Can DJI explain why they recc'd high storage charge on batterys ?
1015 10 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

It is fairly universal that LiPo battery's be stored at 25 - 50% level, with recc'd levels of 3.75 - 3.9v per cell.

Millions of LiPo's around the world are sold / stored at usually 3.8 - 3.85v per cell.

DJI recc'd a high charge state of 50 - 60% ..... why ? This falls outside of internationally accepted and proven practice.

I am most interested in DJI themselves replying on this. The battery's are expensive and I wish to make sure my actions are safe and best for long service of the packs. As I am sure others are.

Nigel
2016-12-18
Use props
Da Lata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008297 ft

Brazil

Because smart batteries have a slow unloading system .. then after 3 days stored it starts to unload until they reach the right storage point.
2016-12-18
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Because these cells are rated at 4.35v fully charge. Some people call these lithium cells as high voltage lithium batteries. These will operate throughout their capacity mostly at 3.8v and not 3.7v like you are probably accustom to. And those other 3.7v lithium cells should never be charged over 4.20v ever. These 3.8v lithium cells are becoming more and more common. I first seen them used in cell phones like many newer Samsung phones.
2016-12-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Tks for replies - but HV are used by other RC as well.

My question was actually based on the % DJI quote. On rechecking manual - it actually states 65% !!!!!

I'm looking through many sites and also my archives to narrow this down. But all info I find contradicts with DJI advice.

It would be good if DJI themselves answer this one.
2016-12-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-19 12:25
Tks for replies - but HV are used by other RC as well.

My question was actually based on the % DJI quote. On rechecking manual - it actually states 65% !!!!!

'It would be good if DJI themselves answer this one.'

You might have a long wait. The DJI staff that man this forum are not engineers, so it is unlikely they will know the answer, and the actual DJI engineers do not come onto this forum. So all you can hope for is that one of the DJI forum people refer the question to China for an answer.

2016-12-18
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Hi Geebax .....

I read this elsewhere as an answer to others as well as myself. But I think DJI should at least reply - they provide a forum for prospective buyers and owners to post. Surely its fair to at least expect some support and answers to questions from the originator's ?

Every other manufacturer forum site I visit has information given in response to questions. Its not as if we are asking anything commercially secretive or damaging .... I say we - because of how many questions go unanswered by DJI.
Even questions on such as RC Groups and other non manufacturer forums get replies from manufacturers ....

So in essence bad information can be posted up here by anyone and DJI will not in anyway correct or respond ? Not very good is it really.
2016-12-19
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I read the manual differently. It states it will discharge the battery to below 65%. That could mean anything between 0 to 64%. I only have one battery I allowed DJI to self discharge and it is sitting at 52%. It could have been still in the self discharge mode so it might even have gone lower yet. I checked the cells individually and they were all around 3.86v.
2016-12-19
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

For battery life I wonder if it makes a difference whether its 40 or 60 percent discharged? I wonder if the critical factor is not storing at 90 or above. I would think that low storage around 30 or less might now be good either.
2016-12-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

The storage range of ALL LiPo's including HV is recc'd to be from 3.7 to 3.9v per cell. This equates to about 20 - 50%.

The interesting part is that the HV LiPo does not have a different recc'd storage range and reason is that the HV LiPo once 20 - 30% is used  it actually performs same as a standard LiPo.  I was not aware of this until searching out further info. When you consider that the HV LiPo is only 1.35v greater than the standard but gives approx. 10% greater energy at top end it makes sense.

For long time in early days of LiPo - I treated them badly - charging up and leaving them similar to Nixx days. I learned my lesson by cells developing high iR, short flight times, packs overheating when previously no problem in same model .... the typical Puffed pack. I soon listened to advice to storage set my LiPo's. Now I have good life and performance from even old packs.

My personal preference - proven by my packs iR not increasing dramatically or performance degrading - is to store all my LiPo's at 3.75v or similar .... that is round the 25% mark.... The actual figure depends on level at end of flight. As long as less than 3.9 but more than 3.7 per cell I will leave pack alone for storage.

Nigel
2016-12-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2016-12-20 09:49
The storage range of ALL LiPo's including HV is recc'd to be from 3.7 to 3.9v per cell. This equates to about 20 - 50%.

The interesting part is that the HV LiPo does not have a different recc'd storage range and reason is that the HV LiPo once 20 - 30% is used  it actually performs same as a standard LiPo.  I was not aware of this until searching out further info. When you consider that the HV LiPo is only 1.35v greater than the standard but gives approx. 10% greater energy at top end it makes sense.

You are an exception, the average punter on here does not go to those lengths when storing a battery, and even fewer know the rules to good battery management. This is why DJI have implemented an automatic discharge routine, to try and look after the clueless.
2016-12-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-20 06:59
You are an exception, the average punter on here does not go to those lengths when storing a battery, and even fewer know the rules to good battery management. This is why DJI have implemented an automatic discharge routine, to try and look after the clueless.

Hi Geebax ...... ok - but if i can help others understand LiPo's ?

Cheers
Nigel
2016-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules