Is filing a flight plan considered notifying the control tower?
1329 14 2016-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
colcord8
lvl.1

United States

Basically everywhere around my house is 5 miles from an airport. I have just been filing a flight plan on Lockheed Martin Flight Services (1800wxbrief.com). Is this considered notifying the Control tower because I have not seen any change in the aircrafts course even after filing a flight plan. For instance instead of circling around the airport and landing in the other direction they are still landing within the radius of my flight plan even below 400 ft (where I could potentially be flying). Is there somewhere else I should be filing a flight plan or do I littery have to call the control tower twice a day whenever I wanna fly.
2016-12-17
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why not just go fly somewhere away from the airport?
2016-12-17
Use props
colcord8
lvl.1

United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-18 01:18
Why not just go fly somewhere away from the airport?

Basically everywhere around my house is 5 miles from an airport. I would have to drive about 20 miles away to not be 5 miles from an airport, and my house is on the bay and is the best place I know to fly at.
2016-12-17
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Well an Airport will not Change their flight plans or paths for a Drone/quadcopter/RC Model Plane. You could call the Airport tower and explain where you are the Height you will be flying and the duration and they will either say yes or no. Here is a guy in this video that called one in florida. He was given two or three numbers to call in his search to contact the tower (Tower Lines are unlisted private and secured) and the outcome surprised me.

2016-12-17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

colcord8 Posted at 2016-12-17 20:34
Basically everywhere around my house is 5 miles from an airport. I would have to drive about 20 miles away to not be 5 miles from an airport, and my house is on the bay and is the best place I know to fly at.

Aloha colcord,

Here is a link for contacting the tower using charts and the Internet.  This can be applied to anywhere in the US.  

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-18
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-18 03:16
Aloha colcord,

Here is a link for contacting the tower using charts and the Internet.  This can be applied to anywhere in the US.  

Very nice. Airport vector. Straight to somebody that can answer your questions from the start. Very Cool.
2016-12-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Normn8or Posted at 2016-12-17 23:53
Very nice. Airport vector. Straight to somebody that can answer your questions from the start. Very Cool.

Aloha Norm,

Actually, you were the one who found this for me.  It was on the side of the YouTube page with your posted video.  I looked at it and found it useful.  So, Mahalo Norm!

President Obama arrived today and there is a 10 mile TFR out so I had to do some research to see where I can fly.  The SkyVector web page is very helpful in many other ways, for example it gave the full text of the TFR.  Mahalo again!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-18
Use props
The Vaping wolf
lvl.2
United States

first of all ..... THEY have right of way .... infact any manned aircraft has right of way 24/7.....they will never deviate so you can fly around your home .... you are simple going to find a new place to fly
2016-12-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"For instance instead of circling around the airport and landing in the other direction they are still landing within the radius of my flight plan even below 400 ft (where I could potentially be flying)."

You don't seriously expect manned aircraft and commercial business to change their flight plans because somebody wants to fly his camera round his house do you ?

Best idea would be to move out of the 5 mile radius.
2016-12-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

When I flew real planes, I had a FAA field office and weather bureau at the field I flew out of.  I did all the stuff on filing a flight plan there after the weather briefing, but the tower had to be informed that I was activating my flight plan before takeoff while taxing out to the runway.  Otherwise they have no idea that you are flying or not and may have cancelled out.  Probably best to call the tower and ask them if you need to verify or not after you file a flight plan online for a drone.
2016-12-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Vaping wolf Posted at 2016-12-18 00:38
first of all ..... THEY have right of way .... infact any manned aircraft has right of way 24/7.....they will never deviate so you can fly around your home .... you are simple going to find a new place to fly

Aloha wolf,

One of the tricks for the Forum is to click on "Reply" at the bottom right corner of the Post Box for the commentary you want to reply to (next to Upvote, Downvote & Report).  This will make a short quote that shows the direct response to a statement.

It took me months to figure that out!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-18
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-18 15:31
Aloha wolf,

One of the tricks for the Forum is to click on "Reply" at the bottom right corner of the Post Box for the commentary you want to reply to (next to Upvote, Downvote & Report).  This will make a short quote that shows the direct response to a statement.

You can't quote the starting post since that's what he was replying to, at least not in the mobile version.
2016-12-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-18 12:02
You can't quote the starting post since that's what he was replying to, at least not in the mobile version.

Aloha trance,

Yeah, you noticed that to!  I wonder why that is?  It is also on the full computer version.  That is why I try to skip the original post were possible and if I have to respond to the original post, I try to make another post later when the OP makes another comment.  Have you noticed if that is still true with the new "#Quick Reply Here#" option?  Hmm, interesting.

BTW, good point about Wolf's comment.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-18
Use props
colcord8
lvl.1

United States

The Vaping wolf Posted at 2016-12-18 02:38

No I am not...
2017-3-2
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

You are living in controlled airspace where flying your drone is not allowed unless you call the tower for permission every time you're going to fly. Anything short of doing that can lead to some serious legal problems for you, and potential danger for manned flight. Manned aircraft have the right of way and they will never be required to yield to you. I agree that your best bet would be to find a better place to fly. I live deep inside the No-Fly zone around Washington, DC and have to drive an hour an a half to get to a safe place to fly, so I feel your pain. But if I violate those FAA regulations, my pain would be much worse.
2017-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules