Gimble failing mounted to light aircraft
640 3 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EAL
New

Thailand

I have recently purchased my Osmo+ for use externally mounted on my light aircraft.

The camera works fine in flight unless I pan more than 10 degrees either side of the default horizontal position. If I pan more than 10 degrees, the gimbal loses rigidity and just flops around.

The app (Ipad) then displays a message at the top of the screen saying “click to recalibrate the gimbal.”

If I click the option to recalibrate, the gimbal erects, for a couple of seconds, then flops again.

Attempting to send the unit to sleep then awaken it again works once, and the gimbal will erect briefly, then flop. After that sending the unit to sleep no longer works.

During this period the camera continues to work transmitting the image and recording. Once on the ground the only thing that resets the camera is turning it off then on again, and it appears to work correctly, but this is not an option in flight.

I have tried this at different speeds from 40 KM to 80 KMH in case air flow was an issue, but the camera only has this problem if I try to pan, not if I just keep it centered at all speeds.

I have just upgraded to firmware 1.3.0.50 and it made no difference. I had assumed that given this unit is meant to work mounted on the exterior of cars it should also work mounted externally to a light slow moving aircraft?

I have also tried auto calibrating the unit on the ground which completes successfully each time.

Is there any type of log that can determine why the unit is behaving this way? Is my unit faulty?

Any help much appreciated.
Osmo HSEAL1Sm.jpg Osmo HSEAL2Sm.jpg
Video of failure point

2016-11-20
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

At a guess I would say there are too many small corrections being made by the gimbal and the system is turning it off to prevent motor burnout. The is a sport and body worn camera mode option that may help with it not trying to correct the position so much.
2016-11-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Does it work fine when you use it on foot?  The current probably is too strong for its gimbal
2016-11-21
Use props
EAL
New

Thailand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-21 15:33
Does it work fine when you use it on foot?  The current probably is too strong for its gimbal

Yes it does work fine on foot. It also works fine if I do not pan more than a few degrees.
My understanding is that these devices should be able to operate mounted externally on a motorbike or car, which would have similar wind resistance.

I tried it at less that 40 KMH which is slower than a motorbike or car, and it still has the issue, but only if I pan more than 20 degrees.
2016-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules