United States

Just saw this on the local news.

http://thehill.com/regulation/23 ... r-private-residents
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Now that's funny.  They cannot even stop telemarketers from calling you and they think that is going to stop anyone from flying over a house?  If I flew over someone's house at 200 feet, they would not see it or hear it.
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

DJI is not on the list and don't know what the coverage area would be.
2015-2-10
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

The problem again here is nobody owns the airspace over their house.  Even cities that already have an ordinance about flying over someones private property, will that hold up in court? Some local parks say you can't fly in their park. What if I was standing outside the park controlling the aircraft?
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

You think that's funny, look at this one: http://www.news9.com/story/28072 ... lahoma-senate-panel
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

Or this one: http://www.news9.com/story/28023 ... counter-tiny-fliers
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-2-11 07:48
The problem again here is nobody owns the airspace over their house.  Even cities that already have  ...

As I mentioned in another post the FAA controls all airspace all the way to the ground. Not just above 400 feet and around airports.
2015-2-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

bill:

Class G airspace includes all airspace below Flight Level 600, not otherwise classified as controlled. (AIM 3-3-1) There are no entry or clearance requirements for Class G airspace, even for IFR operations. Class G airspace is typically the airspace very near the ground (1200 feet or less), beneath Class E airspace.  Radio communication is not required in Class G airspace, even for IFR operations. Class G is completely uncontrolled.
reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_class_%28United_States%29
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Responsible for air space below 400 feet is actually more correct. From the FAA itself

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=76240
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Though I am sure the FAA frowns on full size aircraft buzzing populated areas at 50 feet.
2015-2-10
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

This is laughable; I can't imagine the amount of CPU and memory a drone's going to need in order to hold the coordinate systems for the.  Not to mention, as noted above that people don't own nor have the right to control the airspace above their homes.

What's next a "no google satellite images" registry?
2015-2-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes bill, but responsible for it and controlling it are not anywhere near the same thing.  what i was getting at is they dont control it but certainly if you begin endangering the public in that space they will certainly react to being a responsible party.  but actively telling you not to do anyting (versus acting upon clearly reckless behavior to the public) are certainly pretty far apart scenarios.
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

These are the FAA guidelines. You can thank the Academy of Model Aeronautics for there not being stricter rules. They worked extensively with the FAA to keep them from putting excessive restrictions on our hobby. Remember these only apply to hobbyists, if you use your drone for any commercial use including taking pictures you are in a different category

The FAA has partnered with several industry associations to promote Know Before You Fly, a campaign to educate the public about using unmanned aircraft safely and responsibly. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:
•Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
•Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
•Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
•Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
•Don't fly near people or stadiums
•Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
•Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft
2015-2-10
Use props
bthor49@msn.com This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

These are just common sense rules.

People that fly RC airplanes are very concerned with safety. Jets go over 150 MPH. While 55 pounds is unusual there are many pattern planes that get to around 30 pounds with 12 foot wing spans and a 200cc gas engine swinging a 32 inch propeller at over 6,000 RPM.

A man in Houston a few years back was killed when a student lost control of a helicopter and the blades hit the instructor in the throat.
2015-2-10
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-11 14:01
These are just common sense rules.

People that fly RC airplanes are very concerned with safety. Jet ...

Ya know...  The whole "drone" craze is really bizarre.  I've been flying home-made RC planes for about 30 years.  Far larger, mind you, than my Phantom.  I've also flown RC helicopters and other, more toy-like quadcopters ranging from the cheap ones at the malls to my V262s (I have a fleet of 3 of those 'cause they're effing fun as hell!).  Why the hell is everybody so obsessed with "drones?!"  Do they fear the semi-autonomous nature of them.  That Skynet is just around the corner or something?  And it's not because of the White House idiot either.  The fear existed for a couple years before that.  I just don't get it!
2015-2-11
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

One word Friffy, Predator. The public at large associate the word "drone" with death from above. Why do you think you will never see the word drone used by DJI? The term they use is the correct one, UAV or of cause quadcopter.
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

trailtec.dodo Posted at 2015-2-11 22:03
One word Friffy, Predator. The public at large associate the word "drone" with death from above. Why ...

Predators are the ultimate in FPV. I got to see one up close at Ellington Field in Houston a couple of years ago during an Air Force reunion. They are taken off and landed line of sight but controlled by satellites half way around the world from Houston.
2015-2-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

no, the reason is pretty simple.  MOST people couldnt even fly a traditional RC so the pop% at play was tiny.  MOST people could fly a phantom right out of the box (couple that with teh fact that it was in the top 10 xmas presents past 2 yrs).  this changes the pop% from tiny to not so tiny and increasing.  that is what causes the craze.  out of 100 phantom vids i have watched, 90 of them took off from a location that the vast majority of traditional RC craft either couldnt or wouldnt take off from.  easy of use, ubiquitous launch location and lack of new folks' respect for the responsibility factor are the things driving the craze now versus the past 30yrs of RC
2015-2-11
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

These things cant seem to stay out of the news.  I see a story almost weekly.  Not good for business.   This is just another step toward the inevitable harsh regulations that are on the way.

http://www.noflyzone.org/#/

The way I read the site is that after you submit your address it will be added to the software no fly zone.  Just like the airports the units will simply not be able to operate in those areas.   If DJI is forced to get on board with this and it gets popular it will be like flying in the movie "By Dawns Early Light" where they had to steer around the radioactive clouds.   

Since there is nothing legal about this I see a lot of people either not downloading software updates or a lot of hacking.
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-11 22:18
no, the reason is pretty simple.  MOST people couldnt even fly a traditional RC so the pop% at play  ...

I agree totally with you. Just like in the original "Flight of the Phoenix" movie we RC flyers still bristle at the term "toy airplane". We know what we are dealing and respect them.
2015-2-11
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-11 22:16
Predators are the ultimate in FPV. I got to see one up close at Ellington Field in Houston a coupl ...

Yeah.  I've started to try and steer clear of using the term "drone" in everyday life because of exactly that.  When I bought my Phantom, I brought it home, and my 9 year old asked "Daddy, you bought a DRONE?!  Are you going to shoot people with it?!"
2015-2-11
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-11 22:18
no, the reason is pretty simple.  MOST people couldnt even fly a traditional RC so the pop% at play  ...

Yup, I'll buy that. You are right, the hobby has expanded 1000 fold and these things are being flown in places no R/C craft has ever gone before. Can you imagine firing up a gas 'copter and flyng from a suburban back yard? No dedicated hobbiest is going to risk several grand of treasured posession in such an area and I'm not sure I'd be happy flying my Phantom there either but many folk are and a lot of them take it out of the box and go fly.

As someone said a couple of weeks back on here, the most dangerous item in the DJI box is that quick start guide. I'm sure that's all the reading quite a few people do. Not me as I can't afford to lose my bird and I sure as hell don't want to maim some poor inocent bystander.
2015-2-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

you are totally right trail, and the fact that there are morons out there that dont care about being responsible but care more about their 'rights' and their 'fun' with no regard for others, directly feeds the 'craze' and that turns into unnecessary and unfortunate rules, laws and legislation only because of said morons.
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Even with RC airplanes we have the ones we call "Outlaws". They don't like paying to join a club and having to follow all the rules. So they just find a vacant place somewhere and often fly where they shouldn't be flying.
2015-2-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

the key word there is vacant place.  since a vacant place doesnt make for sensationalized evening news, nobody ever hears about them.  not so much with our new additions to the mix...
2015-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules