.uavforecast.com/  - its the strength of the earths magnetic fields on a flying day needs to be lower than 5 for a good day. A bit like checking the wind strength etc.
2016-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SimonH78 Posted at 2016-11-15 18:43
The fan does make a noise I too have the Advance... a high pitch varying wine - but you can't hear i ...

"check for your are the "K" value for your area on  - http://www.uavforecast.com/  - its the strength of the earths magnetic fields on a flying day needs to be lower than 5 for a good day. A bit like checking the wind strength etc."

This is a complete myth.
K-index strength of 6, 7 or 8 will make no difference to your flying.
2016-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules