Lost my Mavic
9431 36 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Richard Babac
New

Northern Mariana Islands

I need help! What is DJI policy on this kind of incident I lost my mavic yesterday, it self landed on the water with 750ft from the point of take off while Im trying to land it My flight log indicate that I only flew 18 mins. with 4.6 kilometer (approx 15000 ft.) with a full charge battery. I was convinced to get my mavic because dji is saying its flight time can reach to 27mins...So where is the 27 mins now?

Please email me...richard.babac@gmail.com

Any reply will highly appreciated

thanks
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

You could have forced it to maintain altitude by applying throttle while flying her the 750' back to shore.  I can't speak for DJI but the 27 minute flight time is a maximum  under optimal conditions.   It's up to you as a pilot to decide when it's time to return.
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

They are going to be more people here and many post that I am seeing about fly away but people are not thinking about thermal wind gust and thermal jet streams non of the pilots flight checks beside flight check your aircraft you have to look at the meteorology conditions in where you putting that craft in the air and i see many of you putting your craft in the beaches far deep off the shores and not knowing about lots of signal because of the meteorology conditions changes inside the craft.. that the barometer and many instrumentation it has that could affect your flying one of them is thermal wind gust that are invisible wind tornados that will take your aircraft as high as 5000 meters with out of your control most of these wind gust are use for gliders to gain altitude.... As we see more people getting their mavic this phenomenon is going to be a point most common and posted about fly away.....
do not be this guy especially on a windy day where there could be any type of thermal wind condition thus making your craft uesless... Since drones are no equipe to detect meteorology conditions in the air like an aircraft is equipe with these kind of senstive instrumentations.

2016-11-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Really sorry to hear about your lost, 27 minutes is the Max Flight Time without wind at a consistent 15.5 mph. You could check that on DJI website.
While the actual flight time depends on the environment around and the way you fly it.
It's recommended to fly it at a suitable environment, double check the settings for low battery warning and RTH before taking off and keep an eye on the APP screen during flight so that you could control it properly especial under some special situation.Please sync your flight records through APP and we'll help you look into that. Please provide us the APP account, thanks.
2016-11-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

This is 100% pilot error. You will have to buy a new one, Sorry. Never push it towards the limit above water if you don't want to loose it.
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-27 17:36
Really sorry to hear about your lost, 27 minutes is the Max Flight Time without wind at a consistent ...

Dji Natalia most of these common fly away and more to come because these are people who have no idea of flight meteorology, they put their craft to fly very far and in weather conditions that a drone does not have these kind of instrumentation like Thermal wind gust and many other phenomena that is up in the sky invisible to the human eye...... Maybe in the near future you could make a drone with these kind of expensive computerized instrumentation in the craft but as of now we are going to see a huge wave of people putting these craft to the limit I don't understand why people will fly their craft beyond visual sight and in meteorology conditions that only planes have so they won't bump into turbulences and atmospheric conditions that we could lose our craft I got mine a week ago and do not have any plans on flying it beyond my visual sight because its a risk for sure of losing it.. Radio control craft if caught on thermal wind gust are more likely to lose radio control because of the change of atmospheric temperature which affects radio waves.
2016-11-27
Use props
sanuk
lvl.4
Australia

The '27 minutes' flight duration was probably achieved in controlled lab conditions. I don't think it was meant to be an iron-clad promise of flight duration under all conditions.

Anyway, I think flying 4.6 km over tropical seas in a tiny consumer drone is risky business. You should always plan for the worst, and never assume everything will go OK. If anything can go wrong out there, it will - battery life, head winds, rain, drone craziness etc.
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

I just think that many people have no idea about flight weather conditions and just because your marketing team say that it could fly 7 kilometers does not mean hey go fly your drone 7 kilometers... What its trying to say that with that kind of radio control power you won't have no problem with losing connection.
2016-11-27
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

There's nothing like getting your views up on your video vlog.
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-27 04:33
They are going to be more people here and many post that I am seeing about fly away but people are n ...

OMG speaking of adverse air currents...

Dude gliders & parasails have WINGS.  They are designed to produce lift, glide, & take advantage of thermal up drafts.  They have large wings or surfaces designed to produce lift.  A Mavic has no wings.  If you kill the motors it doesnt glide it falls like a tumbling rock.  If you fly your Mavic into a tornado or intense storm it can certainly cause an issue but in normal flying & conditions this isn't going to affect a quad to any appreciable extent.  Between quads, helis,  & fixed-income RC I have logged THOUSANDS of flights & I have NEVER had one fly off because of a thermal updraft!
2016-11-27
Use props
Rocco12475
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-27 17:33
They are going to be more people here and many post that I am seeing about fly away but people are n ...

