Restricted airspace
2442 8 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peterg4
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The DJI skysafe geofencing map says that to fly at my location of choice this morning is just outside an enhanced warning zone, since it is 8.37km away from the local airport. It is, however within the CTR1 cat D airspace of said airport, from surface to 3500'

Safety is paramount, so I contacted the tower and was granted permission to execute my planned flight. no problems with that so i pop the drone up.

I could fly it manually (wi-fi mode) without any issue, but when i set it to active track, it would disengage, complain about restricted airspace and on one attempt, it even dropped altitude to about 6'.

is the mavic misreading the DJI flysafe map:    http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map
....or is it looking at an air chart:   https://skyvector.com/

What's occurring please?

2016-12-11
Use props
Joe_cos
lvl.1

United States

When I fly mine it tells me there is a unpaved runway nearby, I am a pilot and have never seen an unpaved runway b sight or on the charts. The one open field here may have been a runway over 20 years ago but it has not ben in use for at least the past 15 years.  So I am not sure where they are getting the data
2016-12-11
Use props
Peterg4
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Does your mystery runway show on either an air chart or the dji link in my OP?
2016-12-11
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Joe_cos Posted at 2016-12-11 09:08
When I fly mine it tells me there is a unpaved runway nearby, I am a pilot and have never seen an unpaved runway b sight or on the charts. The one open field here may have been a runway over 20 years ago but it has not ben in use for at least the past 15 years.  So I am not sure where they are getting the data

Joe, most civilians call the "unpaved runway" a highway. Only DJI thinks it's a runway. LOL
2016-12-11
Use props
Joe_cos
lvl.1

United States

Peterg4 Posted at 2016-12-11 10:12
Does your mystery runway show on either an air chart or the dji link in my OP?

No not on any sectional charts  
I am guessing it is an old runway that was never removed from the data base DJI is using
2016-12-11
Use props
Peterg4
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Is it on the dji flysafe map though?
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

fschilder Posted at 2016-12-11 14:03
Joe, most civilians call the "unpaved runway" a highway. Only DJI thinks it's a runway. LOL

If you see any errors, you can email FlySafe@dji.com with the GPS coordinates.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you post a screenshot of where your flying, both from the app with the warning and a computer screenshot from the FlySafe page of your area.
2016-12-12
Use props
Peterg4
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for your interest Ken, I hope this is as you requested.

screenshot from flysafe. for reference, this is approx 50km East of London, UK.
Warrnings received at X, not received where ticked.

both locations are restricted in the lozenge shaped surface-to-3500' airspace from the airport as seen here

Screenshot_20161213-170800.png
dji-ken.PNG
airchart - essex.PNG
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules