Allstate Insurance
17525 18 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M4BMW
Second Officer
United States

I have seen threads discussing insurance for drones mainly dealing with State Farm. I have a homeowners policy through Allstate so I decided to give them a call. They first said they offer a plan for 60 dollars a year that would cover any type of liability that may occur if my Mavic Pro were to smash into my neighbors car. But in reading my policy I have that type of coverage already. So I did some investigating and I found out that Allstate has a Scheduled Personal Property policy that might work. So today I called my agent and found out that I could cover my drone from loss, theft, and damage under this policy for 19 dollars a year. WHAT!!! I said, doubled checked and yes if you have an existing homeowners policy this policy will cover you with no deductable and will cover full price of your drone once you provide the receipt, model, and serial number. Just an FYI for all Allstate customers.
2016-12-7
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Good deal. I haven't been able to find a company that will insure mine in California, seems like they do everywhere else
2016-12-7
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

nice! I have State Farm so should see what they say for me...
2016-12-7
Use props
mgrosvold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 841929 ft
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-8 09:57
nice! I have State Farm so should see what they say for me...

My homeowner's policy is through Auto Owners Insurance.  I purchased a $60/yr Personal Affects policy for my Mavic from State Farm.   My Auto Owners agent told me that if she added a PA rider onto my homeowners insurance to cover my drone , any claim for loss of or damage to the drone would be seen as a claim against the homeowners policy and could result in higher premiums in the future.  She advised that it would be a good idea to buy a PA policy from another insurer.  SF had no problem selling me a stand alone PA policy.
2016-12-7
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

mgrosvold Posted at 2016-12-7 21:25
My homeowner's policy is through Auto Owners Insurance.  I purchased a $60/yr Personal Affects policy for my Mavic from State Farm.   My Auto Owners agent told me that if she added a PA rider onto my homeowners insurance to cover my drone , any claim for loss of or damage to the drone would be seen as a claim against the homeowners policy and could result in higher premiums in the future.  She advised that it would be a good idea to buy a PA policy from another insurer.  SF had no problem selling me a stand alone PA policy.

thanks for the info...I may go that route...
2016-12-7
Use props
Nolla9
New
Flight distance : 169961 ft
United States

Im sure its on the forum somewhere but Im too lazy to search - has anyone had to use their drone insurance from All State and if so what happened to your rate?

For example - I have my drone insured for $35 / year thru all state - what if I had to put in a claim for a lost or damaged drone? Has any one had this experience?

Thanks
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Nolla9 Posted at 2017-9-26 12:42
Im sure its on the forum somewhere but Im too lazy to search - has anyone had to use their drone insurance from All State and if so what happened to your rate?

For example - I have my drone insured for $35 / year thru all state - what if I had to put in a claim for a lost or damaged drone? Has any one had this experience?

Why not pose that question to the Insurance companies? Of course, why not compare that as well to DJI's Care plan. Many have suggested that it has been helpful at a time it was most needed.'
2017-9-26
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

My liability coverage is under the umbrella of the homes owners insurance - Travelers
2017-9-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

thats fantastic that seems to be some additional options.   also great as i maybe switching agents soon seems either my agent come under fire from higher ups or she just got a splintered stick deep in her butt..  so i will be asking around outside of state farm as well..
2017-9-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Everyone else talks about 60/yr coverage from State Farm, but my agent quoted 30/yr.  However, it is generally thought that if you make a claim, they will pay it and then cancel you.  I used to insure everything through them, but switched to another company when they decided they would cancel my home-owners because I made a hail damage claim.  They took care of the storm damage and then cancelled it.  I moved all of my insurance to another company with the exception of my PAP.  Should they decide to cancel that, I'll take it to the other company.  In the meantime, I'm paying 30/yr for each of two drones.  (Nebraska)

Why not just use DJI Care?  Because I must send it back to them to make a claim.  I do have DJI Care as a backup, but at least with State Farm, it is ALL loss and I don't have to produce the damaged/drowned drone to make the claim.  Of course we all know how long it takes DJI to take any action on things.  With State Farm, I can go get a new one and keep flying.
2017-9-26
Use props
j.rushin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6680 ft
United States

Just talked to my Allstate agent. Response was:  Allstate does offer Scheduled Personal Property but there is no category that drones fall under.  If the drone crashes there is no coverage.
2017-11-7
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

j.rushin Posted at 2017-11-7 17:58
Just talked to my Allstate agent. Response was:  Allstate does offer Scheduled Personal Property but there is no category that drones fall under.  If the drone crashes there is no coverage.

You have to ask for a PAP, don't say drone insurance. Be aware that there's a good chance they might drop you the second you make a claim and it will go into the underwriter database (yeah, I know they say it won't affect other policies, but some people have vouched that it actually will).
2017-11-7
Use props
fansd0d25f96
New

United States

We had Allstate Home Owners for years when we lived in New Orleans. When Hurricane Katrina happened Allstate not only dropped us afterwards but wouldnt write us a new policy after we moved and settled in another State. My advice based on my own experience is dont trust what the selling agent tells you-Verify your coverage with the company. Selling Agents wont tell you all the small details which you’ll learn about instantly when your loss/damage claim is filed. Rumor has it that claims deny 3x before settling. It may only be a rumor but I have had to fight an insurer 3x denials before they finally approved my claim.
2018-1-9
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

fansd0d25f96 Posted at 2018-1-9 09:57
We had Allstate Home Owners for years when we lived in New Orleans. When Hurricane Katrina happened Allstate not only dropped us afterwards but wouldnt write us a new policy after we moved and settled in another State. My advice based on my own experience is dont trust what the selling agent tells you-Verify your coverage with the company. Selling Agents wont tell you all the small details which you’ll learn about instantly when your loss/damage claim is filed. Rumor has it that claims deny 3x before settling. It may only be a rumor but I have had to fight an insurer 3x denials before they finally approved my claim.

My local Allstate company ,who has my home, cars (except for 2 classics) & bikes, tells me- We have no such coverage that would include a drone.
So, you who have success dealing with Allstate, what/how did you ask/get a drone policy?
2018-1-9
Use props
fans92849ff7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123563 ft
United States

Great info, thanks!
2018-2-2
Use props
djiuser_5UXs30m2Cj9S
lvl.1

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-9-26 17:01
Everyone else talks about 60/yr coverage from State Farm, but my agent quoted 30/yr.  However, it is generally thought that if you make a claim, they will pay it and then cancel you.  I used to insure everything through them, but switched to another company when they decided they would cancel my home-owners because I made a hail damage claim.  They took care of the storm damage and then cancelled it.  I moved all of my insurance to another company with the exception of my PAP.  Should they decide to cancel that, I'll take it to the other company.  In the meantime, I'm paying 30/yr for each of two drones.  (Nebraska)

Why not just use DJI Care?  Because I must send it back to them to make a claim.  I do have DJI Care as a backup, but at least with State Farm, it is ALL loss and I don't have to produce the damaged/drowned drone to make the claim.  Of course we all know how long it takes DJI to take any action on things.  With State Farm, I can go get a new one and keep flying.

And with DJI CareRefresh you have to send them the drone to make a claim...what happens if you crash in the ocean...you get nothing from DJI...I believe with these other policies (State Farm, Allstate, etc.)  you can make a claim without having to produce the crashed drone.  That's a huge advantage not to mention that most of these policies seem cheaper than DJI's CareRefresh.  Maybe I'm missing something..correct me if I'm wrong.
Also can you purchase a standalone policy for your drone (i.e., you don't have to have other insurance with that insurer?)
2021-4-24
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Wow - old thread that someone dug up.  The more significant part is not the cost of the drone, but the liability for damage or injury that your drone causes to someone else.  That can easily end up far more than the cost of the drone.
As for Allstate, my homeowners policy was with them for the first about 15 years that I owned my house.  Never had a single claim, and out of the blue, I was told that they were not going to renew my policy - no reason given.  
2021-4-24
Use props
CatfishAJ
lvl.1

United States

K6CCC Posted at 4-24 12:23
Wow - old thread that someone dug up.  The more significant part is not the cost of the drone, but the liability for damage or injury that your drone causes to someone else.  That can easily end up far more than the cost of the drone.
As for Allstate, my homeowners policy was with them for the first about 15 years that I owned my house.  Never had a single claim, and out of the blue, I was told that they were not going to renew my policy - no reason given.

I don't own a home. I rent.
2021-7-16
Use props
djiuser_GDqeJGhib4wa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47953 ft
United States

what is the deductible on that? just curious- I have Allstate as well and have just asked them about this type of insurance- waiting to hear back-thanks!
2021-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules