2694 14 2016-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InforGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 165774 ft
United States

Good Day Everyone,

I am a new Phantom 4 owner and have a newbie question about filming golf courses.  I did look around on the forum prior to posting and didn't find anything similar, however if there is already something posted, I apologize and please advise.

I am wondering if any of the intelligent features on the Phantom 4 would make my life easier when it comes to creating a hole-by-hole tour of a golf course.  Obviously, I know I could fly manually, but I would like to know if anyone has done this and if there is any advice one may be able to offer.  Specically when it comes to holes that are not straight (dog leg) and the drone would have to turn a corner.

I do know I could fly at a higher altitude and capture the entire area, but I am looking for stay below the tree line from tee to green.  

Thank you very much,
Patrick
2016-11-19
Use props
ilav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153179 ft
Canada

Way point flight mode
2016-11-19
Use props
InforGuy
lvl.2
United States

Thank you for the reply.  I probably should have just kept reading before posting.  Seems like waypoints are the way to go.  I also read about a 3rd party app called Litchi that seems like it would make life really easy.
2016-11-19
Use props
Crack The Sky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 123402 ft
United States

InforGuy Posted at 2016-11-19 15:59
Thank you for the reply.  I probably should have just kept reading before posting.  Seems like waypo ...

Litchi is what you are going to want. Start with a simple flight plan, (4-5) way points. Be sure you understand altitude settings and triple check your flight plan.
2016-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Litchi is the way to go simple and very smooth. Good luck
2016-11-19
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

I did this for a local golf course, flew it manually , free golf works for me

2016-11-19
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

I would have used the litchi app, would have eliminated the sudden jerking, would have been simple use the litchi hub do all your way points set camera poi elevations speed etc name then hole 1 2 3 and so on goto the golf course, sit down at the club house load hole 1 on litchi press play, away it goes, repeat process,  could have even set it to fly like a golf ball does in its trajectory where it'll land etc :-) nice video all the same enjoyed it
2016-11-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-11-20 00:21
I would have used the litchi app, would have eliminated the sudden jerking, would have been simple u ...

LOL, "could have even set it to fly like a golf ball does..."

In my case, I'd have to fly the drone into A LOT of trees and water then!  I suck hahaha

*Also, what about TAPFLY?  (trying to stay within the DJI GO app)
2016-11-20
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-20 17:01
LOL, "could have even set it to fly like a golf ball does..."

In my case, I'd have to fly the dron ...

Dji app isn't the best atm it's constantly being broken, litchi once you have got used to it you won't go back, try it you won't regret it
2016-11-20
Use props
InforGuy
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for all the great feedback folks.  I purchased the Litchi app and will give it a go this week.  I know a few folks that live on a golf course so my plan is to practice a few times with the app and like Bond, also to try and get good at doing it manually as well.
2016-11-20
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

InforGuy Posted at 2016-11-20 17:42
Thanks for all the great feedback folks.  I purchased the Litchi app and will give it a go this week ...

Post your results, I could have used waypoints, preferred to fly manually. How many batteries do you have? I went through three full packs quickly. The shoot took three days, have fun buddy. As for litchi...worried about using an app DJI doesn't support. JMHO
2016-11-20
Use props
InforGuy
lvl.2
United States

Hey Bond, once I am able to do a full course I will definitely post and see if there is any feedback.  There are a few courses around me where I know someone that lives on the course so I can practice on a hole or two f or now.  Only 2 batteries right now but I plan to pick up 2 more in the near future.
2016-11-21
Use props
fanscd5154ac
New
Flight distance : 376135 ft
United States

Nice job on the video. I have AutoPilot but thinking of getting litchi to try. Can't wait to see how yours comes out too guys
2016-11-21
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
United Kingdom

InforGuy Posted at 2016-11-21 21:32
Hey Bond, once I am able to do a full course I will definitely post and see if there is any feedback ...

also remember when you sign up to litchi you can use this on your pc https://flylitchi.com/hub to make your way points etc then save them, then on the golf course just load the mission, remember that each hold will be 1 mission
2016-11-22
Use props
InforGuy
lvl.2
United States

Already been scouring their site and have watched many tutorials online.  Can't wait to give it a try!
2016-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules