Christmas Day Ride - KTM 950 Adventure - Active Tracking
919 6 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

On this year's Christmas Day ride I decided to test out the active tracking feature.

Winds were around 17-25mph and at time it wasn't easy to control the Mavic, but active tracking worked well.

I had bar muffs on which why I couldn't stand up on the bike properly.

It's not that easy controlling the Mavic from the bike, and when riding you're constantly wondering where it is, but it works.

I couple of things I've noticed. 1) I need to make a lens hood. 2) I wish the software would allow the Mavic to follow a bit closer.
2016-12-25
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

Wow, that last flight looks like it was going straight to the ground, scared me for a little bit... but it looks pretty good, was this footage all done by the active track? I found it annoying that the mavic doesn't track closer as well. it loses the tracking so easily this way.
I took the mavic out with my newphew tobagganing and I had so much problem using the active track only to track them going down the hill. The best was having it to track without using the trace/spotlight/profile function and just fly it by my self.
2016-12-25
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It looked pretty good and yeah I thought she was going in to terra firma near the end it appeared to be flying pretty fast... Was that a setting to make it fly sideways along the side and if so how did you do this?
2016-12-25
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I believe it was the profile mode. I only used profile and standard. The pace of the bike affected how the Mavic moved. I started slow 10mph, but at one stage I breifly got up to about 35-40mph (though the wide angle makes it looks slower).

The Mavic detected that I was slowing down, and then I started to initiate a turn which sent it swinging around. It was never in any danger of hitting anything. It is entirely possible that I accidentally knocked the joystick though ;)

It was hard to ride with the controller in front of me, you see me looking down a lot, to check on it, then check where I'm going (straight road), and try to check on the Mavic in the air.

I've said it before on the forums, I don't see why DJI can't implement that same functionality that Hexo+ and Airdog have with their drones. They will track the signal (bluetooth in their cases), and use that to frame to the shot. It's much more reliable than trying to use a vision system. If DJI could combine both, they'd be on to a sure winner.
2016-12-25
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Where do you put the controller - is it clamped on the bars somehow.

2016-12-25
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I put a microfiber cloth on my handlebars, put the controller (sans phone) on top then used some elastic to secure it. Then I attached my phone. It was ok even on the bumpy ground, but thinking about it I should have just used my Ram X-Mount
2016-12-26
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

For my BMW R1200GS Adventure I use the Wunderlich-tank-pack, on ride the RC clamped by the straps on top. In trace-mode it´s not so difficult/dangerous to move the left stick of RC left or right to circle the bike. Will post on-ride photos/vids as soon my flu has gone

2016-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules