Mavic - How can I use the Cam without signal on my phone
11199 14 2016-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osxLPrgt2asp
lvl.1
Germany

Dear Friends,

I'm lost in millions of videos on you tube and tutorials. Can someone explain or refer to a video that shows how I can for example be in the mountains side far up no signal for my mobile phone but still make videos with the mavic... especially can I also use the follow me Option without a phone signal?

Thanks a lot

Cheers
me
2016-12-1
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You don't need cellular signal at all, unless you want to stream.
2016-12-1
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I think the OP wanted to know how to shoot video without using the phone screen to see what is being shot.  If I am correct, I'll say this:

First, shooting "blind" appears to be possible with just the controller, but you will have to maintain visual and fly it manually.  Second, you won't have any way of knowing where your camera is pointed for sure, so you will only be able to reliably get long/wide shots and hope to get what you want in the picture.  Finally, the "tracking" modes require you to select something on the phone screen, so I doubt you could get them to work without at least starting your shoot with the phone installed.
2016-12-1
Use props
chanley380
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75659 ft
United States

From what I understand, the connection between the mavic and the remote is not dependent on a cell phone signal. (you wouldn't have live maps, but technically you could cache them before you left).
If you had enough proper GPS connections, but no cell service on your phone, you would still be able to fly the mavic and see the camera feed on your phone that is connected to your controller.  

There is another answer here, (but I would certainly try to verify this with DJI-Ken or another DJI person who is on the forum.)

http://www.apple.com/shop/questi ... dji-mavic-pro-drone
Answer
1. No, the controller uses a special radio to achieve that potential 4.7 mile range. Without the controller your device will only use wifi will will give a much, much shorter range.

2. No data connection is required to fly the craft. a data connection will not affect the range of the Mavic Pro.
2016-12-1
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-12-1 13:00
I think the OP wanted to know how to shoot video without using the phone screen to see what is being ...

I use my IPad Mini to fly and view the camera on-screen.  The IPad only has a WiFi connection capability (i.e. no cell phone signal needed).
2016-12-1
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

Yah, the OP hasn't come back to clarify, but it is quite difficult to shoot video when you can't see what you are shooting.  Of course, you don't need cell signal to see what the Mavic is seeing, but you need signal from the Mavic to be able to see what you are shooting.  Whether you use wifi for short range, or connect the controller and stretch the 4.1 mile range, seeing makes all the difference.

Can't wait for the goggles!
2016-12-1
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-12-1 14:55
Yah, the OP hasn't come back to clarify, but it is quite difficult to shoot video when you can't see ...

Maybe we're trying to say the same thing but I'm a bit confused.  I took it that the OP would have the controller AND his phone, but was thinking that he would not be able to see the video without a cell signal in the mountains.  As long as he has a good connection between the Mavic and the controller (radio signal), he should see the video on his phone screen.  The phone is basically being used as a monitor.

My IPad doesn't use either the WiFi or a cell signal, but also acts as a monitor.  Or am I missing the point here?
2016-12-1
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-1 17:03
Maybe we're trying to say the same thing but I'm a bit confused.  I took it that the OP would have ...

Yes, same thing.
2016-12-1
Use props
Andrej&Annie
lvl.1
Germany

sorry for late reply, I've posted another one just now trying to explain more detail... it has nothing to do with losing the signal on my phone - please can you check my new posting - do you guys fly a magic pro as well?

thanks for all answers
2017-1-29
Use props
Andrej&Annie
lvl.1
Germany

Nees Posted at 2016-12-1 11:52
You don't need cellular signal at all, unless you want to stream.

thanks for your reply - so I can have the phone in flight mode but still fly in FPV ???
2017-2-2
Use props
Egika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Japan

Sure. Why not?
2017-2-2
Use props
UtopianCrew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5213 ft
United States

I have cellular turned off for DJI Go 4 (No cellular connection) works perfectly fine
2017-2-2
Use props
DT393
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

The phone gets the information through the cable connection to the receiver. So your bars of service don't mean anything.
2017-2-2
Use props
djiuser_k6FYVwTnEXgv
New

United States

My mavic Pro 2 works great at home and around Wi-Fi and good cell coverage. When I go into the mountains and don't have cell coverage it doesn't work at all. Can anyone help me out with that. Very similar to what this guy has asked himself video would be awesome. Very new to this any help would be had. Been through a thousand videos
2018-11-16
Use props
fans6a089123
lvl.2
United States

Question, Can you still record video without WiFi with the DJI Mavic ???
2019-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules