3229 35 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seanjkil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4892 ft

United States

So here's the story,
I bought a returned Mavic Pro Fly-More combo from Micro Center last Saturday, 11/26/2016 .   When I got home and opened up the box the Mavic had two propellers attached to it and inside the packing there were 2 loose propellers.  Both the the loose propellers and attached propellers were damaged.  I examined the Mavic carefully and it showed no further evidence of any physical trauma.  The next morning I charged everything up and attached the extra set of propellers that came with the Fly-More bundle and took it on it's test flight.  Thankfully the Mavic performed well.  I went inside to check the video and the SD card that comes with the Mavic and it still had the previous owner's videos on it.  After checking my video, which I believe looks fine, I checked the other videos.  One of the video's shows the Mavic being crashed into a tree, I suspect this is what damaged the propellers.  

I took the damaged propellers to Micro Center today 12/2/2016, expecting they would replace them.  At the service return desk I explained the situation, she called a manager on the phone and the manager said grab some propellers off the shelf and do the exchange.  After checking the shelves and computer, we found they had none.  I then pulled up Apples website which has them in stock and asked if they could refund me the amount Apple charges for 4 propellers (around $20.00) so I could go buy them from Apple.  She called the manager again and he came over. I explained the story and he told me no, they couldn't do that and I would have to contact DJI about this issue.  At this point I'm rather perturbed that they wouldn't just refund me the cost of replacement propellers.  I ask the manager why are they selling damaged products without inspecting them first.  The manager tells me to hold on and goes to check on something and comes back saying that it was actually him who examined the Mavic I purchased and that they video record such examinations .  I told him I highly doubt he examined it since only 2 of 4 damaged propellers were attached when I opened it and the fact that Micro Center never bothered to wipe the SD card and that I have video of the previous owner crashing it.  He asked to see the video, I said sure and I'd like to see the video of you examining the Mavic I was sold.  He leaves and brings back the General manager.  I explain the story, including that I have video of the previous owner crashing the Mavic.  He told me they wouldn't refund any money nor allow me to return the drone and to contact DJI. I said we can examine the video files and extract the Exif data to show the date of when the crashed occurred.  He told me to bring in the video so they can see it. I told him I'd be back tomorrow.   

Folks, this was about trying to get Micro Center to replace $20 parts that were damaged before I bought it.   I now have to drive back to the store tomorrow and see what they say about the videos.  More concerning, were the the General Manager's comments, that is if the Drone damage was more extensive than just the propellers, I wouldn't be able to make a return.  This tells me Micro Center is willing to sell damage products and a customer has the no recourse.    Thankfully what appears to be damaged is just a set of propellers and I have the video and if it comes to it, the 'black box' internal files that DJI can read that would show the date that the crash occurred.  What was suppose to be an exchange for $20 in parts has become quiet the hassle but it also proves either Micro Center has no issue of re-selling products that have been damaged without telling the customer, or they don't examine product returns closely before re-selling them.  Either way, the customer loses.

Can anyone from DJI tell me where to send the files so they can be read?   

Additionally, the crash video does not look that bad, but would the damage to the propellers match that type of crash?  I'm somewhat concerned that another crash may have occurred that's not on video that caused the nubs on one of the propellers to shear off.   Your thoughts?

Video of crash below, it happens about 10 seconds before the video cuts off, I do not know the person in the video.

Thank you for reading.

https://youtu.be/Ww8tfbVaHhA

damaged blades

damaged blades
2016-12-2
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

Wow that sucks. Nothing New to DJI as another forum member here got a Mavic that was not new either directly from them
2016-12-2
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

Nerds=Drones Posted at 2016-12-2 21:27
Wow that sucks. Nothing New to DJI as another forum member here got a Mavic that was not new either  ...

Well I knew mine was a returned, but I didn't expect damage to the drone or any of it's parts.  There wasn't any label on the box that said "damage" or "missing parts".
2016-12-2
Use props
Boardtalk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 209642 ft
Ireland

When you purchased the Mavic did you know it was used/returned or did you think it was brand new - either way its bad business from that company.
2016-12-2
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

Boardtalk Posted at 2016-12-2 21:39
When you purchased the Mavic did you know it was used/returned or did you think it was brand new - e ...

I knew it was used and it should have been inspected before leaving the store with it, regrettable it was not.  I'm thankful for the video and DJI 'black box' though.
2016-12-2
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Honestly I would not buy a used returned Mavic at this point, as there is no doubt that they all have been crashed.

But I cannot believe the way Microcenter has treated you during this process, it would only $20 in parts to make you a happy customer
2016-12-2
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

As mentioned, with this type of product, I would never buy it "used" / "returned" from anyone other than DJI. I would 100% make them take it back, go some place else and get it new. Even if things look "fine" it was crashed and you dont know what the extent of damage can be, not to mention it may not surface for some time to come. Down the road you may have gimbal issues and now you are screwed and have to send it in to DJI for repair. Again, in your best interest to return and get a new one from some place else.
2016-12-2
Use props
Impossible J
lvl.2
United States

Here's the thing, though... Open box returned merchandise is ALWAYS an "as-is" purchase, it's like that at every big-box store. If you dug for it, I'd imagine it's in micricenter's actual policy somewhere. No different than if you bought a returned TV or camera that had a few scuffs on it or had been dropped. The benefit is that it's at an open-minded discount. You didn't pay full price for it, did you?
2016-12-2
Use props
Impossible J
lvl.2
United States

Impossible J Posted at 2016-12-3 12:25
Here's the thing, though... Open box returned merchandise is ALWAYS an "as-is" purchase, it's like t ...

That should say "open box" not open minded. Autocorrect is an idiot and I don't proofread
2016-12-2
Use props
Steely Joe
lvl.1

United States

Impossible J Posted at 2016-12-2 22:27
That should say "open box" not open minded. Autocorrect is an idiot and I don't proofread {:4_148: ...

And yet I'm told by the Micro Center in Brentwood MO that Micro Center doesn't even carry the Mavic and it's not in their system anywhere.  WTF
2016-12-2
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Impossible J Posted at 2016-12-2 22:25
Here's the thing, though... Open box returned merchandise is ALWAYS an "as-is" purchase, it's like t ...

Sure, you pay for that discount. But with a product like the Mavic this soon after the release, it is definitely not wise to buy "open box"
2016-12-2
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

Steely Joe Posted at 2016-12-2 23:35
And yet I'm told by the Micro Center in Brentwood MO that Micro Center doesn't even carry the Mavi ...

It's actually not is their system.  DJI sent 2 of their stores, 1 in Columbus, OH and 1 in California, around 75 Mavic Pro Fly More Combos each a couple of weeks ago as a promo.  Don't know why or how Micro Center scored that.
2016-12-2
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Wow, cool detective work!  That first car has an Ohio license plate if that helps in your investigation.  I would say the damage to the props is consistent with kissing some skinny branches on that tree.
2016-12-2
Use props
Steely Joe
lvl.1

United States

seanjkil Posted at 2016-12-2 22:42
It's actually not is their system.  DJI sent 2 of their stores, 1 in Columbus, OH and 1 in Califor ...

OK, thanks for the info Sean.  That explains it.
2016-12-2
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Ummm, you absolutely can NOT sell a used item as new, inspected or not...
Edit:  Nevermind, I saw in a later post you knew it was used.
2016-12-2
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2016-12-2 20:42
It's actually not is their system.  DJI sent 2 of their stores, 1 in Columbus, OH and 1 in Califor ...

So this is a bummer that you have not received good customer service. But you did not say if you paid full price for the Mavic or you received a discount because it had already been opened up.

I would think that if you knew the Mavic was preowned and returned, then these things could have happened. If it was discounted, then the new props would most likely be on you (as-is open box). Although there is no excuse for a damaged product being resold on purpose.

Sorry for this experience and based on this story, I would not want to purchase anything from the Micro Center stores.

Rich
2016-12-2
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Micro Center used to be a DJI "service center".  I know the one in KC was, but isn't any more.  That may have had something to do with how they got some units.  My Mavic came from Micro Center (receipt provided by person I bought it from as a "new, in hand" unit from Ebay).  Mine was obviously new and unopened/unused, so I didn't have this problem.  
Good luck on getting this resolved!
Sarge
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for the experience you had, is the title of the video DJI003 what was on the SD card.
You can connect the Mavic to the Assistant2 and download the DAT files then upload them to Dropbox and post the link and I will email the link to the flight data analysis team for review.
Honestly, if the aircraft looks great without any physical damage then the descent into the tree may have been the only damage.
2016-12-2
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Mavic's come new in the box with one set of propellers on and the other off.

It's not suppose to include an SD card with the previous owners footage.
2016-12-2
Use props
Macstrax
lvl.2

United States

The location they are flying from is Westwood Dr., Circleville, Ohio. You can see the Berger health system in one of the aerial shots as well as the Cargil silos.
Removed number address for privacy
2016-12-3
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-3 00:28
Sorry for the experience you had, is the title of the video DJI003 what was on the SD card.
You can  ...

Thanks Ken, here is the link to dropbox with all the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/954a5 ... GUhhW6BNxxBs1a?dl=0
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2016-12-3 20:25
Thanks Ken, here is the link to dropbox with all the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/954a502a1m ...

Thanks,
I'll give it to the flight data analysis team Monday.
What happened when you went back to talk to them today?
2016-12-3
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-3 23:57
Thanks,
I'll give it to the flight data analysis team Monday.
What happened when you went back to  ...

They refunded me the cost of the propellers.  I asked the GM to make sure they thoroughly inspect returned drones before putting them back for sale, he seemed rather smug about the whole thing.  The last thing we need is a damaged drone falling out of the sky because proper examination doesn't take place.   

Thanks again, Ken.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2016-12-3 22:34
They refunded me the cost of the propellers.  I asked the GM to make sure they thoroughly inspect  ...

That's good they paid for the cost of the props.
Since the only damage you saw was the props, I'm sure that the video you had was the only mishap.
I'll let you know what flight data says.
2016-12-3
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-4 01:29
Since the only damage you saw was the props, I'm sure that the video you had was the only mishap.

Any word on the flight data?
2016-12-7
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-4 01:29

Ken, any word on the flight files?
2016-12-9
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.2

United States

I've been following this story and I am curious as well, as to what the data reveals.
2016-12-9
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

Sgt_Throatpunch Posted at 2016-12-9 16:18
I've been following this story and I am curious as well, as to what the data reveals.

I've been avoiding flying it this week in case there is an issue, i'm not sure what the hold up with the file data reveal is.  Ken has gone radio silence on me :-/
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2016-12-9 15:01
I've been avoiding flying it this week in case there is an issue, i'm not sure what the hold up with the file data reveal is.  Ken has gone radio silence on me :-/

I sent an email to them again.
2016-12-9
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-9 17:17
I sent an email to them again.

Any word yet?
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

There's no issue and your aircraft is good.
That was the only mishap and it was vey minor.
2016-12-13
Use props
seanjkil
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-13 16:29
There's no issue and your aircraft is good.
That was the only mishap and it was vey minor.

Did you really get feedback from the DAT file people or are you just saying that so I'll stop bothering you?  
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

seanjkil Posted at 2016-12-13 14:58
Did you really get feedback from the DAT file people or are you just saying that so I'll stop bothering you?

They said the crash was very minor from the data, and there was not another crash.
But feel free to send it in if you want if you would feel better that way.. The turn around time is only 1-2 weeks from when received in.
2016-12-13
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

lol @ guy in video and his flexing buddy. That's exactly who you expect to crash. :p
2016-12-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-14 06:00
They said the crash was very minor from the data, and there was not another crash.
But feel free to send it in if you want if you would feel better that way.. The turn around time is only 102 weeks from when received in.

I'm assuming Ken means 1-2 weeks rather than 102 weeks. ;)
2016-12-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2016-12-13 15:18
I'm assuming Ken means 1-2 weeks rather than 102 weeks. ;)

Yes, corrected it
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules