P4 Pro: New Focus Settings (AF Assistant MF Assistant etc)
8823 23 2016-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Anyone know where I can learn more about the new camera focus settings and what they do?  They appear in the new DJI Go 4 app?  Any documentation at all?
2016-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

The Focus Assist zooms in 10x (seems like 10x) when you tap the screen on AF.  If you're in Manual Focus mode, then anytime you move the focus slider up/down, it zooms in 10x again.  It's actually pretty cool since you can use it as a zoom to VIEW, but it does not RECORD that zoomed-in shot to the microSD card.

It's to help you realize EXACTLY the object you intend to focus upon.  

Below all of that towards the bottom, be sure you do the Camera Lens Calibration.  Mine MADE me do that the first time I went into MF.
2016-12-4
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-4 22:36
The Focus Assist zooms in 10x (seems like 10x) when you tap the screen on AF.  If you're in Manual Focus mode, then anytime you move the focus slider up/down, it zooms in 10x again.  It's actually pretty cool since you can use it as a zoom to VIEW, but it does not RECORD that zoomed-in shot to the microSD card.

It's to help you realize EXACTLY the object you intend to focus upon.  

Ah thank you!  Another question: My P4 did not require me to focus as I flew around (or atleast I dont remember).  Is there a similar option in the P4P (an option that would not require me to tap to focus...like does it have autofocus?)

-Ryan
2016-12-5
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Yes, and no. No, it does not have autofocus. Yes, you can program a button to focus on whatever is centered in the screen and just press this. Also, I believe that a half-press on the camera button on the remote will do the same.
2016-12-5
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Natemare13 Posted at 2016-12-5 06:17
Ah thank you!  Another question: My P4 did not require me to focus as I flew around (or atleast I dont remember).  Is there a similar option in the P4P (an option that would not require me to tap to focus...like does it have autofocus?)

-Ryan

I use the 2-stage shutter button since it is so well-designed.  This frees up the C1 & C2 buttons.

Do the Camera Lens Calibration.  I forget to focus but my footage hasn't been blurry ONCE yet.  I did it 2 minutes into my first flight.  This must be for defaulting the camera to GREATER THAN 50 meters focus, from my observations.  Not like it couldn't focus on stuff prior to this indoors before the first flight the next morning.
2016-12-5
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where is this camera lens calibration? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
2016-12-5
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-5 13:52
I use the 2-stage shutter button since it is so well-designed.  This frees up the C1 & C2 buttons.

Do the Camera Lens Calibration.  I forget to focus but my footage hasn't been blurry ONCE yet.  I did it 2 minutes into my first flight.  This must be for defaulting the camera to GREATER THAN 50 meters focus, from my observations.  Not like it couldn't focus on stuff prior to this indoors before the first flight the next morning.

I cant seem to find the Camera Lens Calibration either...
2016-12-5
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

hvilorio Posted at 2016-12-5 19:37
I cant seem to find the Camera Lens Calibration either...

Tap the camera settings toggle (looks like some sliders on the right of the main screen).  They just changed it to say "Calibrate Again" but it use to say Camera Lens Calibration before I updated the FW.

20161205_174158.jpg
2016-12-5
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-6 01:29
Tap the camera settings toggle (looks like some sliders on the right of the main screen).  They just changed it to say "Calibrate Again" but it use to say Camera Lens Calibration before I updated the FW.

I don't see it on the iOS App, apparently is not an option on iOS...
2016-12-6
Use props
fanse186c04e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

is there focus peaking?, just what to know

thanks
2016-12-6
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

fanse186c04e Posted at 2016-12-6 13:29
is there focus peaking?, just what to know

thanks

Yes there is
2016-12-6
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-6 01:29

I also checked with an Android Tablet and the option doesn't show either. I have the latest version of the DJI Go 4.0 and the latest firmware on the Phantom...
2016-12-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

hvilorio Posted at 2016-12-6 09:57
I also checked with an Android Tablet and the option doesn't show either. I have the latest version of the DJI Go 4.0 and the latest firmware on the Phantom...

Weird.  Maybe it's just the P4P+.

Also, I don't have focus peaking on the P4P+.  
2016-12-6
Use props
www.airspacemul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190 ft
Australia

Hi I have made a video to help you out about focusing

2016-12-6
Use props
Adaham
lvl.1

Germany

www.airspacemul Posted at 2016-12-7 02:22
Hi I have made a video to help you out about focusing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cIMvE0RP4

Yeah, I just saw that video and it'd be nice to know which version of the app and which system (Android/iOS) you use. I got my P4P two days ago, updated all the firmware, got the DJI GO 4 App and can't find neither the camera calibration, nor the focus peaking. I'm on Android, btw. Very frustrating, especially since I'd really like to have focus peaking...

There are actually a few other things that don't work for me. Like I can change the rudder sensitivity, but it won't save any of the changes I make. :-(
2016-12-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Adaham Posted at 2016-12-7 11:04
Yeah, I just saw that video and it'd be nice to know which version of the app and which system (Android/iOS) you use. I got my P4P two days ago, updated all the firmware, got the DJI GO 4 App and can't find neither the camera calibration, nor the focus peaking. I'm on Android, btw. Very frustrating, especially since I'd really like to have focus peaking...

There are actually a few other things that don't work for me. Like I can change the rudder sensitivity, but it won't save any of the changes I make. :-(

Latest Android version is 4.0.0(74) for P4P

P4P+ version is 4.0.0(6)

So I so suppose THIS might be 1 disadvantage to the built-in screen - slow updates???  I thought it'd be the complete opposite.
2016-12-7
Use props
Adaham
lvl.1

Germany

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-7 20:43
Latest Android version is 4.0.0(74) for P4P

P4P+ version is 4.0.0(6)

But I got the normal P4P, so I should have the newer version. Or are they removing options as they update the software? Doesn't make sense at all...

BTW, anybody know where I can adjust the maximum flight height in Tripod mode/Indoors? It maxes out at roughly 7.8m and tells me to adjust the max flight height in the MC Settings, but in there I can only find the max height for outdoors flying (which is automatically set to 150 and wasn't adjusted by me).

Thanks for any relevant hints!
2016-12-7
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Adaham Posted at 2016-12-7 18:13
But I got the normal P4P, so I should have the newer version. Or are they removing options as they update the software? Doesn't make sense at all...

BTW, anybody know where I can adjust the maximum flight height in Tripod mode/Indoors? It maxes out at roughly 7.8m and tells me to adjust the max flight height in the MC Settings, but in there I can only find the max height for outdoors flying (which is automatically set to 150 and wasn't adjusted by me).

In another post that I asked regarding the Tripod Mode I got this reply and apparently the modes only show up on the P4P Non-Plus version if your:

"startup sequence is Remote--P4 Pro--Then IPAD and App THEN BOTH modes are there!!"

I guess we could try to see if starting up this way could also bring the missing focus calibration, as it brings Draw and Tripod Mode to the app...

I think that the RC doesn't know that it has a P4P connected to it until the P4P is on, and then the RC knowing that it is a P4P informs the app, that is a wild guess but I can' seem to explain it any other way...
2016-12-7
Use props
Adaham
lvl.1

Germany

hvilorio Posted at 2016-12-8 02:13
In another post that I asked regarding the Tripod Mode I got this reply and apparently the modes only show up on the P4P Non-Plus version if your:

"startup sequence is Remote--P4 Pro--Then IPAD and App THEN BOTH modes are there!!"

Hi hvilorio,

I did see that thread of yours and I also saw the suggested order of switching things on. So even despite the fact, that it seems like this SHOULDN'T make a difference, I still did it the way you described it when I flew yesterday, hoping that additional menu settings would miraculously show up.

They didn't

Just to be clear. Tripod mode is there for me and it works like a charm, but I'd like to change a few settings and those are missing, even if following the "best procedure" of switching-on-order.
2016-12-8
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Adaham Posted at 2016-12-8 05:50
Hi hvilorio,

I did see that thread of yours and I also saw the suggested order of switching things on. So even despite the fact, that it seems like this SHOULDN'T make a difference, I still did it the way you described it when I flew yesterday, hoping that additional menu settings would miraculously show up.

I also tested the startup sequence and finally did get the tripod and draw modes, so it works for that... But I am still not getting the focus calibration setting...
2016-12-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

hvilorio Posted at 2016-12-8 11:32
I also tested the startup sequence and finally did get the tripod and draw modes, so it works for that... But I am still not getting the focus calibration setting...

I think they deleted that feature.  Just watched Bill Nichols do a P4P+ walkthrough and his menus look different from mine.  Features are missing or added.

2016-12-8
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-8 14:35
I think they deleted that feature.  Just watched Bill Nichols do a P4P+ walkthrough and his menus look different from mine.  Features are missing or added.

How do you update the GO 4 app on the P4P+?
2016-12-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-8 11:55
How do you update the GO 4 app on the P4P+?

I didn't.  It won't do it.  Done all the more advanced Android-type stuff, too.

The DJI Update service is running & cache cleared within Android, etc etc etc.  Child's play stuff a toddler could do!

CALLED DJI and after 20 minutes, they said "wait."  That's because she probably can't say "WE DON'T KNOW" which is disheartening.  
2016-12-8
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-8 14:59
I didn't.  It won't do it.  Done all the more advanced Android-type stuff, too.

The DJI Update service is running & cache cleared within Android, etc etc etc.  Child's play stuff a toddler could do!

I'm still waiting on mine so hopefully they fix it by the time I get it.
2016-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules