Are photos not really sharp with drones
1452 9 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
user0e3f95f523
New
United States

Newbie here:
I have a Mavic Pro.  I used the tap to focus.
I took a photo with a stable mavic (Not in motion)
But photos aren't crisp when i zoom in.
Is that just drone photography or am i missing something?

Sample:

IMG_1972.JPG
2016-12-10
Use props
jkvenuti64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88543 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zoom is not optical zoom..it is digitall zoom..therefore you will lose crsipness with digital zoom
2016-12-10
Use props
Phigment
New
United States

jkvenuti64 Posted at 2016-12-11 06:13
Zoom is not optical zoom..it is digitall zoom..therefore you will lose crsipness with digital zoom

I get that.   But if I take a picture with a SLR, Point and shoot , iPhone and then want to zoom into an area to crop it (post editing, not at time of capture), it's at least somewhat useable.

With the mavic it seems like it gets blurry really fast.
Maybe because by the nature of drone photography it's a much further distance???
I wasn't that far out though for the sample selfie that I attached.  
Is it because the drone isn't super still?
Maybe it's a combination of those things?

Or did I do something wrong?
2016-12-10
Use props
pj4T3VeJm9Vo
lvl.1
United States

Phigment Posted at 2016-12-10 18:11
I get that.   But if I take a picture with a SLR, Point and shoot , iPhone and then want to zoom into an area to crop it (post editing, not at time of capture), it's at least somewhat useable.

With the mavic it seems like it gets blurry really fast.

I noticed the same thing with my Mavic pics
2016-12-10
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

A few questions:
What was the shutter speed set at for that photo. Was there any magnification at the time of capture. Have you tried shooting in Raw. You could try opening the aperture up and the iso to speed up the shutter.
Decent image capture used to be about the quality of glass rather than the camera. With todays cameras handling a lot of the processing it seems incredible that such small devices can produce the quality that can be achieved today, but at the end of the day they are limited. However, I would expect the stills to be as good if not better than an average smart phone.
2016-12-10
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-10 23:23
A few questions:
What was the shutter speed set at for that photo. Was there any magnification at the time of capture. Have you tried shooting in Raw. You could try opening the aperture up and the iso to speed up the shutter.
Decent image capture used to be about the quality of glass rather than the camera. With todays cameras handling a lot of the processing it seems incredible that such small devices can produce the quality that can be achieved today, but at the end of the day they are limited. However, I would expect the stills to be as good if not better than an average smart phone.

You can't change the aperture on this camera, good points about needing reasonably fast shutter even if you need to increase ISO a little. In bright sunshine I wouldn't expect a problem all on auto though.
Obviously make sure the focus is on your main subject too.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Just as jkvenuti64 mentioned. Digitall zoom will reduces the resolution.
Do you have any problem with the original images?
2016-12-12
Use props
pllphoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8903051 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd shoot in RAW, fly as close as possible, and if needed, crop a little in an editing program.
2016-12-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

How far in are you zooming? I mean, are you taking the original image just a few feet from your subjects or 50 yards from the subject? Also, if you take a photo with your DSLR/phone from the same distance as you do with your Mavic and you zoom in (in post), do those images look better than the Mavic's. I am not criticizing. I am just wondering if you're comparing similar levels of zoom in post.
2016-12-12
Use props
FlyLowandSlow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3505518 ft
  • >>>
United States

focus is off
2016-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now