*Please be more courteous to other forum users*  You are here all day posting the same crap in every thread.  Leave the technical analyzes to DJI please and stop with your stupid theory.

If the setting is called failsafe which is supposed to return to home upon a disconnection between remote and mavic that means it failed to work and wind has nothing to do with it!   That is a dumb reason for failsafe not to work because of wind... What is the point of failsafe if when it fails it doesn't do what it's designed to do which is return to it's home!  2-3 foot wind guest shouldn't effect failsafe from doing it's job!

Please stop spreading false information and let DJI do it's job and go back to flipping burgers at your job and stop trying to be a tech.

If I want to know about the law I will ask a lawyer, If I want to know about drones I will ask DJI not some dummy posting his wacky theories.   
2016-11-27
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

I'm confused by this thread. Did the OP ignore all the battery warnings?
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-27 21:42
OMG Please go outside and get a life!  You are here all day posting the same crap in every thread. ...

Oh man here we go, hey listen you go fly your stupid mavic from beyond site and over a mass of water ok. As of now I have my mavic have flown it up to 2 kilometers away, no problem till this day... oh wait yes one I had over a mountain peak which I was at that was 2000 meters above sea level and since the mavic at its starting point will fly if your in a mountain at 2000 meter high it will give you an extra 400 meters so I did so and guess what superman it drifted and had all sorts of problem something I never encounter, so in total height from take off 2000 plus meter and 300 meters and no wind it was a calm day and all of sudden the drone was struggling to with something I had no idea what it was and later that day I went to check for flight weather around that area and it definitely posted that there would be thermal winds up to 40 kilometers per hour which is why the drone was having trouble and had some jitter image like it was going to lose connection and I manage to gain control when I hit return home and still by doing that it struggle to get back.... Anyway I had a person who told me what could of happen who is a pilot and told me that could of been mostly influence or some hight wind current.
2016-11-27
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

Yep, this is a pilot error.
2016-11-27
Use props
clarksbrother
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66824 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-27 08:42
OMG Please go outside and get a life!  You are here all day posting the same crap in every thread. ...

100% this, yes.

Wind/air dynamics will have an effect on overall drone performance. It will not have any appreciable effect on GPS reception (ionospheric issues notwithstanding), RF performance or IMU performance.

FWIW - I've got my pilot's license (regular aircraft, not just drone) and in all my experience flying on 3 continents, the geography/weather that needs to exist to create conditions that could simply blow away your drone are very far and very few between. Frankly, if someone is flying it that far out of visual range and in marginal weather conditions, I have little sympathy. That said, it sounds like in about 90% of the cases, that's not happening.
2016-11-27
Use props
dquangt
lvl.1
Saudi Arabia

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-27 16:42
*Please be more courteous to other forum users*  You are here all day posting the same crap in ever ...

seems like it has everything to do with the wind condition. if he was fighting wind conditions during the flight then that could be why the battery drained at around 18 minutes, much quicker than he anticipated. if the drone was running out of battery and it's fail safe is to come back, BUT it's still fighting with the same wind conditions that drained it's battery so fast then maybe it COULDN'T make it back to point of origin which is why it tried to just land. in this case it happened to be over water.

that's the way i interpret the OP.
2016-11-27
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Never, EVER incorrectly use the word "loose" in place of "lose".

Thanks!
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-27 10:39
Oh man here we go, hey listen you go fly your stupid mavic from beyond site and over a mass of wat ...

First you were flying over a mountain Ridge where there is natural uplift as air is forced up & over the terrain.

But more importantly, aren't you the guy always spouting off about "obeying the rules" & "only flying within VLOS?"  So you've been flying 2 kilometers out where you obviously have no VLOS?  Why you horrid little rulebreaker with your blatant disregard for the law ruining the hobby for everyone!  Shame on you Watuse!  One night the big boot of the law will kick your mom's basement door down & you'll be hauled away where you belong.  Shame on you!!!

2016-11-27
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Shill Slayer Posted at 2016-11-27 17:28
First you were flying over a mountain Ridge where there is natural uplift as air is forced up & ov ...

He gets the prize for the contradiction of the month. And I think it's funny that it's in the same thread.Are you my farther ?.
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-27 12:35
He gets the prize for the contradiction of the month. Are you my father  ...

Possibly but I'm not fessing up unless you are over 18!  

2016-11-27
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Shill Slayer Posted at 2016-11-27 18:06
Possibly but I'm not fessing up unless you are over 18!

Well over lol.
2016-11-27
Use props
P3T3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 701211 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lose=Lost, Loose=customers anus who are still awaiting their Mavic shipment
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Shill Slayer Posted at 2016-11-28 01:28
First you were flying over a mountain Ridge where there is natural uplift as air is forced up & ov ...

Yes darthtroll I was flying between two peaks and there were no wind gust popping up your behind so if you read carefully darth troll I said there were no winds but once I put the bird up your troll air I found that at 300 meters it was having a hard time flying back to me darth troll so if you trolling here with no trolling scientific proof of what was the cause when there were no wind draft and it was it was mild temp, and the probably cause could of been a Jet troll flying in your behind, or your trolling here, like most people here trolling with no scientific proof that could be cause I prefer that your darth troll leave the hell out of here trolling alert that goes for all of the other trolls here.
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-27 13:54
Yes darthtroll I was flying between two peaks and there were no wind gust popping up your behind s ...

Watuse you are a misguided & angry boy with an unsavory fetish for male hineys  You might want to see a doctor about that before it's too late.
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Shill Slayer Posted at 2016-11-28 03:09
Watuse you are a misguided & angry boy with an unsavory fetish for male hineys  You might want to  ...

No not really darth troll I guess your the one infatuated with me...... where are you soldier trolls are they still around here trolling because you don't have your Mavic or your the ones that just love to troll around DJI because you wish you could afford an inspire 2 but your angry because you cannot afford not even one sorry for that darth troll you definitely need help in moving on and troll other forums its part of your infatuation Troller Troller alerting
2016-11-27
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Hopefully your lost Mavic flew back to DJI where they boxed it up and sent it to a better pilot haha
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-27 14:17
No not really darth troll I guess your the one infatuated with me...... where are you soldier trol ...

I can afford an Inspire 2 I just don't want one.  Too big & too much money for one bird.  You'll have to save your allowance for a long time to buy an Inspire 2!

2016-11-27
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

watuse Posted at 2016-11-28 03:17
No not really darth troll I guess your the one infatuated with me...... where are you soldier trol ...

I am sure you would make a great contribution to the community (providing some MET theory). If you only would start chopping your text down into shorter sentences. Using period or comma definitely will help you to achieve this. Many of us are non-native speakers so it does not have to be perfect, we are the forgiving kind.

And please stop (Ab)using "Darth". I am a Darth myself and am not amused.
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

Shill Slayer Posted at 2016-11-28 04:14
I can afford an Inspire 2 I just don't want one.  Too big & too much money for one bird.  You'll h ...

to late for that, troll I already place a  pre order for one.
2016-11-27
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-27 12:39

Would love to see the two of you FPV drone race eachother for a Mavic the loser has to pay for haha
2016-11-27
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

watuse Posted at 2016-11-28 04:39

Thank you.
Since the Inspire 2 should be able to carry more payload... maybe you could equip it with some external sensors? Accelerometer, barometer, pitot tube etc. Then combine the collected data with some actual and prog charts to elaborate on your theories and share it on the forum?
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-11-28 04:39

Mom is buying you a $6000 quad, eh?
2016-11-27
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Posted at 2016-11-27 10:54
Watuse, thanks so much for the details and videos you provided, that's really appreciated.
I also  ...

i admire your straight poker face speaking to that lunatic.

Well done :-)

Nils

2016-11-27
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

United States

PILOT ERROR..........not flying within regulations. Always fly with in line of site and never over 400 Feet.  
2016-11-27
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

United States

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-28 06:12
PILOT ERROR..........not flying within regulations. Always fly with in line of site and never over 4 ...

I take it you're one of those self-righteous, hyper-opinionated, Rule NAZIs inexorably compelled to compensate for your own inadequacies by perusing the topics & dispensing scathing rule reminders?
2016-11-27
Use props
XOIb65MwVMfd
lvl.1
Canada

I hate to say it but with all the Mavic Fly Away's... for whatever reasons they are occurring... I'm going to pay extra attention to objects around paths and washing ashore, might land me a few extra drones that didn't quite land ideally on their own.

On a side note, could it be possible to begin a Mavic Search-and-Rescue site where users can post whatever data they have, last known coordinates, and situation along with an award and other users can set their drones on the hunt for the missing ones? I know whenever anyone in my neighbourhood loses an animal or something is removed from their property like a bike that a few of us in the area head to the sky with great success finding things.
2016-11-27
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Spain

nils.heidorn Posted at 2016-11-28 05:10
i admire your straight poker face speaking to that lunatic.

Well done :-)

I got a poker face, guess what but this is what you need to know and you think fly away are not caused by weather changes at a different altitude in your surrounding.
2016-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules