What model P3 do you have?
2016-12-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

All models can fly over water ....

The Advanced and Pro boys usually recc'd switching OFF the VOS that looks down ... if its a Standard model - just go for it.

Flying over water is no different to over land basically - just a little more nerve-wracking first few times.

Nigel
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You just need to be careful when flying above water, especially when dealing with units that have VPS sensors. Anything with VPS should have that function off when flying over reflective surfaces in general.
2016-12-11
Use props
marinark
lvl.1

United Kingdom

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2016-12-11 23:42
What model P3 do you have?

I am using a phantom 3 Advanced
2016-12-12
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

marinark Posted at 2016-12-12 17:10
I am using a phantom 3 Advanced

If you are going to fly close to the surface of the water (less than 12-15 feet) be sure to turn off the VPS. There are some folks who are risk takers and like to see if they can make there P3 water ski (or so it seems) but I find no reason to fly within inches of anything! Some of the best footage and pics you will get will be over water!
2016-12-13
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

It's unnerving the first few flights for me over a lake. I knew that if it some how crashed, my $800 drone is gone. I'm not going after it. A stream...maybe. A deep body of water. No. But then I realize, when does this thing ever crash? I've never had it crash except when I was stupid and flew it by a bunch of trees. Out on a lake, it's wide open. I have really no concerns unless I plunge it into the water myself. Otherwise, if I do proper calibration, the changes of it dropping out of the skies is minuscule. Too small of a percentage for me to worry about. If you're super worried about water, I've seen on Youtube a few people that cut out sections of pool noodles and attach it to the landing gear. Seems to work although it'll get in the way of your camera.
2016-12-14
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Flying over the water can make the most simple landscape look beautiful. I love it.

2017-1-9
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9850387 ft
Canada

Start with flying over frozen water first hehehe
Seriously though, one of my favourite things to do is chase boats and seadoos on the water.
Like the others have said little nerve wracking the first few times, but be calm and you will gain confidence.
Make sure you can handle it in a big wide open area first, with and without satellite signals then go for it, you only live once and if we never take risks might as well be an egg in a carton
2017-1-9
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

I actually think the other way. If the worst happens and she goes down over water at least nobody gets hurt. Yes I'll lose my phantom and be miserable for a year while saving for a new one but i think I'd rather that than have it come down on land and hurt somebody or worse.

2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules