Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Newbie needing some advice
2113 3 2014-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GWIZZ
New

United States

Hello All,

I am new to the quadcopter world. I have a friend who has a Phantom 2 Vision plus with 2 extra batteries. He is interested in selling it to me. He is a good friend but because I am new I would like to know if there is anything I should look out for. He has about 125 flights on his Phantom 2. He was using it to video Dragracing as we both compete in that field together. I feel like it's a good deal and I know I can trust him but I simply want to know if there is anything I should look out for on the Copter/Batteries/Camera/Gimbal/or Remote itself. I flew it myself the other day. He says it has never been down hard and the gimbal and camera worked fine while I flew FPV the other day.

I have very very little experience as I have only flown a Heli-max 230 SI for 2 weeks. All help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
2014-9-17
Use props
tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

How much cheaper than the new reduced price for a new unit? They are $1229 for the P2V+ with extra battery. I would say, if you can confirm that everything is in perfect working condition (especially the gimbal and camera, as well as motors) and it is considerably cheaper than $1230, it may be worth buying. But at $1,000+ I would say buy a new one. You should consider battery life as well as dust and sand in the motors, if flying near a racetrack, I assume. And the ribbon cable (black flat wire) connecting the camera to the unit (taped to the gimbal) is very susceptible to damage. Check that out very costly too. Although if it was broke you would know. Good luck!
2014-9-17
Use props
GWIZZ
New

United States

Thanks Tony, I can get it for 850. I do trust this person but being a newbie I just want to know things to look for. Actually he has never been into Quadcopters before either, this is his first so I don't think he would screw me over but honestly he truly might not know what to look for.

FYI his has 2 EXTRA batteries so a total of 3
2014-9-17
Use props
plow
lvl.2
United States

Batteries are $130 a whack plus shipping. Motors can be replaced or upgraded, easy if you can solder. What to watch out for is the camera and gimbal, those go for around $700 new plus labor. Stuff always breaks. As a newby you're probably going to put your Phantom into the trees a time or two plus an occasional hard landing. With 850 this is what I'd do: Phantom FC40 (500), Walkera g-2d gimbal (<100), SJ4000 camera (<100), Bascam 2.4GHz transmitter and receiver (<80), Bluebeam omni antennas (<80), a couple good 2700mAh LIPOs (about 25@)  and some king of monitor (about 80 I think). Ok, a few bucks more than 850 but you'll have a camera as good or better than the Vision, better FPV range and about 2/3 the battery time in air. Most importantly, anything you break wont cost you an arm and a leg to replace. When I fly I like to have fun and i expect to break something once in a while. Something to think about.
2014-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules