How to downgrade P3S from 1.7.9 ?
2036 30 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keeponrollin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 250367 ft

Bulgaria

[size=14.6667px]So I wrote about my signal loss, and when I googled, I found there are a lot of people with P3S that experience the same problem trying to go beyond 40m....and most of them say its after a FW upgrade. I checked-mine is 1.7.9 and I want to go to 1.5.7...I put it on two different SD cards and nothing happens. There has to be a workaround to downgrade it,, please help.
[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]update:: so I managed to go back to 1.6.8 succesfully but it doesnt go to 1.5.7, as I think its the best one,, as far as I read in related topics. Theres strong wind today so I cant test if 1.6.8 fixed my range issues,, but should I leave it or try going lower?
2016-12-25
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

I'd leave it until you can test it.
2016-12-25
Use props
keeponrollin
lvl.1

Bulgaria

yeah probably...has anyone noticed major complains from 1.6.8 on P3S particullary on range/signal loss? Cause all Ive read about 1.7.8 is complains.
2016-12-25
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

It is mixed. Some had range issues going from 1.5.7 to 1.6.8 and some had range issues from 1.6.8 to 1.7.9.
2016-12-25
Use props
keeponrollin
lvl.1

Bulgaria

and what is the CE power thing? How do I check which is using,? And which is better?
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

keeponrollin Posted at 2016-12-25 11:02
yeah probably...has anyone noticed major complains from 1.6.8 on P3S particullary on range/signal loss? Cause all Ive read about 1.7.8 is complains.

Personally I think there's nothing wrong with 1.7.9. If your having issues it's either a hardware issue or a bad FW install. Did you install the 1.7.9 via the SD card or the correct way, using the Go app via wifi?
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

keeponrollin Posted at 2016-12-25 11:34
and what is the CE power thing? How do I check which is using,? And which is better?

Where you live it's in CE mode (lower power). There are software mods that can be use to over-ride this to FCC mode (more power), but not legal in your area, lol.
2016-12-25
Use props
LoganRisen
lvl.1
United States

I live in florida I just bought a p3 standard, always windy...
2016-12-25
Use props
keeponrollin
lvl.1

Bulgaria

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-25 18:58
Personally I think there's nothing wrong with 1.7.9. If your having issues it's either a hardware issue or a bad FW install. Did you install the 1.7.9 via the SD card or the correct way, using the Go app via wifi?

well I bought it like that with 179, and when I researched I noticed almost everyone is having bad signal with that FW...I dbout everyone is doing it wrong...and I noticed most people fixed it with a downgrade, problem is it only allowed me to go one step to 168... I will try tomorrow if its fixxed, and if not I will force downgrade it with holding the sync button.
2016-12-25
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

If it came with that version of firmware leave it if something happens and it doesn't work take it back.

I was getting 3600 feet with 168 I always lost control signal first then it would go to rth and everything always work beautiful

After 178 I started losing video signal prematurely and then my controller would have a red light.

But once I relink the RC it worked a bit better
2016-12-25
Use props
keeponrollin
lvl.1

Bulgaria

I bought it from a guy,, second hand...he upgraded it...isnt very responsive to my questions, mostly "I dont remember"....how can you not remember something like that.
I will test it tomorrow and update the thread, hopefully the signal gets better. He sent me a clip, before the fkn update and its clear he gets better video (no jello) and better signal....damnit why you had to upgrade it.
2016-12-25
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

keeponrollin Posted at 2016-12-25 17:16
well I bought it like that with 179, and when I researched I noticed almost everyone is having bad signal with that FW...I dbout everyone is doing it wrong...and I noticed most people fixed it with a downgrade, problem is it only allowed me to go one step to 168... I will try tomorrow if its fixxed, and if not I will force downgrade it with holding the sync button.

I'm in UK CE area

1.7.9 working better than 1.6.8 here - no mods
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

keeponrollin Posted at 2016-12-25 12:16

First I have to disagree, I made a poll right here on the forum about this and so for it's 15 to 5 I thing that are very happy with this FW's range.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D395%26typeid%3D395
I'm also on the other forum a lot and feel most are completely happy with it. Now a question, where did you buy your drone? Was it new or used?
EDIT: Now I've read your other post about buying it used. I bet he updated the FW using the SD card and not via the Go app (correct way).
This seemed to work well with past FW, but not with this current one, it likes (needs) to be done the right way via wifi and the Go app.

2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

LoganRisen Posted at 2016-12-25 12:04
I live in florida I just bought a p3 standard, always windy...

If it's under 15 mph all is good, but anyway just try to always fly into the wind and not with it. So getting it back will not be a problem, just don't fly it back to your home point and keep going past if it's very windy.
2016-12-25
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-25 11:52
First I have to disagree, I made a poll right here on the forum about this and so for it's 15 to 5 I thing that are very happy with this FW's range.
I'm also on the other forum a lot and feel most are completely happy with it. Now a question, where did you buy your drone? Was it new or used?

Yeah I had some questions about that poll. Like how many are running CE mode vs. FCC mode. And how they updated, by WiFi or by SD card?
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-25 12:59
Yeah I had some questions about that poll. Like how many are running CE mode vs. FCC mode. And how they updated, by WiFi or by SD card?

Yes I agree, this was my second attempt at making a clear poll question. There are so many variables like you just pointed out, it's makes the poll not so clear. Two mode areas, two different install options, then two opinions (good or bad) results.
2016-12-25
Use props
keeponrollin
lvl.1

Bulgaria

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-25 19:52

by "the correct way" you mean pressing the "graduation hat" icon on DJI app startup??

I will test tmorrow if 168 behaves better than 179, I will go to the same spot too, and if not-I will return to 179.

Or is it better to force downgrade to 157 ?
2016-12-25
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

keeponrollin Posted at 2016-12-25 16:14
by "the correct way" you mean pressing the "graduation hat" icon on DJI app startup??

I will test tmorrow if 168 behaves better than 179, I will go to the same spot too, and if not-I will return to 179.

Was referring to the way the 1.7.9 FW was installed. I bet he updated the FW using the SD card and not via the Go app (correct way), not meaning the graduation cap. Meaning when it's time for a FW update the Go app will give you a message across the display that can't be missed. And then you use the app via wifi to download and install it. But some downloaded a beta for the 1.7.9 FW that was never approved, and some downloaded the approved version but did a sideloading of the FW via the SD card which is not how the Standard was designed to be updated.
2016-12-25
Use props
keeponrollin
lvl.1

Bulgaria

so I tried to go from 1.7.9 to 1.6.8 but didnt help-still losing signal. went back to 1.7.9 via dji go app-still losing at around 100m distance and going in rth...
2016-12-26
Use props
SedaP3
lvl.1

United States

I feel as if my signal has degraded as well going to fw 1.7.9 how do I roll back to previous? I installed successfully via the dji go app but my Rc sign is 3-4 bars right next to the drone.
2016-12-26
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

SedaP3 Posted at 2016-12-26 13:53
I feel as if my signal has degraded as well going to fw 1.7.9 how do I roll back to previous? I installed successfully via the dji go app but my Rc sign is 3-4 bars right next to the drone.

Don't worry about some dumb signal bar, it's the range and performance that counts. I heard the way the signal bar calculates the display has changed. So again, think about real world results, not a display reading.
2016-12-26
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 06:29
Was referring to the way the 1.7.9 FW was installed. I bet he updated the FW using the SD card and not via the Go app (correct way), not meaning the graduation cap. Meaning when it's time for a FW update the Go app will give you a message across the display that can't be missed. And then you use the app via wifi to download and install it. But some downloaded a beta for the 1.7.9 FW that was never approved, and some downloaded the approved version but did a sideloading of the FW via the SD card which is not how the Standard was designed to be updated.

In the past, I've side loaded and extensively used two of the leaked 1.7.XX betas without noticing major issues. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if DJI could have and may have already made the open source dji go app and official FW upgrades proprietary. This could be the reason why side loading is no longer considered a valid upgrade protocol.
Just a thought.      
2016-12-26
Use props
Abe_Peters
New

Mexico

I'm loosing complete signal, how can i fix it?
2016-12-27
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

My DJI GO App v3.0.1 has a downgrade secret door. Press and hold for a few seconds on the graduation cap icon in the App.
2016-12-28
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-29 15:20
My DJI GO App v3.0.1 has a downgrade secret door. Press and hold for a few seconds on the graduation cap icon in the App.

Ok, Bill. Can you possibly explain how you can downgrade or rather re-install a previous version that is not shown when you do the 3 second graduation hat press? IMHO only previously installed versions could be re-installed through that "back door" but this trick may also be conditional to the app version and remote's firmware version at the time such versions were installed.  
I've successfully installed 3 versions to date and despite both log.txt files clearly showing the versions that I've previously installed, they have never been shown when I viewed the app's downgrade page.
2016-12-29
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-29 00:33
Ok, Bill. Can you possibly explain how you can downgrade or rather re-install a previous version that is not indicated as a previous version when you do the 3 second graduation hat press? IMHO only previously installed versions could be re-installed through that "back door" but this trick may also be conditional to the app version and remote's firmware version at the time such versions were installed.  
I've successfully installed 3 versions to date and despite both log.txt files clearly showing the versions that I've previously installed, they have never been shown at when attempting to use the app's downgrade page.

I have no idea, I just found it by accident lately. I would imagine you would put the install files (.bin files perhaps?) in the DJI folder under upgrade or something.
2016-12-29
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-29 00:47
I have no idea, I just found it by accident lately. I would imagine you would put the install files (.bin files perhaps?) in the DJI folder under upgrade or something.

Well Bill, it doesn't quite work that way.
The remote's bios is set up to write the new firmware in a specific sequence. That is, from the app, to the remote, to the camera and finally to the drone. And that is how the P3 Standard's I/O has always been intended to function. I also had the impression that upgrades or downgrades had to be done in succession. That can be explained by a recent development where DJI provided a link to another upgrade (1.7.94) for those that suffered broken features due to a bad upgrade process. I can loosely substantiate this because DJI would only have to re-provision 1.7.9 with a new version number (1.7.94) so that a re-install can be performed. Well, it was done and if I understand correctly, the 1.7.94 upgrade is to be applied by the SD card method which invites further thought on why DJI chose this method after not recommending it so often.

I consider both the app and 2.4ghz wifi in general as being undependable.      
2016-12-29
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 12:04
Don't worry about some dumb signal bar, it's the range and performance that counts. I heard the way the signal bar calculates the display has changed. So again, think about real world results, not a display reading.

Right. The signal bar represents packets received, not signal strength. Lost packets equates to increased lag.
2016-12-29
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

Abe_Peters Posted at 2016-12-27 22:43
I'm loosing complete signal, how can i fix it?

Point your remote at the drone or move to a less congested wifi area.
2016-12-29
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-29 02:37
Well Bill, it doesn't quite work that way.
The remote's bios is set up to write the new firmware in a specific sequence. That is, from the app, to the remote, to the camera and finally to the drone. And that is how the P3 Standard's I/O has always been intended to function. I also had the impression that upgrades or downgrades had to be done in succession. That can be explained by a recent development where DJI provided a link to another upgrade (1.7.94) for those that suffered broken features due to a bad upgrade process. I can loosely substantiate this because DJI would only have to re-provision 1.7.9 with a new version number (1.7.94) so that a re-install can be performed. Well, it was done and if I understand correctly, the 1.7.94 upgrade is to be applied by the SD card method which invites further thought on why DJI chose this method after not recommending it so often.

Fine, so the P3S was designed to do upgrades by WiFi only. Sure some of us don't like it. But this secret downgrade screen also downgrades by WiFi too.
2016-12-29
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-29 07:40
Fine, so the P3S was designed to do upgrades by WiFi only. Sure some of us don't like it. But this secret downgrade screen also downgrades by WiFi too.

That feature seemed interesting but it never worked for me so I never messed with it.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules