Crossing Country borders with a Phantom
1998 19 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 464531 ft
Thailand

I am planning to fly over Mekong river tomorrow. It divides Thailand from Laos and technically it would be feasible to fly from one side to the other. Anyway, even not flying to the other side could be theorically interpreted as border crossing.since it should be located somewhere in the middle of this huge river. I wonder if dji go app is designed to give warnings about border crossing. I am afraid the border could be interpreted as "no fly zone" determining an unwanted auto-landing in the river.
Did someone fly between two Countries? Any issues?
Too paranoid? Maybe, but asking does't cost anything. Too satisfied about the footage aquired in SE Asia to end the experiece with a dive in the Mekong.
2016-12-10
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

I have not had any experience with that, but i would assume if you got a warning it would either stop and hover at the border or return home. I think thats what I read happens when you get too close to airports and stuff.
2016-12-10
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Thailand

Indeed, I heard about several episodes of phantom descending themselves once they've entered in a no fly zone. Some of them are visible on YouTube.
2016-12-11
Use props
Dflum
lvl.1

United States

I live right on the Border of Canada and the USA. I was wondering the same thing. Has anymore information been researched on this yet?
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have never heard of anything about borders. It would be near impossible to set up a No Fly Zone at a border, it wouild require a special form of programming to make it work. My guess is that there is nothing to stop you crossing borders. It would be a simple thing to test though.

PS to the Op, you might want to edit the thread title and correct the embarrassing spelling of 'country'.

2016-12-13
Use props
Dflum
lvl.1

United States

I feel it may be a risk. In my case, I am located at the busiest crossing on the Northern border of the United states where it connects Canada and The state of Michigan. I feel that the US border patrol would be all over looking for someone or atleast have some sort of ban on it here in the US. Not sure though.
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dflum Posted at 2016-12-14 09:20
I feel it may be a risk. In my case, I am located at the busiest crossing on the Northern border of the United states where it connects Canada and The state of Michigan. I feel that the US border patrol would be all over looking for someone or atleast have some sort of ban on it here in the US. Not sure though.

Good, then you can be the one to try a crossing and report back here with the results. But if it eases your mind, there has NEVER been any mention of border crossing prevention in any material published by DJI, and if they had programmed it, it would be mentioned.

Here is another. I heard that Phantoms will not fly over public toilets to prevent perverts from filming people with their knickers down. All public toilets have been programmed as NFZs.

2016-12-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-13 22:32
Good, then you can be the one to try a crossing and report back here with the results. But if it eases your mind, there has NEVER been any mention of border crossing prevention in any material published by DJI, and if they had programmed it, it would be mentioned.

Here is another. I heard that Phantoms will not fly over public toilets to prevent perverts from filming people with their knickers down. All public toilets have been programmed as NFZs.

"All public toilets have been programmed as NFZs. "

I do hope you mean 'No Fly Zone'
2016-12-13
Use props
eM-Burr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92 ft
Canada

Dflum Posted at 2016-12-13 17:20

I am on the other side of that border from you. I have been wondering the same thing. I have seen some flight that get close to the line but not gone over it. I am sure the UAV wont stop at the line but I am sure they have "ways" and much better drones then ours keep tabs on it.
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

eM-Burr Posted at 2016-12-14 09:46
I am on the other side of that border from you. I have been wondering the same thing. I have seen some flight that get close to the line but not gone over it. I am sure the UAV wont stop at the line but I am sure they have "ways" and much better drones then ours keep tabs on it.

'but I am sure they have "ways" and much better drones then ours keep tabs on it.'

The vast mojority of that is conjecture. If they could not stop someone landing one on the front lawn of the White House, what makes you think they have them at remote borders?
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-14 09:45
"All public toilets have been programmed as NFZs. "

I do hope you mean 'No Fly Zone'

Yes, that too....
2016-12-13
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Thailand

Ooppsss... I just realized the embarassing title of the thread
Sorry, but it is not easy to write with a phone. The truth is that I just forgot a wovel, even if someone may easily tease me about the fact I was thinking about something that has nothing to do with drones.
Btw, I am back here to give a short update. My phantom flew over the Mekong. I have checked the map and the phantom flew on both countries. No issues at all and no warnings of any kind. Footprint on Dji go app, however, included only the Country where the flight begun.
2016-12-14
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Cool - did you have any trouble bringing it into the country? Which one was it - Thailand?
2016-12-14
Use props
Dflum
lvl.1

United States

eM-Burr Posted at 2016-12-13 17:46

See that's what I was thinking. I've seen drone photos of the ambassador bridge and that's technically right on the border. I feel like if I were to try Border Patrol would have me pinned down in seconds with the way they respond to border security issues.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I don't believe that there are no fly zones in the Go app around country boarders, necessarily, but you can check in the following link to see if there are any that could affect you: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map
2016-12-14
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Thailand

No issues at all. It took off in Thailand and landed in the same place. It was an easy smooth flight.
2016-12-15
Use props
Dflum
lvl.1

United States

Silvestrone, was there any type of Border security around the area you were flying in??
2016-12-15
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Thailand

Not in the Thai side, not sure in Laotian side. There was a spalla building looking like a barrack. Btw, relations between two countries are excellent.  If There was someone in the barrack they would probably sleep or playing catds. I would not do a similar attempt in Mekong near the cambodian border.
2016-12-17
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Thailand

spalla = small
This phone constantly keeps correcting my english, which is already messo itself.
2016-12-17
Use props
Dflum
lvl.1

United States

Well I live in the US and border security is very tight where I am near the Canadian/US border in Michigan. I don't think I should attempt it but I would love too lol
2016-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules