Hot camera
2017 18 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Caribou
lvl.2

France

Hello
After some minutes of use (p3s),  the camera is hot especially on its back!
Do observe such thing?
Is it normal?
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yes, it is perfectly normal. There is a lot of work going on in the camera. It stays pretty cool when it is in the air though.
2016-12-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

When on ground and I am ground checking with all switched on - I have a fan running blowing air over the camera and gimbal.

Nigel
2016-12-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's ok for the camera to get warm when it's stationary. Just to clarify, did you take off the foam gimbal protector from transit?
2016-12-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-11 09:32
It's ok for the camera to get warm when it's stationary. Just to clarify, did you take off the foam gimbal protector from transit?

Sorry but I disagree ... heat is the enemy of SD cards and boards ...

The heat build up that I observed on my camera and gimbal certainly did not make me feel inclined to allow it to continue. It may be OK for some - but for me not.

Second - the Foam Insert is NOT on all models ... the Standard usually is not fitted with that Foam insert. I was confused about this when I first got my P3S thinking it had been missed by factory - but then found out its not fitted anyway ... only on other models.

Nigel
2016-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The Phantom 3 Pro gimbal has a heat sinc on top, that helps dissipate any build up of heat in the core...
If using the flight SIM, I have a double fan that can be tilted up, and I set the drone on one side of that, & it works great.

Never have a heat problem with my Phantom 3 Pro.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-11 13:16
Sorry but I disagree ... heat is the enemy of SD cards and boards ...

The heat build up that I observed on my camera and gimbal certainly did not make me feel inclined to allow it to continue. It may be OK for some - but for me not.

There is a difference between a little warm and extreme overheating. If you feel that the gimbal is extremely overheating, then you may want to send the unit in to DJI for further evaluation.
2016-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-10 23:47
There is a difference between a little warm and extreme overheating. If you feel that the gimbal is extremely overheating, then you may want to send the unit in to DJI for further evaluation.

Something I appreciate that the Go app tells us is the ongoing battery temperature. Which can be a great guide to follow and I suggest others to use that as a way of understanding how the battery warms and gets hotter through normal use. What some may think is too hot, may be completely normal for our Phantoms intelligent flight battery's.
Check it frequently during flights, then make comparison to those figures while using the flight SIM.
If you see the temperature rising too fast, or getting beyond safe operating temp, then shut it down, or place it on top of a fan while it's operating... Respect the numbers, but be aware of normal use heat buildup as well. ;-)
The gimbal heat is similar, it is supposed to get warm through use. If yours is overheating, yes, send it in for proper evaluation. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-12-10
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I was confused about all of this talk about gimbals getting really hot. I haven't noticed any noticeable heat from my P3S. But I have been flying lately in 15°F weather anyway. Maybe I should fire it up in the house and put a IR temperature probe on it and see what happens. What temperature readings are the rest of you getting?
2016-12-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I have an RC thermometer temperature gun for my hpi nitro burning monster Charger RT that I could use to check my gimbal heat.
I will probably check mine, & do that tomorrow, as the startup trumpet is too loud, at this late hour.
We can do some comparisons amongst ourselves.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-11 13:53
The Phantom 3 Pro gimbal has a heat sinc on top, that helps dissipate any build up of heat in the core...
If using the flight SIM, I have a double fan that can be tilted up, and I set the drone on one side of that, & it works great.

You are still using a fan ... which is good.

Nigel
2016-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-11 14:47

Sorry but many posts indicate hot ... not warm. So I do not think mine is any diferent.

I can put my hand on it - its not burning hot, but my own view is that it is not good even at that ...

I prefer as others do - put a fan on it.

Finally from Latvia - the DJI service would be too long unless absolutely necessary.

nigel
2016-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-11 15:07
I was confused about all of this talk about gimbals getting really hot. I haven't noticed any noticeable heat from my P3S. But I have been flying lately in 15°F weather anyway. Maybe I should fire it up in the house and put a IR temperature probe on it and see what happens. What temperature readings are the rest of you getting?

Yes ... fire it up and leave standing while you play the sim etc. After a few minutes you will find the gimbal and camera temp rising quite high.

I also have an IR thermometer but am not really inclined to want to not use a fan to see how high the temp goes. Having noted it on first day - that was enough for me.

Nigel
2016-12-11
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

It is 73°F in this room. Phantom was in room that was 63°F when I pulled it out.

10 min: 104°F Left back of camera - 90°F Front pivot point of camera
15 min: 114°F Left back of camera - 93°F Front pivot point of camera
20 min: 118°F Left back of camera - 97°F Front pivot point of camera
25 min: 120°F Left back of camera - 97°F Front pivot point of camera
30 min: 124°F Left back of camera - 100°F Front pivot point of camera
35 min: 126°F Left back of camera - 101°F Front pivot point of camera
40 min: 126°F Left back of camera - 101°F Front pivot point of camera
45 min: 126°F Left back of camera - 101°F Front pivot point of camera
60 min: 126°F Left back of camera - 101°F Front pivot point of camera

Well having been involve with electronic engineering since the 70's, I don't see anything to be concern with. Those temperatures are nothing compared to most modern computer processors. And RAM chips often run higher than that. I am guessing if this room was say 95°F. I would expect the highest temp would be close to 150°F. But even then I don't think it would be a problem.
2016-12-11
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Oh the battery warmed up to 88°F (31°C) according to the App. All of my readings were taken from my P3S.
2016-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Most PC's including Notebooks have fans of some description or heatsinks ....

I respect Bills figures and knowledge of electronics.

I just don't like the idea of hot camera ... it was a surprise to me when I felt how hot it got. Use of a fan can only be good - costs nothing to do and peace of mind.

Nigel
2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-11 07:00
It is 73°F in this room. Phantom was in room that was 63°F when I pulled it out.

10 min: 104°F Left back of camera - 90°F Front pivot point of camera

Yes, that sounds about right. Nothing unusual to report, as these temperatures are pretty average for our equipment.

If there was a real problem, many others would have already been mentioning it, but they aren't. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just carry on as per normal, and enjoy your drone... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-11 01:57
You are still using a fan ... which is good.

Nigel

Still? Yes, been doing the fan cooler, for ever.. Just seemed like a great way to keep my gimbal and installed battery a little less heat stressed, while tinkering, or during firmware updates. Not to mention flying the onboard flight SIM. ;-)

If you want to read a funny book: The Fan Man written by William Koztwinkle. Hilarious read...
His Dr.Rat is a winner too. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

That is the point - why stress an item if its easy to just switch on a fan and keep it cool.

Look at todays equipment with chips in, just a few examples :

Digital amplifiers - mine have fans
PC Desktops - mine have fans
PC Notebooks - mine have fans
Battery chargers - mine have fans

So many items today have 'chips' in and are fitted with fans ...

Nigel
2016-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules