IR sensors only work in 2 modes? Thats terrible
1288 23 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3105b7bd
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I've recently heard that my new Phantom 4 Pro's IR sensors on the side will only work in Beginner and Tripod mode.  If I had none that, I would've never had ordered it. I don't recall that information being disclosed anywhere.  What do y'all think?  I'm really bummed about this?   I've emailed tech support to see if their is an option to do a software update to allow those IR sensors to work in all modes.  
2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm surprised to hear that knowing that the IR sensors not work in all flight modes would be enough to stop you buying the P4P. Myself, I'm buying it for the superior camera - but hey.

With respect to the IR sensors, this was discussed in another post. The suggestion was that this was due to speed. Any faster flight, and the IR sensors would be ineffective for sideways avoidance - hence Beginner mode (where distance and other attributes are crippled) and Tripod mode (where speed is reduced for good panning etc). But that's just conjecture...
2016-12-7
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Yeah let's return it, because you don't have side sensors where you can fly 50km/h.
Maybe let's wait for the Phantom 5, it might have sensors where you can use it in all Modes, but only 48 kmh!

But nah i'm waiting for the Phantom 8 because it might lift myself up in the air and travel.

Joking aside, no in my opinion it's fine. I just wanted Backwards Sensors and we got that & also a flying DSLR!
2016-12-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-8 08:59
I'm surprised to hear that knowing that the IR sensors not work in all flight modes would be enough to stop you buying the P4P. Myself, I'm buying it for the superior camera - but hey.

With respect to the IR sensors, this was discussed in another post. The suggestion was that this was due to speed. Any faster flight, and the IR sensors would be ineffective for sideways avoidance - hence Beginner mode (where distance and other attributes are crippled) and Tripod mode (where speed is reduced for good panning etc). But that's just conjecture...

Here in Australia we would just refer to this as pointless whinging. Adjust the description as necessary to suit your region.

2016-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

If it's a deal breaker just sell it on , I used to love action man toys,  there's always something out there for everyone.. lol
2016-12-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-7 22:20
If it's a deal breaker just sell it on , I used to love action man toys,  there's always something out there for everyone.. lol

Here you go, best of both worlds...
untitled - Copy.png
2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-8 09:31

Haha! And are they missiles? Cool! I want one...

But I think we've given the poor guy enough now. All aside, I was surprised to read it in the manual (yes, it's there), but it shouldn't be a show-stopper. I said it was the camera for me before, but like Ange1walk the rear-ward sensors are also gold for me, for when subject tracking (like a moving bike) forces the P4P to move backwards.
2016-12-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-7 23:07
Haha! And are they missiles? Cool! I want one...

But I think we've given the poor guy enough now. All aside, I was surprised to read it in the manual (yes, it's there), but it shouldn't be a show-stopper. I said it was the camera for me before, but like Ange1walk the rear-ward sensors are also gold for me, for when subject tracking (like a moving bike) forces the P4P to move backwards.

Just had a thought, DJI could always extend the beginner mode radius to over 30m in some future firmware build.
2016-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-7 23:31

Love it,  remember waking up one Christmas morning took the wrapping of my Christmas prezzie was expecting Action man, box was empty,  dad told me it was invisible action man.. lol
2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-8 10:17
Just had a thought, DJI could always extend the beginner mode radius to over 30m in some future firmware build.

Not sure I understand why? Also, I recall the speed is crippled also.

I actually think it's a good feature for newbies, or where I hand the controls over to someone who is. It's an expensive drone and like the idea of being able to put it sometimes into a 'play pen'...
2016-12-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

That's funny.  I read your post like I was Yosemite Sam!

Your point is very valid, however, since this thing can go pretty quick sideways...  And in ActiveTrack Profile, the poo could very well hit the proverbial fan quick!

It's still a great drone despite this shortcoming.  Perhaps a FW update will unveil neat, new options!  
2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-8 10:18
Love it,  remember waking up one Christmas morning took the wrapping of my Christmas prezzie was expecting Action man, box was empty,  dad told me it was invisible action man.. lol

Haha! I thought you were going to say was that you were expecting Action Man, and all you got was a #@&% Phantom 4 drone !! {:4_157:}
2016-12-7
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-7 15:13
Here in Australia we would just refer to this as pointless whinging. Adjust the description as necessary to suit your region.

Thanks for the reminder of the language that unites and divides us.. Here in the United States we would say "pointless whining" but "whinging" has the superior sound and history.
2016-12-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

RE: IR sensors only work in 2 modes? Thats terrible

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-12-7 14:04
Yeah let's return it, because you don't have side sensors where you can fly 50km/h.
Maybe let's wait for the Phantom 5, it might have sensors where you can use it in all Modes, but only 48 kmh!

Yep, backwards thingys & FLYING DSLR, for sure!  

Also 5.8Ghz      
2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-8 10:22
That's funny.  I read your post like I was Yosemite Sam!

Your point is very valid, however, since this thing can go pretty quick sideways...  And in ActiveTrack Profile, the poo could very well hit the proverbial fan quick!

Ah, good point - I was thinking of sideways detection while moving forward (which would be ineffectual for infared at speed, I'd imagine), rather than sideways 'slipping'. Yes, agreed. I agree with you and the original poster.

But I'd still buy the P4P regardless...  
2016-12-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-7 23:21
Not sure I understand why? Also, I recall the speed is crippled also.

I actually think it's a good feature for newbies, or where I hand the controls over to someone who is. It's an expensive drone and like the idea of being able to put it sometimes into a 'play pen'...

Because IR works in beginner mode, supposing you're using course lock and rotating to track target, it would give you side protection. Either that or build it in as an option to Course Lock etc, with speed limitations as needed.
I fully agree the beginner mode is a must for first time users.
2016-12-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-7 23:18

I thought you were going to say "Action man deserter"
2016-12-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-7 15:28
Ah, good point - I was thinking of sideways detection while moving forward (which would be ineffectual for infared at speed, I'd imagine), rather than sideways 'slipping'. Yes, agreed. I agree with you and the original poster.

But I'd still buy the P4P regardless...

I agree with you agreeing.

Plus, sideways detection could save you from a feral child with a boomerang... or something!  I've seen Mad Max & know how rough you guys have it down under.  
{:4_181:}
2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-8 10:34
I agree with you agreeing.

Plus, sideways detection could save you from a feral child with a boomerang... or something!  I've seen Mad Max & know how rough you guys have it down under.

Nah, the boomerang was the original design for radar invisibility - no chance of avoiding those incoming. But Drop Bears, on the other hand...
2016-12-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-8 10:38
Nah, the boomerang was the original design for radar invisibility - no chance of avoiding those incoming. But Drop Bears, on the other hand...

2016-12-7
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Haha! Which is exactly my point Geebax. The P4P doesn't have upwards sensors, so it wouldn't stand a chance !!

(hehe)
2016-12-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2016-12-7 17:09
Haha! Which is exactly my point Geebax. The P4P doesn't have upwards sensors, so it wouldn't stand a chance !!

(hehe)

Gotta love how upward sensors weren't included in the P4P, but they put them in the Inspire 2 just to show us that they 'could' have in the P4P!  

Have to keep a little meat on the bone, I suppose.
2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-7 15:31

If you want a real He Man heli, have a look at the new TRex helicopter. Hahaha image.jpeg
Be careful, those will bite you if they get too close. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2016-12-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-8 05:57
Gotta love how upward sensors weren't included in the P4P, but they put them in the Inspire 2 just to show us that they 'could' have in the P4P!  

It's probably more practical than that, there's not much space on top of the P4 that isn't covered by props, and what there is encases the GPS receiver.
2016-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules