Will the 2012 Asus Nexus 7 32 gb .3g4g tablet work?
1683 6 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rbryant1492
lvl.2
United States

I am about to order my Refirbushed Phantom 3 Advanced and I think I have found a tablet Just not sure is its right.  In the Faq the Nexus 7 is listed but Walmart is selling a refurbished one at a good price and I have a gift card.
It's the Nexus 7 with 32 gigs and 3g 4G .
Will it still work if it's 2012 with the Dji app?

2016-11-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha rbryant,

Sorry, but it looks like it may not work on two counts.  The compatible list includes the Google Nexus 7 II which indicates a later model (the II) assuming that Asus makes the Nexus for Google at all.  And Asus may not make the Nexus for Google.  You will need to do some research on that (I have wondered about that before).

The age also does not bode well for your tablet.  These DJI products keep getting more and more advanced and the firmware upgrades pull more and more out of the these advanced products.  Many updates are causing serious problems for those using old devices.  

You may get lucky and someone with experience may say that your proposed system can work (I fly with two different non-compatible devices).  Good.  But you will have to beware of updates and upgrades that may stress your device and its ability to run the DJI GO app.  You may not be able to develop as DJI develops its product line.  But hey!  You will be able to fly an amazing product.  We will hope for you that your proposed system has worked in the past.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-11-17
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Hardly at all if not at all. The first generation of Nexus 7 2012 has only 1 gig of ram in total. Once the Android OS and supporting software gets loaded, there's not much overhead.  In this model's heyday, it was very snappy but if you did what I did and upgraded it to Lollypop, it surely will be too slow for use with the GO app. I wanted to use mine with my P3S but once I tried it, I saw that I needed a much faster tablet with more available ram. The GO app is really cpu intensive and once the tablet's cpu gets real hot, it throttles down quite a bit. The Nexus 7 2013 is entirely different and has plenty of power to spare. I opted for the Lenovo Tab2 A-10 which was on sale in October for $149.  I Will Never Look Back.  
2016-11-17
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Betamace is correct...the 2012 Nexus only has 1 gig of ram where the Nexus 11 has 2 gig of ram and a nice 1.5ghz quad core cpu. I have the Nexus 11 as a backup tablet and it works fine with the Go app. There is next to no bloatware on it...Im pretty sure I have about 1.2 gig of free ram to run the App. Whatever you do DONT buy the 2012 model !!! Cheers mate!!
2016-11-17
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

I have a 2012 google nexus 7 and as said it will not work , i have just bought the nexus 7 ll and this works great with the app ,

The old nexus had no camera on the back and the words nexus engraved in the portrait potion on the back case

The new one  has a camera on the back of the tablet and the words nexus are engraved in the back case in landscape

The new nexus I bought was advertised as a google nexus 2013 model ,the back case has nexus in landscape and Asus in portrait near the charging USB point
Hope this helps
2016-11-17
Use props
rbryant1492
lvl.2
United States

Thanks guys.  I just found a lenovo A 10 from Walmart. How about it.Anybody using it.
Betamace do you like yours?  
2016-11-17
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Betamace Posted at 2016-11-17 19:58
Hardly at all if not at all. The first generation of Nexus 7 2012 has only 1 gig of ram in total. On ...

Does the RADAR work on the GO app with the Lenovo????
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules