Disapointing distance even with firmware upgrade.
1032 8 2016-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans230cd4c3
New

Australia

Hi,

Wondering if anybody else is experiencing distance issues, the best I can get is 200-250 meters from me?

I have had the standard for about a month and with the first firmware it was even worse, 30m in height and less than 100m, not at least I can get 100m high, but still distance from me is poor, not even close to the 1km advertised.

I will accept that I am in area where there may be interference, residential, but still 200-250 is very poor.

I am fully updated and using iOS 10, any help with this would be appreciated.

2016-11-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Assuming you have a P3 Standard, you will not get the 1 km range in a residential area ever. It is an optimistic specification based on having ideal conditions, and certainly not in a residential area. The system uses the 2.4 Ghz band that is has to share with every WiFi system, radio controlled toy, garage door opener, cordless phone yada yada... There are literally hundreds of things using that band and all of them interfering with control over your aircraft. If you want good range, then you need to get away from urban areas.
2016-11-21
Use props
fans230cd4c3
New

Australia

is it worth buying the wifi extenders they advertise on Ebay?
2016-11-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans230cd4c3 Posted at 2016-11-22 16:11
is it worth buying the wifi extenders they advertise on Ebay?

Meh, my view is that they are not worth the bother, as you can only fit them to one end of the radio chain. But others will disagree. A lot of the ones advertised on eBay are rubbish. See this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-68751-1-1.html
2016-11-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

What flight environment are you flying in ?
As Geebax stated, if you are in a residential area or another location with lots of 2.4 interference then your range will be greatly reduced.
You are on 1.7.9 correct? That firmware improved the video downlink in an area with a lot of interference.
If you are on 1.7.9, please go to an area with no interference at all. if you cannot get anywhere near the advertised range then please contact support and see about sending in your aircraft for evaluation.
2016-11-21
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

Italy

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1096728
this work fine and is very cheap you can buy it on ebay too
2016-11-22
Use props
jocass
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61588 ft
Portugal

Hello, my drone was going to repair on 7.11.2016, ( CAS-299955-N1Y5Y6 ), however the indicated problems persist. It does not show the firmware version, it loses the signal with the remote control /poor range and does not automatically record the take-off point. The version of DJI GO APP is the last 3.1.0 and I already tested with 2 smartphones, the result is the same, it loses signal and does not show the firmware version. I am very disappointed with your assistance, I have paid € 819 for a drone that I did not risk using.
I want my problem solved. This can not happen, I sent a drone for repair, I was 3 weeks without the drone and come with the same problems, in addition to the original box I was sent comes very dirty .
Now, the drone goes again to repair
Very bad european service !!!
2016-11-22
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I made a DIY windsurfer from aluminum foil and cardboard. Got 984 ft in altitude without signal loss..would have gone higher but chickened out. I bought a copper range extender from Amazon. Going to test it out
Screenshot_2016-11-14-23-04-54.png
2016-11-22
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I flew my P3S in a remote area recently.   I flew out to 1600ft distance and 400ft height with no problems.

In town,  I get much less, especially the video signal.   Around housing area, I can lose video within 150ft due to the buildings, trees, interference, etc.

Sid
2016-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules