12Next >
8566 57 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

Hello

I've got an issue where it feels I'm getting an unlevel horizon very often with the Mavic. I've done several IMU calibrations, with compass calibrations and auto gimbal adjustment. Mind you the auto gimabl adjustment never works perfectly and always requires a manual adjustment but my understanding is this might be normal.

See below a video, on a nice still afternoon. The camera has perfect tilt - but when I fly the Mavic to the left the horizon drops off level. Then the same thing happens and gets worse when I fly back right. Changing the heading of the aircraft then fixes the issue, but when moving sideways and sometimes forwards the horizon gets unlevel.

Again I've done a few IMU calibrations in different locations to see if I can fix the issue and multiple auto gimbal adjustments. Is this a fault in the unit?

2016-12-9
Use props
Akoola
New

United Kingdom

Just found this...
2016-12-9
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

Akoola Posted at 2016-12-9 19:30
Just found this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrjggPyLyCg

Thanks. Having trouble performing this, on the calibration page of the DJI Assistant it advises that I need to 'please reboot the aircraft" Done this several times, tried another cable, different batter but always the same error.
2016-12-9
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

JSSR Posted at 2016-12-9 18:10
Thanks. Having trouble performing this, on the calibration page of the DJI Assistant it advises that I need to 'please reboot the aircraft" Done this several times, tried another cable, different batter but always the same error.

Got it working on another computer. This calibration just relates to the obstacle avoidance and downward vision sensors. Hasn't helped fix any of my tilt issue.

Anyone else noticing this tilt or is this abnormal?
2016-12-9
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

No it's normal.  It's random.  The only thing you can do to minimize it from happening (it will always randomly happen), is have a good IMU and compass calibration.  It must be done on a perfectly level object.  This means using your table or the floor in your house is not good enough.  Typically you have to build something or use water.
2016-12-9
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

I have completed all the calibrations possible for the Mavic due to this Horizontal tilt issue. IMU was performed outside on a perfectly built flat and level surface, compass calibration performed, gimbal calibration performed ect........NONE is this helped what so ever zero at all.

If you fly in the wind, You WILL have this problem.PERIOD.

If you own a Mavic, you own this problem and it is not going away no matter what you do, enjoy the crappy view !
2016-12-9
Use props
fansa0b5cd05
lvl.1

Australia

JSSR, we must be only 2 people "Berra" with Mavics your issue is not normal. Mine perfect after 7+ hours in the sky. DJI care...
2016-12-9
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks for the reply team. Fansa I can't belive you're from the Berra, and on this forum! Feel free to DM me if you ever have problems and want to see how my mavic does something for comparisons sake.

I don't believe this is normal, I reviewed the several hours of footage I have from the last month and the issue never happened once. Since one week ago it's constantly failing to hold level. It's completely unusable. I logged it with DJI and they are going to take a look at it. I presume it will take ages and not get back to me before Xmas
2016-12-10
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

fansa0b5cd05 Posted at 2016-12-9 14:31
JSSR, we must be only 2 people "Berra" with Mavics  your issue is not normal. Mine perfect after 7+ hours in the sky. DJI care...

try flying it in 15-25 mph steady winds and ill bet you a mil you change your statement
2016-12-10
Use props
fans5f3ebc39
lvl.2
Flight distance : 522835 ft
Germany

JSSR Posted at 2016-12-10 22:16
Thanks for the reply team. Fansa I can't belive you're from the Berra, and on this forum! Feel free to DM me if you ever have problems and want to see how my mavic does something for comparisons sake.

I don't believe this is normal, I reviewed the several hours of footage I have from the last month and the issue never happened once. Since one week ago it's constantly failing to hold level. It's completely unusable. I logged it with DJI and they are going to take a look at it. I presume it will take ages and not get back to me before Xmas

I had the same problems. Follow the steps below:
1. Downgrade to 01.02.0900 (Do not fly),
2. After the downgrade, calibrate the Gimbal,
3. Update to the current firmware.
2016-12-10
Use props
Auspete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You're not alone JSSR. I have the same problem. Fly straight ahead and it's perfect but as soon as you turn the Mavic the horizon tilts and with nil wind. Makes videos and photos unusable unless you are going straight.
I have a P4 and never had this problem. Hopefully DJI will respond.
2016-12-11
Use props
fansa0b5cd05
lvl.1

Australia

Mavvy- 35-40kph wind on the weekend, no issue other than little jello occasionally when changing direction in sport mode. Mine is fine
2016-12-11
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

fans5f3ebc39 Posted at 2016-12-11 07:21
I had the same problems. Follow the steps below:
1. Downgrade to 01.02.0900 (Do not fly),
2. After the downgrade, calibrate the Gimbal,

Thanks Fans. I'll test this afternoon an report back.
2016-12-11
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

JSSR Posted at 2016-12-12 13:19
Thanks Fans. I'll test this afternoon an report back.

No luck - same issue still occurs. I don't even need to fly it now to get it to happen, can just move the thing around the room and it clearly starts hanging flow on the left. Again if you change heading it rectifies right away.
2016-12-12
Use props
grozmo
lvl.2
Australia

fansa0b5cd05 Posted at 2016-12-10 06:31
JSSR, we must be only 2 people "Berra" with Mavics  your issue is not normal. Mine perfect after 7+ hours in the sky. DJI care...

Three of us!

After 60 flights mine hasn't had any issues or tilted horizon etc, it sounds like a fault with some units that is abnormal.
2016-12-12
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80272 ft
Austria

Do you have FPV mode activated accidentally? Because then it exactly behaves like you showed in your video.
2016-12-12
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

Auspete Posted at 2016-12-11 05:34
You're not alone JSSR. I have the same problem. Fly straight ahead and it's perfect but as soon as you turn the Mavic the horizon tilts and with nil wind. Makes videos and photos unusable unless you are going straight.
I have a P4 and never had this problem. Hopefully DJI will respond.

I had the this issue with my P4, always the same issue, I start and horizon straight, flying a little bit and it happened all the time - so P4 I had to return
2016-12-12
Use props
GroveTuckey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264134 ft
United States

I have the same tilt issue on mine.
2016-12-12
Use props
Lans
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8445 ft
United States

Im having a similar issue. After I ran auto gimbal adjustment, it's adjusted a bit but still not perfect.
2016-12-12
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

Lans Posted at 2016-12-13 03:04
Im having a similar issue. After I ran auto gimbal adjustment, it's adjusted a bit but still not perfect.

The issue I show in the video is that it knows where the level horizon is, it's just messing it up when the air craft moves sideways (and sometimes forwards). When you leave it in one spot and move only the heading (IE just turn it left an right) the horizon levels out and says level.

Often the auto gimbal doesn't get it perfect, I suggest use autogimbal then make a few quick manual adjustments. After that you should be right. If not maybe you're having the same issues as my and it's time for a return.
2016-12-12
Use props
JSSR
lvl.1

Australia

D_jan_i Posted at 2016-12-12 20:53
I had the this issue with my P4, always the same issue, I start and horizon straight, flying a little bit and it happened all the time - so P4 I had to return

So was it fixed on the until you got back?
2016-12-12
Use props
Auspete
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EpicLPer Posted at 2016-12-12 22:39
Do you have FPV mode activated accidentally? Because then it exactly behaves like you showed in your video.

No - definitely on followme
2016-12-13
Use props
Auspete
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EpicLPer Posted at 2016-12-12 22:39

No - definitely on followme
2016-12-13
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

JSSR Posted at 2016-12-12 23:18
So was it fixed on the until you got back?

I completely returned it. FPV was not on - I guess it's the way the system tries to compensate the movement, many people had this problem
2016-12-13
Use props
CptLuke
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2455282 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same problem here -
2016-12-13
Use props
SoloPro
lvl.2
Mauritius

Same problem with my Mavic.
2016-12-14
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

I also have this problem. Most of the time it comes after several minutes of flight time.

I think this is a software failure which can hopefully be fixed in future firmware releases.
2016-12-14
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

Mine does this, too. It's rubbish.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi JSSR, did you follow the video tutorial to check your gimbal?
Could you please clarify which mode were you fly in? P mode or S mode?
2016-12-16
Use props
arc
lvl.2

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-16 11:35
Hi JSSR, did you follow the video tutorial to check your gimbal?
Could you please clarify which mode were you fly in? P mode or S mode?

I see similar problems in P mode. Also if I turn very slowly its better, but still not perfect. It seems better when turning to the left as opposed to the right, but still not reliable. If I turn the horizon may be skew and does not fix it self, one turn more and its good again. I checked that the gimbal is behind the clips and seems to be freely moving on "rubber" attachments to body of mavic. I also have done gimbal calibration (when I come home put it on the ground the horizontal point is perfect).

I have not run any calibration with DJI assistant on the PC. I did do compass.

Please let me know if there would be some step by step ways to check this. I guess I should run a test inside to avoid any claims wind being the problem.
2016-12-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

arc Posted at 2016-12-16 21:05
I see similar problems in P mode. Also if I turn very slowly its better, but still not perfect. It seems better when turning to the left as opposed to the right, but still not reliable. If I turn the horizon may be skew and does not fix it self, one turn more and its good again. I checked that the gimbal is behind the clips and seems to be freely moving on "rubber" attachments to body of mavic. I also have done gimbal calibration (when I come home put it on the ground the horizontal point is perfect).

I have not run any calibration with DJI assistant on the PC. I did do compass.

Could you please provide some videos of this issue?
2016-12-17
Use props
arc
lvl.2

Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-18 04:14
Could you please provide some videos of this issue?

Here is a test at the start of flight https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2VN1H4OZDKbOEhZamVZV24tclE. Here you can see the tilt "recovering". There was not much wind, at least no wind warnings in the app, but there was some.

I calibrated the Gimbal at home before going to the field.

Here is a test AFTER doing sport mode (but not for the test) for a while: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2VN1H4OZDKbaVpBdk9FOWY1RFU

I see the new firmware has a cold Temperatur fix for the Gimbal. It was cold when I was testing, so don't know if it could be that.

I also tested at the start in FPV mode, which was worse (at 27s). In the middle of the video I switch back to follow mode and then the tilt recovers on subsequent movemnts. I can almost always see the horizon in tap to fly is correct, but the gimbal horizon does not match. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2VN1H4OZDKbU2JJUDIwQ3RCbzA
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

arc Posted at 2016-12-27 18:32
Here is a test at the start of flight https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2VN1H4OZDKbOEhZamVZV24tclE. Here you can see the tilt "recovering". There was not much wind, at least no wind warnings in the app, but there was some.

I calibrated the Gimbal at home before going to the field.

Hello, expect sport mode and FPV mode.
Did you fly in P mode? Will the horizon still tilted? Besides, please follow the video tutorial double check if your gimbal is setted correctly.

2016-12-28
Use props
bighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I've had this problem on phantom 3 (all 4 I owned), phantom 4 (2 units), and now on my mavic. After a dozen or so IMU and gimbal calibrations you might get it reduced somewhat but as someone posted earlier, you own this problem. I do not know what it is to own a DJI product without this issue. Mind you, I did have one phantom 3 that was better than all the rest regarding tilt, but still there. An almost golden bird. Maybe my next mavic will be like this. But for now, oh well....
2016-12-28
Use props
arc
lvl.2

Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-28 02:18
Hello, expect sport mode and FPV mode.
Did you fly in P mode? Will the horizon still tilted? Besides, please follow the video tutorial double check if your gimbal is setted correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8

yeah, I checked all that. The problem is as the next post comments, it may be that this is just expected by design, but I am unable to get an objective way to understand what the limitations and expectations are.
2016-12-29
Use props
arc
lvl.2

Germany

bighi Posted at 2016-12-28 03:35
I've had this problem on phantom 3 (all 4 I owned), phantom 4 (2 units), and now on my mavic. After a dozen or so IMU and gimbal calibrations you might get it reduced somewhat but as someone posted earlier, you own this problem. I do not know what it is to own a DJI product without this issue. Mind you, I did have one phantom 3 that was better than all the rest regarding tilt, but still there. An almost golden bird. Maybe my next mavic will be like this. But for now, oh well....

thanks for your experienced feed back. I just want a more technical explanation/feed back on what my expectations should be. It seems like if they could feed the "horizon" information from the tap to fly into the gimbal, the gimbal could more accurately follow that. Which from my naive software perspective could be an easy fix.
2016-12-29
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Ive got this this exact problem as well. It seems there are many people with this problem, maybe DJI should do something about this issue, firmware update ?
Ive tried everything, different calibrations several times, downgrading firmware, upgrading firmware, restoring to factory defaults etc. etc.

As of now my Mavic is totally worthless, i can not get any useful video recordings, as soon as i start flying sideways the horizon tilts, and when it comes to a stop after sideways flying it also tilts the horizon.It seems my only solution is to send in the unit and get an replacement as DOA.

Does anybody know what the problem is? Is it a hardware problem with the gimbal or is it something in the firmware? Can this issue even be corrected in a firmware update and is DJI even looking into this problem?
Has anybody found a solution to this problem? I suppose not?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0DUWadyK_6Fdi1JaDZNT1hMXzA/view?usp=sharing

P.S: How do people suceed to embed videos so they are shown directly in the posts? I tried to embed a Google Drive video and it is shown directly in the post while in "preview" but when i save the post there is only text.

2016-12-29
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

I have this problem too since update it starts off crooked and i have to correct it then when i fly if i do any aggressive turns it goes out of whack again
2016-12-29
Use props
seato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583556 ft
Australia

Yea same here. Tried lots of different things but still an issue. Even if in tripod and cinematic mode. Just cannot keep it level when turning round. I think it eventually "settles". Lucky I just take stills and not into video (yet). Would mean fixing in post I guess.
2016-12-29
Use props
Drone Enthusias
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

seato Posted at 2016-12-29 23:51
Yea same here. Tried lots of different things but still an issue. Even if in tripod and cinematic mode. Just cannot keep it level when turning round. I think it eventually "settles". Lucky I just take stills and not into video (yet). Would mean fixing in post I guess.

Well i don't think its acceptable even if you only use to take photos. A drone this expensive should definitely work flawlessly in every aspect.
Maybe DJI is in such a hurry to meet the demand so its affecting the finished product, i don't know?
2016-12-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules