Video processing workflow
1820 5 2016-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sinandgrin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 98048 ft
United States

I am both new to the Mavic and the DJI family and was wondering if a more seasoned users could shed some insight into how they work with and process videos taken with their drones.

I am mostly interested in how to best extract video taken with the Mavic to my desktop computer. For example should I be in the habit of removing the SD card and inserting that into my computer to download the raw videos or are there benefits or is it easier to extract the videos using the DJI GO or DJI GO 4 iOS app.  

I am trying to understand how these apps work and after a few flights I'm noticing that videos are already in the app but not the "original version ".  It seems I need to download the full video into the app from the drone to have it be the original version which I've been thinking is the full version and best version to work with on my desktop,  is that correct? I do notice that when I save this original version to my iPhone's photo library that it creates two video files though which seems to be a .mov and .mp4 video.  Not sure if I should be working with one or the other of these two files.

Thanks for any input the community can offer here.

2016-12-12
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your phone saves cached video files from your flights at a lower resolution. The full res videos are on the SD card. You can hook a microUSB straight into the drone and download them that way or pull the card out and use an adapter to plug it directly into your computer. The adapter would be the fastest transfer rate but if you don't have one then just plug the drone into your computer.
2016-12-12
Use props
kari5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3448 ft
Finland

Im new om drones and video edit too, but this is where i am now:
Download all videos/pics to one folder on com, and leave those there.
Davinci Resolve open and edit videoclips there for small movies
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Found some cool tutorials and even free effects and sound thru Youtube tutorials.
2016-12-12
Use props
Sinandgrin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 98048 ft
United States

Thanks for the feedback all. Do you know if there is a way to turn off the auto downloading of the cached videos to you phone? Even these smaller videos are starting to eat up my iPhone's storage and the iCloud storage that backups up the DJI GO 4 App.
2016-12-12
Use props
kari5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3448 ft
Finland

There was setting to overwrite cached videos when needed, dont ask me where, but it is in DJI GO 4 app somewhere
2016-12-13
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sinandgrin Posted at 2016-12-12 19:55
Thanks for the feedback all. Do you know if there is a way to turn off the auto downloading of the cached videos to you phone? Even these smaller videos are starting to eat up my iPhone's storage and the iCloud storage that backups up the DJI GO 4 App.

Not sure how the iOS app is but I imagine it's similar. It's in the general settings tab of the craft. You can shut it off, change the amount of space it will use, etc.
Screenshot_20161213-053035.png
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules