Above Philly Over the clouds
2129 31 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6de52746
lvl.2
Flight distance : 420062 ft
United States

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
2016-12-11
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Cool stuff.
2016-12-11
Use props
Skelator
lvl.2
United States

Thank you!
2016-12-11
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Awesome   Did you encounter any high wind or thermal updraft.
2016-12-11
Use props
creep
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6072713 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Why shake at the end of the video?
2016-12-11
Use props
Skelator
lvl.2
United States

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-11 04:15
Awesome   Did you encounter any high wind or thermal updraft.

According to the pilot
on the descent there was a fair amount of wind which we think is the reason for the shaking.
2016-12-11
Use props
Skelator
lvl.2
United States

creep Posted at 2016-12-11 04:19
Why shake at the end of the video?

according to the pilot of this drone

Yea high wind/ turbulance during the descent
2016-12-11
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Surely doing that is not Kosher? Doing that in my part of the world is highly illegal and in breach of numeorus rules - apart from being a stupid thing to do.
2016-12-11
Use props
MΔRK!!!
lvl.1

United States

Great view is this color graded?
2016-12-11
Use props
Talonn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow! I hate to be the police here but this is very irresponsible flying! Per Faa regulations, " The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure." Please do yourself and all of us who enjoy flying SAFELY and in accordance with FAA regulations a favor and familiarize yourself with these regulations before taking to the skies again. https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=20516
P. S. You might want to remove your video from YouTube/ this site, it could serves as irrefutable evidence against you.

2016-12-11
Use props
Camolin
lvl.2
Germany

cool view but idiotic behaviour and evidence for all that demand more regulations.
2016-12-11
Use props
Joe_cos
lvl.1

United States

Its actions like yours that made the FAA but all the  rules in place.  
2016-12-11
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

It's dumbasses like you who prompt more regulations.

Do us a favor and crash your drone into a wall.
2016-12-11
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Nice video! need to slow the pans a little...
2016-12-11
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 881598 ft
United States

I'm not trying to be the "Drone police" but People like this are going to get drones banned. The only attention your video will getting will be from the Feds! Best advice I can give is, delete the video and keep your drone under 400ft AGL,also read up on the drone regulations.
2016-12-11
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Isn't there a large airport nearby? Is your Mavic registered with the FAA? You should delete it, there are drone police out there looking for videos just like this to forward to the FAA. Stay safe, and stay below 400.
2016-12-11
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Looks like you left the bubble on...
2016-12-11
Use props
MadMonkey
lvl.2

United States

Nice video. DUMB flying! Please take this video down.
2016-12-11
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Very nice job of publicising the danger of drones in the general publics hands. Thanks.
2016-12-11
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Agreed. The poster of this video is an idiot.
2016-12-11
Use props
ChaneRZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171043 ft
United States

But it look so cool....NOT... You see my avatar? I'll take down your illegal drone.
2016-12-11
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Hmm... Offers to shoot drones out of the sky with handguns.

I'm personally an extreme rule follower and safety-first guy (anyone else geo-fenced a Breeze to 150 ft?) but the sanctimony here is impressive.

Points and counter-points made already.  Time to chill, maybe?
2016-12-11
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2016-12-11 14:26
Hmm... Offers to shoot drones out of the sky with handguns.

I'm personally an extreme rule follower and safety-first guy (anyone else geo-fenced a Breeze to 150 ft?) but the sanctimony here is impressive.

Who said anything about shooting down drones in this thread?

If this guy flew from a mountain and only went up 400 more feet as defaulted by DJI then he is in regulation, but listing the altitude at what he did tells us he altered the max height going against FAA regulations. They are going after people that post these videos on YouTube and he could get fined. It also leads to the potential of more regulations and may end up where we will all need pilots license to even fly. DJI might have to restrict the ability to even change that value in future updates which would suck for certain areas where going higher than 400 feet is acceptable. People like this are getting this kind of a response because they are the reasons for increased regulations which affect us all.
2016-12-11
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

See above.  Then look agin if you missed.  If you still missed phone a friend.  There are ways to make points and ways not to make them.
2016-12-11
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2016-12-11 14:46
See above.  Then look agin if you missed.  If you still missed phone a friend.  There are ways to make points and ways not to make them.

I read through that post too fast and didn't make the connection, was just scanning for the word shoot. That response is just as dumb and actually more illegal to do than flying above the limits.
2016-12-11
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Skelator: I see in another thread the Mavic's wasted (battery in pool of mud etc..)? How come it looked messed-up out of the box? Your crash could have been caused by about 372.951 things wrong with the mavic already, another reason could be the feds off course. They see your vid and decide to find you and take the drone down with one of them drone-guns. Or it was the cursed thermal winds.
2016-12-11
Use props
Skelator
lvl.2
United States

MacIak Posted at 2016-12-11 14:57
Skelator: I see in another thread the Mavic's wasted (battery in pool of mud etc..)? How come it looked messed-up out of the box? Your crash could have been caused by about 372.951 things wrong with the mavic already, another reason could be the feds off course. They see your vid and decide to find you and take the drone down with one of them drone-guns. Or it was the cursed thermal winds.

The drone was in the middle of nowhere when it went down. In a magnetic interference area. Not sure why or how But it went nuts and flew itself into the wires. My Mavic was not responsible for this high altitude footage over Philadelphia. I was too worried about the thing acting up at 30ft i would have been terrified of dropping my own from 1/4 mile in the air.

As for all the other comments i'm sorry if this video adds fuel to the FAA drone fires. I am in no way shape or form trying to be any more restricted that we already are with these.  I would have not taken my own to this altitude due to the fact of how unstable it was most of the time. This video was given to me after it was found out that i had just got the same drone. The sole purpose of my drone is to film drag racing videos! I run www.PhillyStreetRaceTeam.com and we are the media for the Philadelphia local street racing and car scene. I only have other footage from me trying to learn how to operate this thing.  

I would like to thank everyone because i was completely unaware of the majority of restrictions surrounding these things. I mean common sense says to stay away from high traffic areas, airports, landmarks, etc etc. But exact altitude and quite a few others were completely unknown to me. So thank you all for that! I will read up on everything the FAA has about drones so that i will be perfectly fine when I get my own drone back.
2016-12-11
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Skelator Posted at 2016-12-11 16:36
The drone was in the middle of nowhere when it went down. In a magnetic interference area. Not sure why or how But it went nuts and fly itself into the wires. My Mavic was not responsible for this high altitude footage over Philadelphia. I was too worried about the thing acting up at 30ft i would have been terrified of dropping my own from 1/4 mile in the air.

As for all the other comments i'm sorry if this video adds fuel to the FAA drone fires. I am in no way shape or form trying to be any more restricted that we already are with these.  I would have not taken my own to this altitude due to the fact of how unstable it was most of the time. This video was given to me after it was found out that i had just got the same drone. The sole purpose of my drone is to film drag racing videos! I run www.PhillyStreetRaceTeam.com and we are the media for the Philadelphia local street racing and car scene. I only have other footage from me trying to learn how to operate this thing.  

Thanks for updating your original post with that info.

Also you are required to register with the FAA if you have not done so already,guessing you haven't if you don't know what the regulations are. It's just $5 but ties you as a pilot to your drones in case of any incident.
2016-12-11
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

...i'm sorry if this video adds fuel to the FAA drone fires. I am in no way shape or form trying to be any more restricted that we already are with these.

Skelator your concerns need to be driven by common sense and public safety and not a fear of increased drone restrictions or fear of regulations. I was going to ask in my first post what risk mitigation strategies you our (or your assosociate) had taken prior to making this flight!  I suspect none. Seems a bit of editing of posts and back pedalling going on in regard to how the video came into your hands and this is understandable.
Please considered that by posting an intersting video acquired dangerously, clearly putting others at risk, may inspire others to carry out a similar flight!  My preference woud be that DJI delete these sort of videos from their site. I am surprised that they have not. 99 people could say "nice video, but stupid and dangerously acquired", but you only need 1 Di&%$ead doing something similar to cause a serious accident. You could even remove it from your own site if you consider safety more imporatant than web site hits!

Then again we have very different backgrounds.  You are promoting a Streetracing website,  while I fly an aeroplane around in that airspace with 300 people in the back!

2016-12-11
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Your original post inferred this footage to be your own. After receiving criticism and warning you of potential prosecution you have altered the original post for fairly obvious reasons. Whether this is your footage or not, ignorance of the law is no excuse of the law. Do your homework, learn from this "mistake" and for the sake of the hobby please don't promote this behaviour, whether it's cool or not.
Your website is still promoting this footage from your Facebook "friend" with the following description:
"Took the drone to an altitude of 1640ft above the city of Philadelphia. I only had a very small window of time due to the fact we have an international airport nearby and there are flight paths everywhere.. I Filmed this using the Mavic pro drone at 4k 30fps."
2016-12-11
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

The tallest building in Philly is the Comcast Center at 973 feet tall.  From this video, your (friend's) drone was well above that altitude, probably greater than 1500 feet.  Since it was also in the clouds, there was no VLOS.  Based on triangulation using Google maps and the final downward shot, I can tell that you are in the area of Broad St. and Tasker Ave.  That location is within 5 miles of Philly Intl airport.  With a little more video interpretation, I should be able to pinpoint the address.

Oh and BTW, street racing is also illegal in Philly.   Unfortunately, brains do not come as an accessory with your Mavic.
2016-12-11
Use props
Vmax
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318 ft
Hong Kong

Sure there is regular helicopter traffic over the city. Such altitude is a potential killer for any helicopter. Extremely irresponsible.
2016-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules