Mavic auto crashed into a wall / controls unresponsive
995 2 2016-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3c503773
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17927 ft
Canada

Greetings fellow flyers. I'd like to share a story and hear from you, see if I did something wrong and hear your solutions

I got my brand new MAvic Pro about 2 weeks ago. I flew it a few times and had a lot of fun. It was very stable and responsive. Everything was fine

This morning, I decided to go fly it after a big snowstorm. Get some videos. There was no more snow and no wind. Clear sky. I went to the port where there are no obstacles anywhere. Before takeoff, I started getting messages about magnetic interference. I was in the middle of a part, by the water. The message would come and go, but I manage to make the drone take off. It was acting weird though, slightly drifting to the right, and the magnetic interference kept coming back, so I landed the drone and went elsewhere.

I went to another park, again along the waterfront. This time, the drone refused tot take off. THe link between the controller and the drone would constantly sever, even it the controller was touching the drone. A message of magnetic interference appeared again. The app suggested I do a clibration, and I did. I had calibrated my Inspire a bunch of times, so it was nothing new. Regardless, I decided to take the drone to a place I had been before that had no issues at all.

This place is a water bassin, by the water again, but its more for water overflow than for boats. It's mostly empty, about a foot or 2 of water and concrete. Again, I got a magnetic interference message. It also suggested that the firware needed to be updated, even though I had done so 2 days prior. I updated it on the spot. Things went fine after that, I managed to make the drone take off, and I flew it for a few minutes, but the magnetic interference message came back up again. I got concerned, so I tried to land the drone. Sadly, it lost connection with the controller again. I discovered at that moment that it seems the home point is reset whenever the magnetic interference message appears, so that it automatically went to a spot where it recorded no interference, specifically over the water. I managed to get a connection back as the drone was barely 3 feet above the water in its final landing sequence, and managed to fly it back up. I was gonna have it land in the vast spaces of snow around me and forget about having it land neatly on the clean concrete patch I had set up for takeoff.

At this moment, however, as it was barely 6 feet away from me and descending to the ground, the controller lost the connection again. However, instead of simply rising up and headed back to whatever homepoint it had created, it just accelerated to top speed while rising up, and proceeded to crash at full force into a concrete wall.

The camera is detached from the drone now but is still connected. I haven't really messed with it as I'm afraid to damage it further, and I'm planning to take it to a DJI center close by tomorrow for repairs.

So here's my questions:
- What can cause so many magnetic interferences, especially in places where no such interferecnes were recorded before?
- Why did the drone go all suicidal instead of going back to its home point when it lost conneciton?
- Why did the frontal camera that is supposed to prevent a crash not work? (it wasn't in sport more)
- Any idea of what I did wrong or should have done differently?
2016-12-14
Use props
Beninspain
lvl.2

Spain

Ouch!. Did you film this event?
2016-12-14
Use props
fans3c503773
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17927 ft
Canada

No I didn't. Camera wasn't running at that time. I shut everything down when I decided to land and stop for the day. A few moments later, things went crazy.
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules