P4P Loss of power and crash two seconds after takeoff
1079 11 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans192d16fe
lvl.1

United States

[size=14.6667px]Had my first issue with my new P4P yesterday after close to 40 flights I've taken with the new bird.

[size=14.6667px]I was on my fifth flight of the morning and the second from this specific location. A second or two after I took off and about six or seven feet above the ground, the copter appeared to lose all power and came crashing down to the ground. I had just swapped to a new 100 percent charged battery prior to the flight. I've owned P1s and P2s prior to this, so I'm new to the flight logs and what can be extracted from them. I signed up at Healthy Drones and looked at the info, but the only odd thing I see is a "Mode changed to 41" and "Mode changed to Assisted Takeoff" as the first two entries. Since I've been flying quadcopters for years, I've never used the assisted takeoff, including this flight. Here's the link to the flight log.

[size=14.6667px]http://healthydrones.com/main?share=mXmHNH

[size=14.6667px]There was minor damage to the landing gear including a few cracks that will force me to replace them. I took the P4P to another location, re-calibrated it, used another 100 percent charged battery and did a few test flights about 12 inches off the ground for each flight and it appears to fly fine. I'm a bit concerned about flying again at any altitude/distance until I figure out if this is a issue to this specific battery or something inside the copter.
2016-12-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Can I suggest you post your flight log to Phantomhelp.com rather than Healthydrones, their log interpretation is much more detailed?
2016-12-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I think assisted take off is automatic, just to make sure you get clear of the ground before the wind can push it over, certainly normal to see it there.

We can see more info if you upload the log to: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I would think it should go back to DJI for a check up and repairs, otherwise it is likely to do it again at a more critical time, doesn't sound like it was your fault.
2016-12-17
Use props
fans192d16fe
lvl.1

United States

Here's the other log as suggested:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1VJEXPRZW7C3WEBQH40I/
2016-12-17
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder if the battery became disengaged, the log suddenly stops and apparently so did everything else. Was the battery out when you picked it up?
2016-12-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That log stops before it falls so gives us no information.

I think you should at least download the logs from the aircraft and get them to DJI for analysis, they should probably be able to tell why it lost power without sending it in.
2016-12-17
Use props
fans192d16fe
lvl.1

United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-17 15:17
I wonder if the battery became disengaged, the log suddenly stops and apparently so did everything else. Was the battery out when you picked it up?

I watched the whole crash and when it hit the ground, the battery did pop out, but I thought it was due to the force of the impact.

I really don't like the latch system on the battery as it seems that as you push it in, the battery moves up in the slot every time, regardless of which way you apply force, catching the upper latch first. I have to really fiddle each time to get the lower to latch. Now I'm wondering if the lower wasn't 100 percent in, but since its such a pain I'm always double checking the bottom. I wonder if it appeared to be, but really wasn't?
2016-12-17
Use props
fans192d16fe
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-12-17 15:38
That log stops before it falls so gives us no information.

I think you should at least download the logs from the aircraft and get them to DJI for analysis, they should probably be able to tell why it lost power without sending it in.

Looked around the DJI website, but couldn't find anything specific about sending in logs. Can you advise how to do this?
2016-12-17
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans192d16fe Posted at 2016-12-17 15:53
I watched the whole crash and when it hit the ground, the battery did pop out, but I thought it was due to the force of the impact.

I really don't like the latch system on the battery as it seems that as you push it in, the battery moves up in the slot every time, regardless of which way you apply force, catching the upper latch first. I have to really fiddle each time to get the lower to latch. Now I'm wondering if the lower wasn't 100 percent in, but since its such a pain I'm always double checking the bottom. I wonder if it appeared to be, but really wasn't?

Sounds like it wasn't fully clicked in and the vibration of the craft once in the air lossened it enough to lose power. Start triple checking that everytime you pop a new battery in.

Sorry that happened though, good lesson for us all.
2016-12-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans192d16fe Posted at 2016-12-17 22:07
Looked around the DJI website, but couldn't find anything specific about sending in logs. Can you advise how to do this?

I think you need to get in touch with support and explain the problem, then they will ask for the logs and give instructions.  Never done it myself but plenty have, if it is an aircraft fault they normally identify it.

They have a few contact options: http://www.dji.com/support

Batteries can pop out on hard landings, doesn't mean it wasn't properly in, and I think even with only one clip in place there should not be an issue.
2016-12-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-12-18 09:49
I think you need to get in touch with support and explain the problem, then they will ask for the logs and give instructions.  Never done it myself but plenty have, if it is an aircraft fault they normally identify it.

They have a few contact options: http://www.dji.com/support

Whatever the situation, the battery should not pop out on a hard landing. If it does, then the battery latching system is badly designed.
2016-12-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please sync your flight records through the APP and provide us your APP account e-mail address? we'll help you check it.
2016-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules