Does anyone have a P4P+that works like it should
12Next >
4152 40 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ronlane
lvl.1

Canada

Mine is enroute from DJI right now and supposed to arrive at my retailer in the next day or so.. Should I have them open and test it before they ship it to me? All I'm seeing is problems here and dont want to recieve a doa bird
2016-12-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As is mine (on the way). My key take-away messages from the majority of posts is to install Assistant 2 'for the P4P' on a PC, use that to install the latest P4P firmware, and Do Not do an IMU calibrate but do a VPS, gimbal and camera calibrate.

I'm game! Sorta...
2016-12-5
Use props
ronlane
lvl.1

Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-5 23:26
As is mine (on the way). My key take-away messages from the majority of posts is to install Assistant 2 'for the P4P' on a PC, use that to install the latest P4P firmware, and Do Not do an IMU calibrate but do a VPS, gimbal and camera calibrate.

I'm game!  Sorta...

Does it work the same for P4P and P4P +   Im waiting for P4P+ and isnt it already loaded?
2016-12-5
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ronlane Posted at 2016-12-6 15:33
Does it work the same for P4P and P4P +   Im waiting for P4P+ and isnt it already loaded?

Can't say for a fact, but logically it should. My understanding is that it's only the RC that's different. The P4P itself should be the same.

But the posts I've read have suggested that attaching to a PC is the way to go, but then I haven't seen too many posts from people with P4P+ units to advise yet as to how well the P4P+ RC Assistant works.
2016-12-5
Use props
Mamalemond
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1646240 ft
United States

Mine works fine!  Flies well - very smooth.  I didn't do any updates as it said that they were all good.  Didn't do any calibrates either.

Just had some video lag issues which were probably my slower tablet - my iphone works.

Have hope - you are only seeing the negatives - everyone else is out flying!
2016-12-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just came home to find mine had a arrived.
Charged everything and had a flawless 10 min check flight in he dark.
What a sweet drone.
WIll check camera etc in daylight.
2016-12-6
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Received mine on December 2nd, updated all firmware, performed ONLY a gimbal calibration,  flown 4 times (3 batteries each time, 2 original P4 batteries and 1 HICAP) and I'm elated to say, not a single issue with the aircraft. DJI GO 4, however, on IOS has a bug with trying to set custom color (sharpness, contrast, saturation)
2016-12-6
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2016-12-6 02:32
Received mine on December 2nd, updated all firmware, performed ONLY a gimbal calibration,  flown 4 times (3 batteries each time, 2 original P4 batteries and 1 HICAP) and I'm elated to say, not a single issue with the aircraft. DJI GO 4, however, on IOS has a bug with trying to set custom color (sharpness, contrast, saturation)

Yes I agree there is a bug in the custom setting with IOS (sharpness, contrast, saturation) DJI can you confirm?.......
2016-12-6
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

No issues here, updated and calibrated.

18 flights between 16 and 25 min.

Love it
2016-12-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-6 21:08
Just came home to find mine had a arrived.
Charged everything and had a flawless 10 min check flight in he dark.
What a sweet drone.

Straight out of the box with no updates, calibrations etc and this thing works great, just the way it should.
2016-12-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-5 20:26

I'm game!  Sorta...

My built-in screen P4P+ said QUOTE "Latest Firmware!" exactly like that, but was missing Tripod & Draw modes (that's easily identifiable), so I knew I hadn't the latest.  Plugged-in to DJI Assistant 2 and voila, updated firmware.

I only did the VPS calibration because that's supposed to make it even more sensitive.  I already had the USB cable hooked up, too.  *You'll hate the sound the gimbal makes when the drone is not upright.

Even though your title CLEARLY says P4P+, I see a few others have managed to chime in about iOS...  wow
2016-12-6
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-12-6 16:02
Yes I agree there is a bug in the custom setting with IOS (sharpness, contrast, saturation) DJI can you confirm?.......

As a photographer I can confirm that the default settings are just WAY over sharpened.  People think this has to do with DPI and Shutter and all that sort of stuff.  Not so (well actually maybe default shutter) but.......  Just soften all of your settings in "Custom" mode and you should be fine.  People forget that this is actually a camera not just a drone,  and unlike the Phantom 4,  the Phantom 4 Pro is adding in an F-Stop.
If I just made a large commitment to buying a drone like this, I would brush up on general photography knowledge.  Of course that's not me hating on anyone,  DJI has always oversold people on the simplistic nature of their products.  However at the moment, I wouldn't just put this thing in to auto pilot and go.  I would definitely use your manual settings.  
2016-12-6
Use props
ConnaZA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15331 ft
South Africa

I had the maiden flight today without updating the firmware.

Collision avoidance sensor calibration OK.
IMU calibration OK.
gimbal calibration OK.
Compass calibration OK.

1st 1/2 of flight was done in Beginner mode to make sure everything functions and all was OK.
I landed the drone and took off to make sure the home point was at the takeoff position then started it up to test sportsmode and other modes. All OK.

So far I'm a happy customer and cannot complain. Thanks DJI!
2016-12-7
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I had 1 flight so far. only calibrated compass. ~2x 10min in different locations, tried some follow me, different camera settings, photos.

Upon review, i noticed some light twitching in the gimbal.. sort of erratic... 4x total .. in variable intervals. So yesterday i calibrated gimbal, but have yet to fly again.

everything else perfect. I compared video-stills to RX100m4 and they look almost identical at ISO1600. Awesome!
i come from P3p, so it is very impressive to see how stable it hovers/moves. incredible. Even tho gimbals will take care of that, it s still nice to see how far they have come - i guess all the sensors are good for something

RX100m4-vs.-P4pro-vs.P3_small.jpg
2016-12-7
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

@ thanks Sebb!
2016-12-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sebb Posted at 2016-12-8 02:02
I had 1 flight so far. only calibrated compass. ~2x 10min in different locations, tried some follow me, different camera settings, photos.

Upon review, i noticed some light twitching in the gimbal.. sort of erratic... 4x total .. in variable intervals. So yesterday i calibrated gimbal, but have yet to fly again.

"I had 1 flight so far. only calibrated compass."

Read p57 in the manual - it's different from what you are used to.
2016-12-7
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-5 23:48
Can't say for a fact, but logically it should. My understanding is that it's only the RC that's different. The P4P itself should be the same.

But the posts I've read have suggested that attaching to a PC is the way to go, but then I haven't seen too many posts from people with P4P+ units to advise yet as to how well the P4P+ RC Assistant works.

Check my post... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=196747

Flawless install and update and have flown almost 4 hours using every options. One flight around 18000 feet round trip, 350' feet alt and 5 degree temp with no problem.
2016-12-7
Use props
Sebb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-8 00:30
"I had 1 flight so far. only calibrated compass."

Read p57 in the manual - it's different from what you are used to.

Why dont you enlighten us
2016-12-7
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Can't really answer this question sorry as I haven't got mine Yet! :-(
2016-12-8
Use props
Chazzm
lvl.2

United States

My P4P no plus, will arrive this Monday or Tuesday, and I won't be doing any calibration except for compass and gimbal, there should be no need to unless the Quadcopter says there's a problem, so my fingers are crossed that the first flight goes well! One thing they should have done was to put BOTH RC's with the same module on the bottom of the RC!!! LoL now I have to wait for a firmware update in order to use my goggles unless I use my nvidia shield K1 tablet,  I'm sure just like the P4 there will be a few bumps down the road but also like the P4 they will find the sweet spot then I won't do another update until it's proven good! LoL
2016-12-9
Use props
jac38
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198110 ft
Thailand

Yes, got mine today and hade camera and gimbal calibration and work just fine, but only fly 2 times yet. Dont hsave the multiloader so painful slow process loading everything..
2016-12-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chazzm Posted at 2016-12-9 03:41
My P4P no plus, will arrive this Monday or Tuesday, and I won't be doing any calibration except for compass and gimbal, there should be no need to unless the Quadcopter says there's a problem, so my fingers are crossed that the first flight goes well! One thing they should have done was to put BOTH RC's with the same module on the bottom of the RC!!! LoL now I have to wait for a firmware update in order to use my goggles unless I use my nvidia shield K1 tablet,  I'm sure just like the P4 there will be a few bumps down the road but also like the P4 they will find the sweet spot then I won't do another update until it's proven good! LoL

Apparently the new firmware fixes the IMU calibration errors. There's no reason to be afraid of calibrating the IMU, it doesn't hurt to do it from time to time.
2016-12-9
Use props
Chazzm
lvl.2

United States

OK update, I have received my P4P charged everything up installed my HDMI module, did the aircraft firmware update PASSED first try, did the RC PASSED first try restarted everything, went outside and restarted
Everything including my Fat Shark Dominator V3 ran absolutely PERFECT!!!! Not one glitch or problem at all!!! I love the camera and the way everything looks through the goggles!!! I flew her out to 5290' not one drop out of video so I pushed her to 26000' still fine! I will take her out tomorrow and see how far I can go before signal starts to degrade! but all in all beautiful first flight!!! anyone else start out perfect?
2016-12-12
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Received the P4 PRO Plus today  Like the P4 PRO from last week.  1- Unboxed -  2- Charged RC and Battery  3 - Left Aircraft outside for 1/2 hour (2 C. without the battery)  3- Turned RC on, signed to DJI.  4- Turned AC (DO NOT UPDATE)  5- Initialized IMU (Must follow step and images to the letter! or don't come back ). FLAT LEVELED SURFACE - Success. Turn off RC and Ac.  6- Turn RC / AC back on ( DO NOT UPDATE)  6- Did AUTOMATIC GIMBAL CALIBRATION - Success - Turn off RC and AC  7 - Turn RC / AC back on, PLUG  THE DONGGLE FROM RC TO the Aircraft  and click DOWNLOAD - It will download and update both in less than 10 miutes.  8- Turn RC/ AC off - Wait few minutes - Turn RC/ AC on, then did COMPASS CALIBRATION - (remote away, keys, phone ext... away from aircraft) finish calibration and...  UP...  UP... and AWAY 2 Batttery runs  used all the options looks great....  Need Help... Just Tap - GOOD LUCK!
2016-12-12
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

why is no one doing an IMU calib when these things are coming from china?!! Arent you supposed to? Are units bricking or something?
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

sunny051488 Posted at 2016-12-14 10:09
why is no one doing an IMU calib when these things are coming from china?!! Arent you supposed to? Are units bricking or something?

I think you are confused about what the IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit) is designed to do. It does not need any additional calibration to work in the US from that required in China.

2016-12-13
Use props
fansf6a8ca08
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2059534 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine arrived yeasterday, turned on all sensors and hovered in my computer room < 10x10 steady as a rock WOW How cool is that!!!
2016-12-13
Use props
John John
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9177 ft
South Africa

Have mine for two days. Updated firmware on AC x2 and the RC. IMU, compass, RC, gimbal and obstacle avoidance system, all calibrated without issue. Aircraft flies with precision. Have not taken video footage in anger as yet, I am still learning to fly before I try fly+video. All-in-all, from unboxing until now, I've not had any issue - no squealing fan, no skew gimbal, no loose prop-mounts - holding thumbs that this trend may continue onward and upward....
2016-12-13
Use props
fans6c69eba4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, I got the P4P+ and I've had no issues at all.

I'm absolutely loving it!

*touch wood*
2016-12-14
Use props
Skyler King III
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1387582 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Phantom 4 Professional (with Display) arrived today. I have owned a P3 Advanced and still own a Phantom 4 and Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. I have a Parrot Disco coming my way tomorrow for giggles only.  After unboxing and charging all batteries and controller, I updated all software/firmware on the Controller/Display and then used my Mac to download the new Assistant, calibrate the "cameras" (obstacle avoidance). Every time I did a firmware or there calibration or update. I shut down both the controller and aircraft and then restarted. I had no issues with the software/firmware update using the process I just described. I took it outside for a test flight. I calibrated the compass but could not find a way to calibrate the IMUs. I calibrated the gimbal.  Started up with no problems. Initial few minutes were in a very close area no more than 4 feet off the ground, to make sure all was 100%  Climbed to 200 then 400 feet (slowly and cautiously). I headed to a spot where by P4 loses all signals 2000 feet from the launch site with plenty of trees between us. My P4 DOES have those copper things slid on the two antennas to "focus" the signal and my P4P does not (yet, it's coming) I had no problem reaching this site 1/2 mile away with excellent signal despite the trees (forest) between us. So, I found much better reception between my P4 and P4P, favoring the P4P.  Excellent to the inch stability in moderately high wind.  Flew back and explored the opposite direction for about 1500 feel away with houses and trees between us.  Came back and chose a round "picnic table" that in summer had an umbrella in it as my favorite landing place. Now just the hole in the center and no umbrella.  Hovered over it and using VPS on the very good texture, it was again to the inch steady, despite some wind. I then landed on the table. The stability over the table is noticeably better than my P4. And much better than my Typhoon (which is now at the factory to check out it's lack of rock solid hover),  I love the P4P and as you can see, I am a stickler for detail (I am "big" aircraft pilot as well and have been for 40 years.). Same philosophy: Dot every i and cross every t. I don't just kick the tires and light the fires.  These "drones" are not toys. It takes real attention to detail not to have a disaster on your hands (and maybe someone else's).  Again. no problems with updates, firmware bugs etc like some of us are talking about here.  PS; I did sign up for DJI Care/Refresh.
2016-12-14
Use props
Skyler King III
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-6 12:26

I'm game!  Sorta...

My Phantom 4 Professional (with Display) arrived today. I have owned a P3 Advanced and still own a Phantom 4 and Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. I have a Parrot Disco coming my way tomorrow for giggles only.

After unboxing and charging all batteries and controller, I updated all software/firmware on the Controller/Display and then used my Mac to download the new Assistant, calibrate the "cameras" (obstacle avoidance). Every time I did a firmware or there calibration or update. I shut down both the controller and aircraft and then restarted. I had no issues with the software/firmware update using the process I just described. I took it outside for a test flight.. I calibrated the gimbal.

Started up with no problems. Initial few minutes were in a very close area no more than 4 feet off the ground, to make sure all was 100%

Climbed to 200 then 400 feet (slowly and cautiously). I headed to a spot where by P4 loses all signals 2000 feet from the launch site with plenty of trees between us. My P4 DOES have those copper things slid on the two antennas to "focus" the signal and my P4P does not (yet, it's coming) I had no problem reaching this site 1/2 mile away with excellent signal despite the trees (forest) between us. So, I found much better reception between my P4 and P4P, favoring the P4P.

Excellent to the inch stability in moderately high wind.

Flew back and explored the opposite direction for about 1500 feel away with houses and trees between us.

Came back and chose a round "picnic table" that in summer had an umbrella in it as my favorite landing place. Now just the hole in the center and no umbrella.

Hovered over it and using VPS on the very good texture, it was again to the inch steady, despite some wind. I then landed on the table. The stability over the table is noticeably better than my P4. And much better than my Typhoon (which is now at the factory to check out it's lack of rock solid hover),

I love the P4P and as you can see, I am a stickler for detail (I am "big" aircraft pilot as well and have been for 40 years.). Same philosophy: Dot every i and cross every t. I don't just kick the tires and light the fires.

These "drones" are not toys. It takes real attention to detail not to have a disaster on your hands (and maybe someone else's).

Again. no problems with updates, firmware bugs etc like some of us are talking about here.

PS; I did sign up for DJI Care/Refresh.
2016-12-14
Use props
Skyler King III
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Chazzm Posted at 2016-12-9 16:41

My Phantom 4 Professional (with Display) arrived today. I have owned a P3 Advanced and still own a Phantom 4 and Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. I have a Parrot Disco coming my way tomorrow for giggles only.

After unboxing and charging all batteries and controller, I updated all software/firmware on the Controller/Display and then used my Mac to download the new Assistant, calibrate the "cameras" (obstacle avoidance). Every time I did a firmware or there calibration or update. I shut down both the controller and aircraft and then restarted. I had no issues with the software/firmware update using the process I just described. I took it outside for a test flight.  I calibrated the gimbal.

Started up with no problems. Initial few minutes were in a very close area no more than 4 feet off the ground, to make sure all was 100%

Climbed to 200 then 400 feet (slowly and cautiously). I headed to a spot where by P4 loses all signals 2000 feet from the launch site with plenty of trees between us. My P4 DOES have those copper things slid on the two antennas to "focus" the signal and my P4P does not (yet, it's coming) I had no problem reaching this site 1/2 mile away with excellent signal despite the trees (forest) between us. So, I found much better reception between my P4 and P4P, favoring the P4P.

Excellent to the inch stability in moderately high wind.

Flew back and explored the opposite direction for about 1500 feel away with houses and trees between us.

Came back and chose a round "picnic table" that in summer had an umbrella in it as my favorite landing place. Now just the hole in the center and no umbrella.

Hovered over it and using VPS on the very good texture, it was again to the inch steady, despite some wind. I then landed on the table. The stability over the table is noticeably better than my P4. And much better than my Typhoon (which is now at the factory to check out it's lack of rock solid hover),

I love the P4P and as you can see, I am a stickler for detail (I am "big" aircraft pilot as well and have been for 40 years.). Same philosophy: Dot every i and cross every t. I don't just kick the tires and light the fires.

These "drones" are not toys. It takes real attention to detail not to have a disaster on your hands (and maybe someone else's).

Again. no problems with updates, firmware bugs etc like some of us are talking about here.

PS; I did sign up for DJI Care/Refresh.
2016-12-14
Use props
Poway
lvl.2
United States

Skyler King III Posted at 2016-12-14 07:07

After unboxing and charging all batteries and controller, I updated all software/firmware on the Controller/Display and then used my Mac to download the new Assistant, calibrate the "cameras" (obstacle avoidance). Every time I did a firmware or there calibration or update. I shut down both the controller and aircraft and then restarted. I had no issues with the software/firmware update using the process I just described. I took it outside for a test flight.  I calibrated the gimbal.

Skyler King III,

How is the display compared to using a phone?

2016-12-15
Use props
Tommy Tenzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33051 ft
  • >>>
United States

Poway Posted at 2016-12-15 09:13
Skyler King III,

How is the display compared to using a phone?

I'm curious to know how the display is too
2016-12-15
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-6 15:26

I'm game!  Sorta...

My P4P finally arrived. Charged AC battery and RC.
Downloaded and installed Assistant 2 1.0.8 on my Windows 10 laptop. I uninstalled 1.0.7 before installing this new version.
Plugged the P4P into my PC and started the Assistant which told me it was 2 firmware versions behind - updated to most current without issue.
Performed a VPS calibration (3 sets of sensors) without issue.
Turned on RC with iPad and DJI GO 4.0.1. RC detected a firmware update and that was installed without issue.
I noted that the RC connected straight to the P4P so I didn't have to sync.
Checked IMU - both green, so Didn't do an IMU calibration.
Checked compass - oddly, both green, so Didn't do a compass callibration.
Set the settings I wanted on DJI GO - all sensors on, etc
Raining outside last night, so set P4P in middle of my lounge room.

Didn't put props on, and ran up motors to check no wrong sounds. Motors fine, but fan has a bit of a high pitched 'whine' which is not too irritating in close quarters.
Checked for the shell vibration I've been reading about up here - none I could detect on underside.
Powered down, put props on, powered up. RC advised that 2.4GHz signal too poor (I was inside the house with numerous WiFi devices) - switched to 5GHz and all good.
Then the P4P wouldn't take-off as no GPS signal. Turned off Beginner mode (shame, as I wanted to test infrared sensors), and it took-off OK then.
Hovered 1 metre off floor. Perfect hover. Flew around house - very stable with occasional jerky side shuffle. Landed and powered down.

So, in summary - perfect! No issues.
But is it my imagination? When I landed on the floor, as soon as it touched down it sounded like the motors dropped revs slightly. Is this a side-affect of the new ground sensing capability? It would certainly reduce the 'flip-over' risk, if so...

2016-12-15
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine worked as it should out of the box. as much as a noob to these things understands anyways.
2016-12-15
Use props
fans82319248
lvl.2

Australia

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-16 07:52
Mine worked as it should out of the box. as much as a noob to these things understands anyways.

Same here. Worked perfectly right out sof the box. On my second flight I was observed by a commercial drone pilot who said he was impressed at my drone's stability.

I'm not that interested in video but have taken several stills but only using automatic setting so far and am impressed at the colour and image quality. I am too concerned that my initial flights are problem free.

I have not been asked for an IMU calibration nor a compass calibration so have left those alone for the time being. It is stable in flight, returns to home with unerring accuracy, hovers very well even in 15kph winds.

All in all, I am very impressed.
2016-12-16
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.2
United States

My P4P+ seamlessly accepted firmware updates and is working well. I am, however, one of those unusual sorts who first read and mostly understand the manual before going live.
2016-12-16
Use props
AZGeek
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-6 16:48
My built-in screen P4P+ said QUOTE "Latest Firmware!" exactly like that, but was missing Tripod & Draw modes (that's easily identifiable), so I knew I hadn't the latest.  Plugged-in to DJI Assistant 2 and voila, updated firmware.

I only did the VPS calibration because that's supposed to make it even more sensitive.  I already had the USB cable hooked up, too.  *You'll hate the sound the gimbal makes when the drone is not upright.

Ha! Good catch on the iOS comments on the P4P+
2016-12-16
Use props
airspace_media
lvl.3
Flight distance : 190 ft
Australia

Sebb Posted at 2016-12-7 23:02

Great comparasion Sebb. Would you mind if I used it in one of my videos?
2016-12-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules