Absolutely gutted. Mavic has gone.
12Next >
3312 52 2016-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well after patiently waiting for 2 months for it to arrive and paying over £1250, the mavic decided to not respond to me trying to fly back to me and not return home after pressing the return home icon.
No trace of it, dont know if it tried to return home or if it dropped out of the sky as i jumped in my car to try and get to it but it had gone.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can a mod please delete other thread with spelling mistake... thanks.
2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

I could be completely wrong but I though in the Casey Neistat video where he lost his drone that he spoke to DJI and that there was a way he could pull the last GPS coordinates?  Maybe someone from DJI can comment.?

Good luck!!!
2016-12-22
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2016-12-22 06:00
I could be completely wrong but I though in the Casey Neistat video where he lost his drone that he spoke to DJI and that there was a way he could pull the last GPS coordinates?  Maybe someone from DJI can comment.?

Good luck!!!

I remember that too.   Could be perched in a tree branch at it's last coordinates.

Did you put your contact information on it?    FAA number?  
I had a guy on eBay make up a "Pilot: (999)999-9999" small 3M sticker to go on one side, and my FAA number on the other.   He even made them gold that matched the Mavic decals.   Not everyone will be honest and return it, but most people will.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Im going to try contacting them now
Hopefully youre correct.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I watched that video last night about the number on the drone... that was my next job as ive labelled the batteries 1.. 2... 3 etc but that wont help trace me... doh!!!
2016-12-22
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Did you fly it with your phone attached to the remote?   You should be able to sync your flight record and it will show a rough coordinate on the map view for you to go search inside the DJI Go app.  
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yeah i could see the last place it was on video but it was not responding to horizontal movements, only thing i could do was rotate.
It seemed like there was an obstacle being detected whichever way i rotated it which probably explains why it wouldnt fly horizontally.
Ive been to the last gps signal but the gps map shows a green line straight back to the home point... i drove back there and it wasnt there so i dont know if it was its intended flight path or the flight path that it actually took.
Maybe it lost power some time inbetween and fell out of the sky..
2016-12-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-22 13:04
Yeah i could see the last place it was on video but it was not responding to horizontal movements, only thing i could do was rotate.
It seemed like there was an obstacle being detected whichever way i rotated it which probably explains why it wouldnt fly horizontally.
Ive been to the last gps signal but the gps map shows a green line straight back to the home point... i drove back there and it wasnt there so i dont know if it was its intended flight path or the flight path that it actually took.

If there was an obstacle in its way the I don't think you had RTH height set properly, on your last flight where it went down you should be able to see in your dji app. .
2016-12-22
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.2

United States

How far away was the drone? Did you lose line of sight? Did you update the firmware prior to take off? Was this your first flight?
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ive flown it between 10/15 times. It was roughly 5/600m away when it started playing up with the drifting/unresponsiveness with the horizontal flying controls and focus seemingly blurry after momentarilly focusing.
It probably fell into the canal that was approximately 100m away.
I just wish I chased it the second it started playing up. Hindsight and all that.
I never really got any proper use from it as the weather hasnt been nice enough to travel far to get some good footage.
2016-12-22
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

Upload the flight log to Healthy Drones.  Let us try to help you find it.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ive cancelled my two extra batteries i had on pre order. I suppose i best start selling my other 2 and controller from my fly more pack... looks like i wont be getting any drone footage of my christmas day.
2016-12-22
Use props
Incredible Aeri
lvl.2

United States

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-22 22:17
Ive cancelled my two extra batteries i had on pre order. I suppose i best start selling my other 2 and controller from my fly more pack... looks like i wont be getting any drone footage of my christmas day.

Did you lose line of sight at anytime? What type of buildings were you next to? Power lines around?
2016-12-22
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12976 ft
United Kingdom

Gutted for you!

Possibly the sun causing OA to be activated. I would also go back to the HP in case it did return however if something was stopping it or connection was lost and it could not RTH it should have hovered there until the battery was critical then landed straight down.

Really wish you the very best of luck in getting it back!!!!
2016-12-22
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Go to the spot where it started acting up.   Thoroughly search that area.   Then go in a straight line from that point back to home point and search all along the way.   
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Appreciate the help and the good luck wishes.
The flight log only shows info up untill it lost connection.
That is where i went to look for it.
Been back to the home point a few times... way more than the battery could have lasted for so im confident it never made it back to the home point.
The video from my phone shows the drone rotating as if it was trying to attempt to fly back but it cuts out then and the screen goes black and white as it has lost connection.
It probably hovered and drifted in the breeze at around 1m/s in the opposite as it was previously when trying to return home.
Ive given up searching now as the only way to get the actual location would be from the drone itself or the dji servers if the mavic uploaded its last location the last second before it landed/crashed..
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

There is a mobile phone mast in the are and industrial warehouses. But ive done around 50% of my flights from the same home point without this problem.
Also flown past where i had intended to fly a few times and never lost control before.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Probably landed on a rooftop of a building on the way back or like i said before it might have ended up in the canal it was drifting towards.
The video was just shy of 13mins so it either drifted/hovered for the remainder of battery then landed or tried to get back.
Shouldve taken no more than 3 mins to return if at anywhere near 50% battery. (Was full at take off)
2016-12-22
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Nightmare scenario for sure What firmware was it running? Was it in GPS mode when you lost contact or had it dropped to ATTI mode?
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thinking about it . It had 20gps and it responded to rotating but not strafing/horizontal flying so its not like it completely lost all controls, just the more important one which enables me to fly home..
I wouldnt wish this feeling on anyone.
Ive i had a spare drone i could search but no way i can justify buying another.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-12-22 17:22
Nightmare scenario for sure  What firmware was it running? Was it in GPS mode when you lost contact or had it dropped to ATTI mode?

In the panic i couldnt honestly tell you wether it switched or not but i do remember it having 20gps.. i havent flown it untill it gets a good strong gps signal.
2016-12-22
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

What altitude did you have set for RTH?

If you couldn't move forward with obstacle is it possible you backed into a collision?

Check trees around last position, they can hang up there with ease

Did you lose complete communication?  Were you unable to reestablish any connection with controller as you neared the last known site?

2016-12-22
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-22 17:29
In the panic i couldnt honestly tell you wether it switched or not but i do remember it having 20gps.. i havent flown it untill it gets a good strong gps signal.

There have been numerous reported instances of the Mavic dropping GPS connection, even with good satellite coverage. Your flight logs will have recorded it if that was the case. I'd get in touch with DJI and see what they say. Good luck.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

30m is the altitude setting but it was much higher before losing some controls and then complete control. Tried the RTH twice before cancelling as it was still drifting even when drone was trying to come back. Its as if the drone tried to give the input as i did but it wouldnt respond to forwards movement. More of a physical fault than a signal loss as even with signal loss the drone should control itself but the last few seconds of the video show it in the RTH mode as it rotates towards my direction at that set speed ( quite fast) but the h/speed still hovers around <1m/s in the wrong direction so its still drifting but facing towards me.
No trees near it but if it drifted for <12 mins at 1m/s then it could be ~700m away from last connection/gps location/ video image.
Was unable to reastablish a connection and couldnt see it so that would probably suggest it was already down??.
The seconds dont half dissapear in these situations. Absolutely helplessly horrible.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Waiting for a response back from dji other than the confirmation of them looking into it.
Will probably have a check in the only trees in the area later with my torch as its a long shot but it may reflect back at me.
2016-12-22
Use props
czkidd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 991 ft
United States

I after reading this, something was not set right.  sounds like pilot error.  This is a very smooth platform, and have had no issues flying it.  1st ever drone.  only 7 flight under my belt.  Maybe pre flight error?
2016-12-22
Use props
gburns53
lvl.1
United States

Well that sucks. I might have to make mine an Indoor Mavic named mittens.
2016-12-22
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-22 10:46
30m is the altitude setting but it was much higher before losing some controls and then complete control. Tried the RTH twice before cancelling as it was still drifting even when drone was trying to come back. Its as if the drone tried to give the input as i did but it wouldnt respond to forwards movement. More of a physical fault than a signal loss as even with signal loss the drone should control itself but the last few seconds of the video show it in the RTH mode as it rotates towards my direction at that set speed ( quite fast) but the h/speed still hovers around

The Mavic has some great features that can either be enabled/disabled to help the drone from impacting objects.  

Now keep in mind with all those options enabled the drone has to decide whether to accept your input or ignore in real time.  It's not a perfect system, even Airbus struggles to decide how much input should come from the pilot versus the computed flight control system on airliners.

Chances are you weren't able to gain complete directional control as the drone was taking control to avoid a collision.  This happens frequently when I fly low in tight areas.  One time I simply opted to land as I feared the system would RTH with a lot of overhead tree branches and a weak signal (deep in a canyon).  Keep in mind they can't see above so climbing to the RTH designated altitude may not end well.

It really sounds like you were in an area that was "doable" with your control, however when you hit RTH I can't help but wonder if a collision happened during ascent.
2016-12-22
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

One additional possibility is the sun is sitting low on the horizon this time of the year, and as many have reported flying into the sun will trigger the obstacle avoidance.  Is it possible the sun was at you back during the RTH?  Can't help but wonder if this would have prevented forward motion back to your location.

Just a thought.
2016-12-22
Use props
gburns53
lvl.1
United States

Mooney Posted at 2016-12-22 14:14
One additional possibility is the sun is sitting low on the horizon this time of the year, and as many have reported flying into the sun will trigger the obstacle avoidance.  Is it possible the sun was at you back during the RTH?  Can't help but wonder if this would have prevented forward motion back to your location.

Just a thought.

In desirable conditions, the obstacle avoidance extends to over 96 million miles! Wow
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

czkidd Posted at 2016-12-22 19:10
I after reading this, something was not set right.  sounds like pilot error.  This is a very smooth platform, and have had no issues flying it.  1st ever drone.  only 7 flight under my belt.  Maybe pre flight error?

It was a very smooth platform for me too..... until Today. I have 15 videos that I have saved so It was my 17th or even more likely my 20th+ flight if I count the 2 Today.
This happened on my second fresh Battery having used the first one a few minutes earlier.
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mooney Posted at 2016-12-22 19:11
The Mavic has some great features that can either be enabled/disabled to help the drone from impacting objects.  

Now keep in mind with all those options enabled the drone has to decide whether to accept your input or ignore in real time.  It's not a perfect system, even Airbus struggles to decide how much input should come from the pilot versus the computed flight control system on airliners.

All safety features/ sensors other than begginer mode were enabled as far as I'm aware, not even tried it in sport mode for 1 second since I got it neither.
Just before the footage ends it turned to face the home direction as it did earlier but like earlier, it was still drifting slowly away but facing the home point.

It was still at 100m or so when it took control to come home, so it wouldn't have ascended to 30m
2016-12-22
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mooney Posted at 2016-12-22 19:14

Just a thought.

There was a low Sun as it happens, the gimbal was facing more towards the floor at the time and mostly throughout the flight.
2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

It would be more about the optical sensors getting interfered with by the sun, regardless of gimbal position.
2016-12-22
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

gburns53 Posted at 2016-12-22 13:18
In desirable conditions, the obstacle avoidance extends to over 96 million miles! Wow

2016-12-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-23 04:49
There was a low Sun as it happens, the gimbal was facing more towards the floor at the time and mostly throughout the flight.

As the prior post stated, the optical sensors are always facing forward.
Sorry for your loss, what is your email and I will review the flight record.
You too can play it back and enable the stick inputs to see your inputs.
If you said it still had GPS and you activated RTH and you saw it drifting away then it may simply be the wind at whatever altitude was stronger than aircraft could perform.
2016-12-22
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-22 21:49

Just show us the playback please.
2016-12-22
Use props
czkidd
lvl.1
United States

Should be able to go to last coordinates and find it.  Especially if in GPS mode.  Many have recovered theirs this way.
2016-12-22
Use props
czkidd
lvl.1
United States

BTW. if you don't find it, what a very frusterating and anxious experience.  Sorry for the loss
2016-12-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules