2032 14 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony Lawton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27087 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I recently heard of someone losing their drone after an oncoming call came through on his mobile phone that he was using with DJI GO app.
Has anyone else heard of this problem and if anything can be done to stop calls when flying?

Cheers
Tony

2016-12-21
Use props
Cat and Otter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559183 ft
United States

Mobile phones work on many different frequencies. Even if the mobile phone was not near the same frequency, it could potentially overload the RC's receiver. It should not interfere with the control signal the RC is transmitting.

My thoughts are the operator may have been flying out of line of sight or fubling with the phone and not paying attention to the aircraft and lost control. I suppose it is also possible the Go app was not set to refresh in the backround.

I put my phone in do-not-disturb mode or even airplane mode when I'm flying. Not sure if it helps or prevents anything but the less unessesary radio frequencies floating around can't hurt!

2016-12-21
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Some good advice there from C&O, if you are concerned about interference, put your device into airplane mode.

Mark G.
2016-12-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never heard of this happening. If you are worried then put the phone into Airplane mode.
I've never had mine in airplane mode and have never had an issue. I've even taken calls before and it hasn't caused an issue.
I think if there was a crash it would be more a case of being distracted then an interference problem.
2016-12-21
Use props
Tony Lawton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27087 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the good advice. Still pretty new to drone flying so every little helps.

Cheers
Tony
2016-12-21
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

It's amazing how one person posting something online immediately becomes fact and spreads like wildfire. Almost impossible to put out as well.

OP, this is just not correct, not based on fact or actual testing. Just someone's opinion on an event they may or may not have actually witnessed at some time in the past.
Tablets/Phones can be used whilst in flight - cellular data services (or wifi via a personal hotspot) are used to support mapping as you fly.

Similar BS 'facts' out there include:

Removing your keys from your pocket while doing a compass calibration.
Losing control of a UAV in flight from the presence of Cellular towers.
Losing control of a UAV in flight in the presence of HV transmission lines.

2016-12-21
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-21 09:44
I've never heard of this happening. If you are worried then put the phone into Airplane mode.
I've never had mine in airplane mode and have never had an issue. I've even taken calls before and it hasn't caused an issue.
I think if there was a crash it would be more a case of being distracted then an interference problem.

Ken
I was flying my Mavic with the iPhone 7 and a call came into my phone.  I just cancelled the call and continued flying. no issues at all with mine

Rich
2016-12-21
Use props
Stevie GooGs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7468868 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are signal bouncing about everywhere, i personally turn off my phone before i start to fly, what is the point in having it on?  Im not exactly going to answer it while flying.
2016-12-22
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-12-21 17:42
It's amazing how one person posting something online immediately becomes fact and spreads like wildfire. Almost impossible to put out as well.

OP, this is just not correct, not based on fact or actual testing. Just someone's opinion on an event they may or may not have actually witnessed at some time in the past.

The  only one I think I have been guilty of is the Keys in the Pocket, the reason is I just want them to understand how Important it is to be away from anything Metal that could interfere with the compass .  If they think the Keys could throw it off then certainly I better get away from My car etc.  

I do agree keys would not be  enough to throw off the Compass calibration for the record, but take any change out of your pocket for sure !!

Merry Christmas Farnk

donnie
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-21 22:52
Ken
I was flying my Mavic with the iPhone 7 and a call came into my phone.  I just cancelled the call and continued flying. no issues at all with mine

Yes, I have never had an issue with this as well.
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Stevie GooGs Posted at 2016-12-22 04:29
There are signal bouncing about everywhere, i personally turn off my phone before i start to fly, what is the point in having it on?  Im not exactly going to answer it while flying.

A phone call should not cause any interference as it's on a different frequency.
But we always suggest to but it in airplane mode as one of the suggestions if you are experiencing any issues.
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2016-12-22 05:40
The  only one I think I have been guilty of is the Keys in the Pocket, the reason is I just want them to understand how Important it is to be away from anything Metal that could interfere with the compass .  If they think the Keys could throw it off then certainly I better get away from My car etc.  

I do agree keys would not be  enough to throw off the Compass calibration for the record, but take any change out of your pocket for sure !!

I take everything metal off my person and calibrate with the RC/iPad about 10ft away from the aircraft.
In all the years flying multirotors I've never had a compass issue.
2016-12-22
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-22 07:25
Yes, I have never had an issue with this as well.

I would think if there was going to be a problem... you would have seen this during the testing in California
do to all of the interference in the high population areas.
Rich
2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-12-22 11:06
I would think if there was going to be a problem... you would have seen this during the testing in California
do to all of the interference in the high population areas.
Rich

Yes, I've flown in many many different environments and I've never put the device into Airplane mode.
I've done that with several different DJI aircraft a well. Maybe I've just been lucky
2016-12-22
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

Wow that is like crazy! I'm not taking chances with either the distraction or the potential loss of comm.  That's why I bought the P4P+
2016-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules