Seeking advice on crashed Phantom 4
936 7 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newbieflyer
New

United States

Hi everyone, first-time drone-flyer here from South Carolina, United States. This morning I was flying my phantom 4 in my backyard when it clipped a branch and tumbled to the ground. There wasn't any major damage but now the left landing gear has separated slightly from the body. Unfortunately I don't have DJI care but I'm reasonably handy and I've replaced the battery in my iphone before. I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who has worked on drones or has been in a similar situation.

Should I:
1) Attempt to glue the piece back into place with super glue.
2) Replace the lower part of the body shell
Or something else?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_4050.JPG
2016-12-10
Use props
lasersbee
New
Canada

Super Glue or CA Glue will not work well. What you need is a solvent based glue to weld the plastic together. Find out what type of plastic is used on the landing gear and get the appropriate glue for that type of plastic.
2016-12-10
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

What other damage has been done that you can't see?
2016-12-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The best course of action would be to have the unit sent in for repair for a full evaluation. The repair team would send you an invoice prior to performing any repairs, so that way you can decide whether you want to move forward with the repairs.
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I agree with DJI-Jamie, the impact has pulled out one of the threaded studs in the body section, and the obstacle avoidance camera is very close to that area. The lower body section will need to be replaced, and it is not a trivial exercise. Send it back to be repaired, and above all, do not use super-glue on it, wrong product for plastic.
2016-12-10
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

Order replacement gear, cheap and a easy fix.
2016-12-11
Use props
Paulemus
New

United States

Duck tape.
2016-12-11
Use props
newbieflyer
New

United States

Thanks for everyone's reply.

Sending it back to DJI is not an option because I'll be using the drone heavily over the next couple of days. I ended up using a plastic epoxy from Lowe's and gluing the landing gear back into place.

Here are the after photos:

IMG_7894.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG

Today I flew it for nearly an hour with several takeoffs and landings without issue. We'll see how it holds up over time but for now the problem appears to be resolved!

2016-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules