Phantom 4 Pro video is worse than P4 - straight out of the box??
1053 6 2016-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rosensta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 809449 ft
Denmark

Hi,

Just got my new P4P - that is to replace my P4.

But...I got very surprised when taking it on it's first flight. The video (camera all set to auto) is:

• Not as sharp and crisp as it was on my P4 - and when panning around the sharpness completely goes away
  • Contrast is heavy with white areas a bit too washed out and dark areas without details

In fact I clearly think that P4 does a much better video job, which is opposite to what I expected.

I have flown extensively with P4 - done aound 30 hours of video in all conditions, and seeing this slight blurry and wrongly contrasted video straight out of the box surprises me.

Has anyone else experienced this - or suggestions what to try? I am of course running latest FW etc etc.

Br.
Jens Rosenstand
2016-12-20
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Besides auto what were your settings, were you in d-log? Did you tap to focus?  Were you filming 4k? I have flown several flights with very good results, the dynamic range far surpassing the P4. I hope you can get your situated , it really is something special once it's dialed in.
2016-12-20
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Try phantomfilmschool.com or search on youtube, video settings P4P. There is a lot to learn.
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Jens, could you please upload some original videos to dropbox and send me the link? I'll help to check it.
2016-12-21
Use props
chico92
lvl.2
Flight distance : 584186 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey Jens,

it seems like this is a hardware issue, it's not due to false settings. Take a look at the following thread.
@ DJI Mindy: You can find a original video sequence showing the issue also in the thread mentioned above. There you go. I'd be really happy if you'd forward this to your R&D, maybe they can come up with a solution or even if not, with a believable reason. This problem affects all Phantom 4 Pro's, not only a few. It's a hardware/firmware-related issue, probably due to the new sensor or it's readout. Thanks in advance for your help!
2016-12-21
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yes, I think we can call it a "known problem" now.
I also did some "research" about this "ghosting" or "smearing" problem but I don't have a real answear yet.
While "fast" panning for example you sometimes can see details appearing several times at "previous" positions with decreasing intensity. The details overlayed or blended with slight motion gives unsharp results.
I already did several tests on that and it seems that this only happens or is more visible in darker or lower contrast areas. In bright surroundings it's not that pronounced.

Maybe this happens due to some noise reduction in darker areas using frame blending.

If you don't feel ok with this "ghosting" please report to DJI support.

What also annoys me is the codec itself - seems that it's not 100% H.264 compliant.
Editing performance in EDIUS 8 or Premiere CC feels worse to similar encoded (25p/UHD/100Mbps) clips of my Sony or Panasonic cameras.
2016-12-22
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Today I did a very slow pan a the smearing effect is easily visible and destroying the good detail and sharpness of the camera when it is steady. This is very annoying!
Is there a solution in the queue?!
2016-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules