Newbie Phantom 4 Pilot Here :)
960 15 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dusty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154833 ft
Australia

Hi Everybody. Im new here from Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. I have just purchased my DJI Phantom 4 and im nearly ready to fly. I have read all the instructions, done the firmware updates, watched countless vidoes and I think im ready to go.. I have flown a drone before so im hoping this will be way better then the one I had.. My question for the group is I need to update my Ipad as its not compatible with the DJI Go App.. was thinking of Ipad Mini 2, but is ther anything better that is easier to see in the daylight? my understanding is the Crystalsky screen is not yet available? as I cant find it on the website. Any advise would be welcomed.
2016-12-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use an iPad Pro 9.7 as my primary display (perfect fit in P4 RC holder), which I believe has the brightest display of all the iPads.
I found this interesting article that gives some comparison:-

iPad Pro 9.7

It's down to what your budget will stretch to really.

Edit:-

It may be worthwhile waiting for Crystalsky
2016-12-10
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

I use the ipad pro 9.7 also and I use it 95% of the time. the other 5% is a ipad mini 4. both operate very good.
2016-12-10
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, do you have a compatible smart phone you can use just to get you flying?
As said in the above posts ipad pro or mini 4 are very good, as you know DJI have a compatible device list that you can choose from, depends on your taste if you like IOS or android.  
2016-12-10
Use props
Paddle Faster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 678825 ft
United States

I pad pro 9.7".
I got my P4 in mid August this last summer, never flown a drone before. watched all the videos, read the user manual and started very slowly and gently.  Everything has functioned perfectly.
2016-12-10
Use props
Dusty
lvl.1
Australia

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-12-11 01:26
Hi, do you have a compatible smart phone you can use just to get you flying?
As said in the above posts ipad pro or mini 4 are very good, as you know DJI have a compatible device list that you can choose from, depends on your taste if you like IOS or android.

Hi Negilbrinkmann, Yes I have an up todate Iphone, its ok just a but small and fiddly at times. Having big fingers doesn't help either lol.
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dusty Posted at 2016-12-11 12:57
Hi Negilbrinkmann, Yes I have an up todate Iphone, its ok just a but small and fiddly at times. Having big fingers doesn't help either lol.

None of this matters, it will never stop raining in Ballarat long enough to fly the aircraft anyway
2016-12-10
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Hi Dusty, I am using a iPad Mini 2 and find it perfect for what I need. Got the wifi only version and use my iPhone if I need the cellular function. Depend what your budget stretches to but the basic ipad2 mini should be fine.

(I am only a couple of hours away from you at Horsham )
2016-12-10
Use props
Lethal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-11 10:04
None of this matters, it will never stop raining in Ballarat long enough to fly the aircraft anyway

Oh thats harsh (but true!)
2016-12-10
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-11 10:04

Haha,yeah if it's not raining,it's its blowing a Gail or freezing cold
2016-12-10
Use props
Jester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195016 ft

United States

Congrats Dusty, love the profile pic!
2016-12-10
Use props
Trump
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139295 ft
United States

iPad Pro 9.7 is the way to go. It is not all about DJI, and when you are not flying, the iPad Pro 9.7 is a nice machine
2016-12-10
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I only had a standard full size iPad.  I at first simply taped it to the controller because the mount would not open enough to take it.  Then I found an adapter on Amazon that clipped on and allowed the pad to mount without the tape.  I then turned the display fully bright and constructed a sunshade out of black construction paper.  The combination works great then I really upgraded and splurged $23 on the Litchi.  That was a great move.  I have not even opened the DJI GO app since as I had numerous problems with it, including dropped connections, green screen, etc.  
Good luck flying!
WA5TEF
2016-12-10
Use props
Dusty
lvl.1
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-11 13:04

lol Cheeky bugga.. Haven't you heard of climate change.. lmao
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dusty Posted at 2016-12-11 15:33
lol Cheeky bugga.. Haven't you heard of climate change.. lmao

Yeah, but it started changing in Ballarat 100 years ago, so I guess that put Ballarat in front of the game. Some of my ancestors came from there and I am still in contact with two friends in town. For what it is worth, I got a second hand iPad Air 2 from Cash Converters in Bendigo for a really good price, and added a sunshade from eBay and it works beautifully. In fact you never hear from anyone complaining about them.
2016-12-10
Use props
Dusty
lvl.1
Australia

Jester Posted at 2016-12-11 14:15
Congrats Dusty, love the profile pic!

Thanks Jester, I probably should of cleaned my teeth before I took it hey..
2016-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules