123Next >
11584 113 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
elafargue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 378894 ft
United States

I recently started flying a DJI Mavic Pro and I'm super impressed - extremely easy to fly, great picture stability, lots of smart design decisions that make it a wonderful small platform.

Unfortunately, I am not that impressed with the DJI Go and DJI Go 4.0 apps: I am using those on Android on a Nexus 6P, and both apps tend to very easily crash. Typically, the Go 4.0 app systematically crashes if started in landscape mode, and both apps will always crash after a couple of minutes, even when making sure there are no other apps running in the background on the phone.

The usual symptom is that the video feed will start to freeze/degrade, and the phone will freeze entirely, until the app crashes. Fortunately, the controller still works fine so this has no impact on actually flying the platform, but this is nevertheless an annoyance.

Since I am very new to DJI, I have no idea what to expect in terms of track record when it comes to app stability - is the iOS version more stable? Shall I get an old iphone to connect to the controller rather than use my Android phone? Is it possible to use an iPod touch? At the end of the day, it's important to be able to really trust the controller when flying, "RTH" should only be a convenience, never a safety measure

Ed
2016-12-10
Use props
LukasBlecha
lvl.2
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

It was crashing couple of times to me today. Galaxy S7.
2016-12-10
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's never crashed on both my android phones, note 3 and note 5
2016-12-10
Use props
t-keeg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2629813 ft
United States

So far it has been rock solid on my Note-5.
2016-12-10
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same, note 5 and never had a problem.
2016-12-10
Use props
fans4d624e51
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nexus 6p, same problem that you describe. After a few minutes of flight, the video transmission starts to degrade and eventually causes the phone to become unresponsive. I attempted "Point of interest" flight and nearly lost the drone! When the video transmission started to degrade, the Mavic stopped tracking the point of interest object and went into the "Spiral of Death" and would not respond to the controller. After disconnecting the phone, I was able to initiate Return to home. I do not feel very confident flying with the app.
2016-12-10
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like it doesn't run very well on the Nexus phones.
2016-12-10
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Same problem on the nexus 5x
2016-12-10
Use props
elafargue
lvl.1
United States

So yeah, it definitely looks like the Nexus line somehow isn't ideal on that app. Ironic, since Nexus phones are kind of a reference Android implementation with no bells and whistles!

Just installed the app on a Note 5 to see if it makes any difference - nothing else is installed on that one, just the Go 4 App - , and it does indeed feel a lot more responsive than on the Nexus 6P from a UI standpoint. Unfortunately it's raining a lot where I am, so I can't do a proper flight test right now. If I get an opening, I will definitely do that and report. Is there an 'official' list of devices that are supported by DJI with their apps ?
2016-12-10
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not had any problems on Samsung S5
Might be worth trying a different cable from the large USB I aren't overly impressed with the ultra short one - though very neat it's fiddly to insert properly and seems a bit flimsy.
2016-12-10
Use props
A_Chemist
New

United States

I'm having the same problem with my Nexus 6p. What's messed up is that it is on the list of supported devices.
2016-12-11
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

With all of you having problems with the Nexus phones, what version of Android are you running on? I feel like I read that the newest version isn't playing well with the GO app.
2016-12-11
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

Disable cache on local from menù, It Will be more stable.

Btw... Really buggy. And the only answer is Always "not supported device" but i think it's only excuses.
2016-12-11
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Italy

Nexus are pure android... It should works better compared to other devices!
2016-12-11
Use props
bQleXaeZRC7p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49078 ft
United States

Working fine on my note 5
2016-12-11
Use props
bighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Mostly works for me but every other flight I'll see a slowdown in FPV then an app crash.
2016-12-11
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
Australia

flyingasd Posted at 2016-12-12 06:59
Disable cache on local from menù, It Will be more stable.

Btw... Really buggy. And the only answer is Always "not supported device" but i think it's only excuses.

I've stopped reporting issues through normal channels as the response is always "see the list of supported devices"... given that 80% of the list of android devices are no longer on sale, that's a cop out. Very poor.
2016-12-11
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm using an LG V 20 which runs on the newest os nougat. The first battery I went through,  the go 4 app worked well, no freezing or any other issues. The second battery I was flying a few minutes and the app shutdown. It still flew normal while this was going on. Getting another phone isn't an option so I hope dji figures out what's going on so any newer android phones work. I just upgraded the firmware yesterday on the Mavic but it was drizzling today so I didn't take it out today.
2016-12-11
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

I have been flying with the older GoPro app when I first got the drone and had been fine. I recently flew with the 4.0 app today and it crashed twice on me. Both times the app lost connection with my Galaxy S6 phone. The first time, it recovered on its own but the second time I got an Android notification that my app stopped working. I quickly restarted the app while my drone was still hovering. It did not initiate the return to home procedure even though I saved my Return to Home point.
2016-12-11
Use props
thebmallory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50466 ft
France

Lots of crashes with Google Pixel too. In fact it crashes if you do anything other than flying and recording video (ie: take a picture, POI mode, etc. ).
2016-12-12
Use props
fanse1dd4cd2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 270646 ft
United States

I have same problem with Moto G Play.
2016-12-12
Use props
jford
New

United States

I am really sorry to hear about the Moto g4 Play. That was one of the phones I was considering while I saved up to but the Mavic. After everything I have read and heard here and on Youtube, I think I will hold off on the Mavic for maybe a year or so. Perhaps DJI will get over their love affair with IOS and spend some time improving their Android app. I also hope that they will also consider modifying their remote so that it will accept something other than the super thin phones. My research shows that most of the budget priced Android phones are too thick to fit the remote. Not everyone has the money to pout into the newest and best phones out there.
2016-12-12
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Italy

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2016-12-11 23:09
I've stopped reporting issues through normal channels as the response is always "see the list of supported devices"... given that 80% of the list of android devices are no longer on sale, that's a cop out. Very poor.

A M E N, you're right!
2016-12-12
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Italy

Compatible with / Released
Samsung tabs 705c jun 2014
Samsung S6 mar 2015
Samsung S5 feb 2014
Samsung NOTE4 sep 2014
Samsung NOTE3 sep 2013
Google Nexus 6p nov 2015
Nexus 9 nov 2014
Google Nexus 7 II aug 2013
Ascend Mate7 sep 2014
Huawei P8 Max apr 2015
Huawei Mate 8 Jan 2016
LG V20 sep 2016
Nubia Z7 mini mar 2014
Sony Xperia Z3 sep 2014
MI 3 apr 2014
MI PAD mar 2015
Smartisan T1 dec 2014

the list is very short and some devices are very old.

"not supported" it is just an excuse, no recent phone is supported.

if this is the dji policy we should return to the phantom 1...
2016-12-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can't speak for version 4 or even the latest version of the original Go app, but I've used DJI Go with 5 or 6 different Android devices and never had issues with the app crashing. It's possible that DJI introduced instabilities in the latest versions though.
2016-12-12
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

Been rock solid here with my OnePlus 3. maybe try to bought app Litchi? seems to have some good reviews and suppose to have a lot more support...
2016-12-12
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Sad that it does not work better with the Nexus 6P, as it is pure, unaltered android, running on the most Android compatible phone made! Plus, the Nexus and Pixel phones are always running the latest version of Android. I could understand there being some bugs on a Samsung, or LG phone, but on an actual Google branded Nexus Android phone? The Nexus 6p or the Pixel XL should be what they are doing their primary testing on (as well as the iPhone 6 and 7).

However, the Mavic is very new, and DJI GO 4 is even newer... I am sure it will get better with each future release, which seems to be every couple weeks.

Crashing when starting up in landscape is a pretty glaring bug though... How do you miss that one in QA?

2016-12-12
Use props
elafargue
lvl.1
United States

After more time testing on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, I have had absolutely no crash on that one - stock Android, DJI Go 4 app pretty much the only one that is installed on that phone, rock solid so far. I have not done more tries on the N6P lately.
2016-12-22
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

elafargue Posted at 2016-12-23 02:44
After more time testing on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, I have had absolutely no crash on that one - stock Android, DJI Go 4 app pretty much the only one that is installed on that phone, rock solid so far. I have not done more tries on the N6P lately.

How are you running stock Android on a Samsung device? Is your phone rooted? Even if it was, I do not believe a stock Android image is available for Samsung devices. If you mean an unaltered OEM reset state on your Samsung device, that is not unaltered Android. Samsung modifies it with all of their Samsung specific bloatware, and then the Carrier adds bloatware of their own, and about a year after a new version of Android is released by Google, you may or may not be able to install it on a Samsung (or LG, or Motorola, or Sony).

The only way to have stock Android is to have a Nexus or Pixel phone.

But... I am glad that you are able to run DJI GO without issue on your device. Nice to know that there is a fully compatible device out there, as most are not.
2016-12-22
Use props
RWoerz
New
Flight distance : 15630 ft
United States

I've been flying a Mavic Pro for about a month with a LG V20. Twice now at the worst of times the DJI GO app just stops. The phone returns to the phones home screen like nothing was wrong. The last time it happened I tried restarting the app with some success but there is to much at sake to let the thing out of my $ight. Is this what other people are seeing?
2016-12-29
Use props
Jan0175
lvl.1

Indonesia

I use Samsung S7 Edge. No crashed app or anything else..works 100%
2016-12-29
Use props
Camolin
lvl.2
Germany

DJI GO 4 crashes on what it feels like 50% of my flights. Sometimes it crashes, I restart the app and it crashes again within 1 minute. It leaves a very unsafe feeling since one might be out of sight at some points...
This app needs dev focus badly.

I use an HTC A9.

2016-12-30
Use props
fans681ac1c1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550548 ft
France

Nvidia Skield K1 and DJI GO 4 > Freezes and crashes when you reach approximatively 200 m from home point...
2017-1-1
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Im now only usi g my old note 4 as it seems to be 100% reliable
2017-1-1
Use props
fans681ac1c1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550548 ft
France

Do we have to buy an old tablet to have DJI GO 4 working with no freeze or crash?... Many thanks to DJI to give us a clear answer!
2017-1-1
Use props
hijakd
lvl.1

Australia

s7 crashes and reboots on a p4,hope this will not be the case with the mavic or I will sell it immediately,i don't understand why they don't implement the software to the new phones before they sell the hardware to the public then get feed back and complaints,these are not toys,@ around 2k plus we shouldn't have to worry about app crashing simply stupid.
2017-1-1
Use props
colonel00
lvl.2

United States

Jan0175 Posted at 2016-12-29 20:27
I use Samsung S7 Edge. No crashed app or anything else..works 100%

Seems to be hit and miss with the S7 Edge.  I've had nothing but problems with mine.  It won't even connect right away as it does with my old Note 3.  With the Edge I have to start everything up (in the "correct" order) and it never connects to the app.  I then have to power down either the RC or the Mavic or both and eventually it connects.  After that, it works alright but I had a couple disconnects and crashes so I stopped using the Edge.  I'm lucky to have kept my Note 3 as it has a larger screen and works.  I would definitely be more upset if I were in the shoes of others that don't have an extra device to play with.
2017-1-1
Use props
puredata
lvl.2

United States

Even Shield is not supported.

That supported device list can use an update
2017-1-1
Use props
Dangerousdaveki
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Using a supported LG V20 and app crashed 4 times today during my one and only flight.  Was able to restart app, luckily the Mavic was only yards away.  Think I am going to try the older DJI Go app tomorrow.  The new DG4 app is to unstable....
2017-1-1
Use props
Daniel06GT
New
Flight distance : 232090 ft
United States

I'm having the exact same issues with my Nexus6P, i thought I was alone with this issue, I'd like to know if anyone from DJI is actually looking at this thread and attempting to do any fixes. Both DJI and DJI 4 app crash, and constantly. It makes flying the drone a nightmare, because you never know when it'll crash, and when you're trying to take some specific footage and it crashes you have to return to home, and try all over again, and it'll crash all over again. Very very frustrating.

Also I agree with everyone, these Nexus phones are pure android, no overlays no special OS, nothing. I'd expect these phones to have the best experience as all the "Note 5" users are describing.

So, yes please DJI can we look into this? Specially if it's one of your "supported" devices.
2017-1-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules