Need my Phantom 4 Pro replaced after 3 flights....
1480 16 2016-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaceX80
lvl.2
Flight distance : 458599 ft
Ireland

Ive been flying a Phantom 3 Pro for nearly 2 years without any kind of accident, I decided to upgrade to the P4P a few weeks ago and yesterday it arrived.
I had work to do so decided to use the P4P and it went fantastic, the UAV performed beautifully. However, I went home and took it out to show it off to the family and while it was holding position hovering 17 meters up, it completely died and fell to the ground. It was only its third flight
No warning, not a sign of any issues. Just died and fell onto the concrete landing belly up.
I have lots of experience with operating these UAV's but ive never had a single problem until yesterday. I have emailed DJI's support and supplied the proof of purchase etc, but given the stories I hear about DJI I am a bit nervous over how they will be to deal with. Has anybody else had this happen??

2016-12-15
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

If the logs confirm your story then I'm sure they will replace it without issue, and probably without explaining what the fault was.

Might be interesting if you uploaded your log to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and post a link so we can see what happened.
2016-12-15
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Check your voltage in the logs for all 4 Cells in the Battery, should to see a drop below 3.00v then i'm sure DJI will replace it without any problems.
But also, maybe a short- circuit or something similar happened. How was outside Temperature etc?
2016-12-15
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-12-15 13:25
Check your voltage in the logs for all 4 Cells in the Battery, should to see a drop below 3.00v then i'm sure DJI will replace it without any problems.
But also, maybe a short- circuit or something similar happened. How was outside Temperature etc?

Temperature was fine, was all updated and calibrated.I have battery info shortcutted to the back of the controller and the voltages were all normal. I tried turn the UAV back on but there was a crackling inside and smoke started coming out so i turned it straight off. Interestingly, the battery took a beating but was still on after the impact with the ground.
2016-12-15
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-12-15 13:13
If the logs confirm your story then I'm sure they will replace it without issue, and probably without explaining what the fault was.

Might be interesting if you uploaded your log to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and post a link so we can see what happened.

Can i recover the log without turning the P4P on??
2016-12-15
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DaceX80 Posted at 2016-12-15 13:33
Can i recover the log without turning the P4P on??

There should be some logs in your phone/tablet that you can upload to phantom help, which may tell us what the problem is.

The logs in the aircraft can't easily be accessed without powering the aircraft so that will have to be sent in to DJI for analysis and repair, or analysis and scrap!
2016-12-15
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-12-15 13:47
There should be some logs in your phone/tablet that you can upload to phantom help, which may tell us what the problem is.

The logs in the aircraft can't easily be accessed without powering the aircraft so that will have to be sent in to DJI for analysis and repair, or analysis and scrap!

I exported the flightlog from the app (its on an ipad mini 2, not the most straightforward process), it only came out as a .csv so saved it as .txt for phantom help but its not working. What I can tell you is the flight record that the app is showing me confirms what i said. Unfortunately it cuts out at 37 seconds with the drone at 17 meters.
2016-12-15
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

**UPDATE**

I managed to get the flightlog on to Phantom Help. All 4 cells were over 4v at the time the log stopped. Thanks to those who suggested looking at the flightlog on phantom help, its put my mind at ease that DJI will replace the UAV.

2016-12-15
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I don't see any indication of a fault in that, other than the log instantly stopping in mid air.  DJI may be able to decode more information out of it, and certainly the logs from the aircraft will either show more information or show that it didn't shut down properly.  I expect you will receive a replacement after sending it in for analysis without any difficulties.

Did it actually land upside down, or flip over after impact?   Normally they land the right way up so it was probably more than just loss of power that caused the problem.
2016-12-15
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-12-15 15:28
I don't see any indication of a fault in that, other than the log instantly stopping in mid air.  DJI may be able to decode more information out of it, and certainly the logs from the aircraft will either show more information or show that it didn't shut down properly.  I expect you will receive a replacement after sending it in for analysis without any difficulties.

Did it actually land upside down, or flip over after impact?   Normally they land the right way up so it was probably more than just loss of power that caused the problem.

It lost all power instantly. Lights went off all at once and it dropped. As it fell it turned and landed near enough perfectly on its back. The camera detached but nothing else. The battery was knocked loose but it wasn't ejected and it was still powered on.
2016-12-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DaceX80 Posted at 2016-12-15 15:33
It lost all power instantly. Lights went off all at once and it dropped. As it fell it turned and landed near enough perfectly on its back. The camera detached but nothing else. The battery was knocked loose but it wasn't ejected and it was still powered on.

Would the battery have been loose, no power no connection?
2016-12-15
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hope they sort it for you soon
2016-12-15
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

Can you post link to the log here so others can review and understand??
2016-12-15
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear of the failure, not saying it was the case in your crash but the p4p's batteries need a two thumb good push home, they seem to be a snugger fit compared to any other phantoms
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

DaceX80, we feel so sorry to hear about that.
Since you've contacted our tech support with the information, we'll take care of you case, please do not worry about it.
Please feel free to let us know for any further questions.
2016-12-16
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

digdat Posted at 2016-12-15 21:14
Can you post link to the log here so others can review and understand??

Sorry, I took it back down but here you go

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5JF52CNQ0V8U127HMRW9/#
2016-12-16
Use props
DaceX80
lvl.2
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-12-15 20:14
Would the battery have been loose, no power no connection?

This was my first thought at the time, due to the battery still being on when she crashed, but its incredibly unlikely as I always remove the battery completely from the unit when its not in use (or in transit) so that I have to push the battery in to place for every flight. I am pretty obsessed and careful when it comes to batteries due to my fear of this exact thing happening, the battery was securely in. I did notice that the P4P arrived with the battery pushed in completely, which I thought was a bad idea on their part.
2016-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules