Every Phatom I have had has a Tilted Horizon
2507 11 2016-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Perth Drone
lvl.2
Australia

Hi All

Big fan on the Phantom 4 but unfortunately I currently don’t have one. I have had to return the two Phantom 4s I have had, due to issues with the horizon been significantly tilted.

My first Phantom 4 had about a 30 degree list to the gimbal with the left lower.

I tried IMU Calibration, firmware upgrade, factory reset, and gimbal calibration, nothing helped. Occasionally the gimbal would be somewhat level on the ground but return to its usual tilt when airborne.

My second Phantom 4 was better however at times the horizon would tilt with the left side lower again, partially in a cross/tailwind. To make matters worse the second Phantom’s gimbal was angled about 5 degrees off center and resulted in more of the left front prop being visible in the video footage. Once again no calibrations, resets or firmware upgrades made any difference.

I am very keen to get another Phantom 4 but do all the Phantom 4s exhibit this tilted horizon? Several YouTube videos I have watched seem to show the same titled horizon. Using the C1 and C2 manual gimbal tilt override does not seem to be a viable workaround on a $2000+ AUD drone. When I tried this on my Phantoms I had to keep adjusting every few minutes as the gimbal would start to tilt the other way etc.

I have a friend who has a Phantom 3 Professional and his horizon is spot on all the time, even in hard turns in sports mode.

Keen to hear other people’s opinion, please let me know what you think, please see my attached screenshots.

Thanks!

First P4

First P4

First P4

First P4

Second P4

Second P4

Second P4

Second P4
2016-11-29
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yea, that's right.  Every product I have ever had from DJI has tilted horizons.  Including earlier zenmuse gimbals.  
2016-11-29
Use props
Heniek W
lvl.2

Canada

I'm in the same situation, I have Phantom 3 pro with exactly same behavior as yours, I had 2 Phantom 4 with also problematic horizon level , better than P3 but still unacceptable...
returned both Phantom 4's , currently awaiting Phantom 4 Pro , there is a P4P video on line I have seen with a tilted horizon as well ....
Besides most of the videos you see on youtube have the same problem, I believe that is a DJI standard  and they are unable to correct it...
Note P3P gimbal was a very poor design , notice the P4 has a totally different gimbal and the P4P the same gimbal design but a bit beefier.
I'm hoping P4P comes with a stronger gimbal motors that can last and correct the out of level problems.
2016-11-29
Use props
fansc2847c7b
lvl.1

United States

The P4Pro  how is exactly the same gimbal and gimbal motors as the regular P4.  All the phantoms will have tilted horizon problems  until DJI acknowledges that they have a redesigned gimbal that fixes this problem. In fact, DJI doesn't even acknowledge they have a tilted horizon problem.
2016-11-29
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Earth rotates on its axis and so does the DJI drones?  But seriously.  Yeah, I get that same issue.
2016-11-29
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

They pretty well all tilt....   I think those who don't see it live in mountainous or hilly areas where there are no flat prairie or ocean horizons to make it more apparent.  

Mine tilted when I got it...   I did IMU and gimbal calibrations almost daily with no luck.   One day I put the craft in the refrigerator for about 1/2 an hour before I did the calibrations.  After that, the horizon was straight about 80% of the time and slightly tilted (where you had to look to spot it) about 15% of the time.  And, 5% of the time it was very noticeable.

It was great for several months until I made the mistake of doing another IMU and Gimbal calibration.  This time the tilt returned and I haven't been able to get it back to the way it was.

2016-11-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I can't comment with any experience or authority, on the Phantom 4 series.
Other than saying yes,  a cold IMU calibration, followed by the gimbal calibration has helped fix crooked horizon on a lot of Phantom 3 drones.
I never had a crooked horizon, or an uncooperative gimbal, so it's difficult to know for sure what exactly causes that glitch or malfunction with others.

Hopefully if can be figured out and perhaps corrected through a firmware update.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-29
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've owned or used: Zenmuse Z15 for NEX-7, Zenmuse Z15 for GH4, Zenmuse H3-2D, Zenmuse H3-3D, Zenmuse X3, Zenmuse X5, Phantom 4, Ronin-M.

Horizon issues on every single one.

DJI will tell you to calibrate. They'll ask you to send it in. Neither are the solution. These are just the nature of the DJI gimbal platform and there is no known solution. This has been a long standing, well known problem with the Zenmuse platform.

If you absolutely must have a level horizon and arnen't will to deal with the usual workarounds (horizon correction in DJI Go, using a second controller to manually level the horizon, etc) you need to go to another vendor, full stop.

2016-11-29
Use props
Paulemus
New

United States

I also have that -- see my videos ar YouTube paul emus.
2016-12-10
Use props
Perth Drone
lvl.2
Australia

I really want to get the Phantom 4 Pro however from looking on YouTube, it looks like it has exactly the same issues as my first two.

Here are two YouTube videos showing the same tilted/drifting horizon:

Can anyone from DJI confirm if these issues are being worked on?

It would be great to have $1500+ USD drone that has a level gimbal to be able to take video shots with.

Thanks
2016-12-12
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70289 ft
United States

It would be nice to hear from DJI regarding this issue. It's really bad on occasion.
2016-12-12
Use props
camchute
lvl.2
Flight distance : 985623 ft
United States

This is just a shot in the dark but...if it helps...

Just curious if setting "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" would help at all?

DJI Go App > Settings > Gimbal Settings > Advanced Settings > "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow"  [OFF]

Reason is because pan follow allows the gimbal to "peak/look" left or right before the aircraft catches up to stick input.  If the gimbal is stuck in the follow position, disabling the feature may unlock it.  I would disable this feature before recalibrating gimbal, IMU, etc.
2016-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules