Tracking Device for UK
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frixster_75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45541 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all.
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone know of a GPS tracking device that actually works in the UK, and doesn't require a subscription (apart from topping up a SIM card)?

Don't want to buy one to find out it only brings up chinese maps or requires me to pay for someone to tell me where it is!

Thanks in advance.
2016-12-10
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

Look on Ebay. I got one a few years ago. It needs a SIM card (so also needs a mobile signal to work). You 'phone' it, and it returns with a text message of it's location. It was something like £25
2016-12-10
Use props
frixster_75
lvl.1
United Kingdom

richmars Posted at 2016-12-10 20:07
Look on Ebay. I got one a few years ago. It needs a SIM card (so also needs a mobile signal to work). You 'phone' it, and it returns with a text message of it's location. It was something like £25

Thanks. I've messaged a few sellers on Ebay to find out what type of SIM card and service provider they take as some only work on 2G and a limited number of providers such as EE, O2 etc.

Are they costly to operate by the way? Or is it just a text message cost?
2016-12-10
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

frixster_75 Posted at 2016-12-10 20:12
Thanks. I've messaged a few sellers on Ebay to find out what type of SIM card and service provider they take as some only work on 2G and a limited number of providers such as EE, O2 etc.

Are they costly to operate by the way? Or is it just a text message cost?

Yes, just a text message cost. I used an old pay as you go card from Tesco. I haven't used it on my Phantom, I got it to track riders in a mountain bike race.
2016-12-10
Use props
frixster_75
lvl.1
United Kingdom

richmars Posted at 2016-12-10 20:20
Yes, just a text message cost. I used an old pay as you go card from Tesco. I haven't used it on my Phantom, I got it to track riders in a mountain bike race.

OK, Thank you.
2016-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules