Soon to be Phantom 4 pilot needs advice Re: XIAOMI REDMI Note 3
736 9 2016-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans33d9edaa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 728917 ft
United Kingdom

I'm an RC enthusiast of 3 years now, but this will be my first DJI product, the arrival of my Phantom 4 is imminent. Meanwhile,  I have been researching the requirements for the phone/tablet device and a chance arose to purchase a XIAOMI REDMI Note 3 32GB 4G Phablet, as it seems there are reports of it running the DJIGO app, but nothing concrete. I'm hoping that somebody here will have this device and confirm or deny whether the phone is suitable?
Thanks.
2016-11-23
Use props
RoganJosh
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Well, I didn't get the Xiaomi RedMI Note 3 - although, it's quite possible that the device will work.
The P4 arrived safely and I was able to connect my iPhone 5C using the DJI Go App - isn't that weird? I have also tested out a Motorola G android phone - it worked too. Neither of these devices are listed as compatible.
I hope somebody out there with an iPhone 5c (or indeed a Motorola G) sees this and realises they don't have to upgrade to fly the P4.
2016-11-28
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

RoganJosh Posted at 2016-11-28 08:04
Well, I didn't get the Xiaomi RedMI Note 3 - although, it's quite possible that the device will work ...

I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 that is not on the list. That works very well too.
2016-11-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The approved devices that DJI lists on their website aren't the only devices to use/purchase, but are ones that are known to normally work quite well.

If you have a different unit, and it allows you to download the Go App, by all means utilize that.

It's just a general rule that the approved devices shouldn't give you any problems.

Enjoy your drone. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-28
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

iPad Air2 cellular 9.7in great
2016-11-28
Use props
RoganJosh
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I opted for an iPad 2 Mini - looking forward to testing it out.
2016-11-30
Use props
RoganJosh
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-28 19:15
The approved devices that DJI lists on their website aren't the only devices to use/purchase, but ar ...

I absolutely understand this and appreciate that offering software compatibility with a huge range of phones and tablets would hinder the development process.  Perhaps a community thread with working devices (not on the approved list) would give some extra help for those who may be inclined to panic-buy a device from the approved list.
2016-11-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RoganJosh Posted at 2016-11-30 12:10
I absolutely understand this and appreciate that offering software compatibility with a huge range ...

It's not a panic, but thoughtful purchase, desiring to be on the cutting edge.
I would rather buy a device I know will work, rather than being hopeful, just to have my best wishes dashed.

I read many threads here, where some have been sadly let down, attempting to use an inferior mobile device, but you know it doesn't have to be this way. Admittedly, many of the Apple devices are quite expensive, so I can understand where options are a benefit to many. Buy what you can afford, but be sure it's adequate before you are dissapointed.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-30
Use props
RoganJosh
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-30 19:37
It's not a panic, but thoughtful purchase, desiring to be on the cutting edge.
I would rather buy  ...

Wiser words are rarely spoken.
2016-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RoganJosh Posted at 2016-12-4 10:37
Wiser words are rarely spoken.

There are numerous threads where people are elated by discovering their device works, even though not on the approved list. It's only a general guideline. No one could buy, test and recommend every device that works, but they tested and approved quite a few, to please nearly every body. In all brackets and walks of life.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules