Sony FDR-X3000 4K or DJI OSMO+/Mobile
8912 7 2016-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travelling Dron
lvl.2
Canada

Was just watching some videos and I can't really determine which is better, all the recent osmo footage I've been watching seems to be plague with jitters and weird screen tearing effects but when used right the footage is butter smooth,  this sony cam is an action camera but with boss activation on it looks pretty fantastic
any gurus who used both these cameras on this forum?  I mainly want a camera for very smooth shots and they are both around my budget range, just one thing that concerns me is seeing all these issues OSMO has (I know its a forum they are all going to be congested with the most negative stuff)

so any advice?
2016-12-16
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.2

United Kingdom

OSMO is the way to go, the BOSS system implemented on Sony is good but not as good as any gimbal. I had the best result using a brushless gimbal with a Sony BOSS enabled camera, but I'm talking about a big drone not handheld.
So, I have a Sony FDR AX-33 handy camera with BOSS but the results are not as good as OSMO's in terms of stability of the footage.
2016-12-18
Use props
Alberto Pasian
lvl.2

Italy

Quite interesting, I admit I prefere the Sony color rendering and dynamic range.
2016-12-18
Use props
Robin UAV
lvl.2

United Kingdom

2016-12-18
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

I had an Osmo+ but in the end went Sony because of all the issues I was having. I think the best way to go is a modular system, separate camera and gimbal, that way you can change your setup further down the track. The reason I went Sony is the support and product quality, they even make the sensor in the Osmo, there are very few firmware updates on their gear because they are a few generations in and have ironed out the bugs. Plus they also have local repair centers and accessories are easily available.

I think your best be is to wait till after christmas and get the Sony cheap on the second hand market, play with it for a while then look into the gimbal.
2016-12-18
Use props
Alberto Pasian
lvl.2

Italy

Skint Posted at 2016-12-19 06:42
I had an Osmo+ but in the end went Sony because of all the issues I was having. I think the best way to go is a modular system, separate camera and gimbal, that way you can change your setup further down the track. The reason I went Sony is the support and product quality, they even make the sensor in the Osmo, there are very few firmware updates on their gear because they are a few generations in and have ironed out the bugs. Plus they also have local repair centers and accessories are easily available.

I think your best be is to wait till after christmas and get the Sony cheap on the second hand market, play with it for a while then look into the gimbal.

This. I'm too in the market for an action cam / FPV mobile 4k cam to complement my drone shots and still can't decide which direction to go. My options are:

- OSMO +
- Gopro Hero 5
- Sony FDR-X3000
- Xiaomi 4k

Image quality wise, the Sony seems hard to beat.  As I've said, color rendering, dynamic range, low-light performance, 4K optical stabilization... everything is really at the top compared to other solutions. But it's pretty expensive - and you still have to add the price for a gimbal. The OSMO system seems to be still impaired by some hardware and software defects and it's a shame because I think it would be nice to have similar systems (P3P + OSMO) to color grade.
2016-12-19
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

What about The Sony FDR-X3000 on a zhiyun-tech Crane-M. The Crane-M handle will control the zoom/record functions of the Sony camera plus if you stick a cellphone on the gimbal as well you get object tracking. The Sony will also go up to 100MB/s video on an SDXC card so no file splits on longer video. If you need more battery life for the camera (60mins) just plug in a usb battery bank. No doubt it is a more expensive setup but the key here is ease of use, too many times I later wished I hand spent more to get a system that just works.

Hero 5 is good and they have re released the karma stick but I still prefer optical stabilization to digital.
2016-12-20
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

I am in the same situation. I have a Sony Action Cam AS100V and the Feiyu G4 GS and I would like to get a better camera. I love using the gimbal and from the video posted here I would need more than the Sony X3000. The BOSS is not enough for what I would like to achieve.What did you do? Did you buy anything?
2017-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules