Phantom 3 Pro Fly away - Authorization Zone suspect
1499 20 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6299455 ft
United States

While taking some video last night of a local artist Christmas outside display, my P3 suddenly had a mind of it's own, and I lost control, and started flying off. I did all the pre flight steps including recalibrating the compass, double checked RTH, and RTH altitude et al.  When this occurred, I pressed RTH and got no response from my aircraft. I was intermittently regaining control then I would lose it again. And then finally, it announces "Landing". I haven't the foggiest idea of where it landed, but it did not RTH and land, of that I'm certain.

I have a nagging suspicion it may be related to the "Authorization Zone" function which popped up a couple of times. which I told it "yea I  know" and it was shortly after the last one I think that I lost control.  The zone I was in was literally on the OUTSIDE edge of the yellow. Where I launched in the street, it was just inside the zone while the subject about 20 ft away was completely outside of the zone.

Looking at the video and comparing to what is shown on the flight log doesn't appear to exactly correlate ie I can't really see where it went down (landed).

Can DJI possibly assist with my submission ?

And finally, what are other thinking about the possibility of my theory of the Authorization Zone function being a factor in this ? And also, to be fair, but I'm not sure at the moment, that there may, or may not be any cell phone towers in the vicinity that may have also been the cause.

Although not a well seasoned drone pilot, I'm not exactly green either. I've got about 35 or 40 hours. Anyones help would be greatly appreciated !

ER  
2016-12-25
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

ADDITIONALLY....................I'm not real clear now just exactly how much faith I have in DJI..of their technological prowess because the original post of this string above was made by me, my user name erhill2000.........NOT fansa7c53f25........

I have absolutely no idea who that user is, and this is being posted on my personal computer in  my home.

So maybe it is something related to the restricted zone !
2016-12-25
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-25 16:01
ADDITIONALLY....................I'm not real clear now just exactly how much faith I have in DJI..of their technological prowess because the original post of this string above was made by me, my user name erhill2000.........NOT fansa7c53f25........

I have absolutely no idea who that user is, and this is being posted on my personal computer in  my home.

See if user name is correct now
2016-12-25
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

test test test
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-25 21:01

The technological prowess is such that the Forum system changes the user name if it just happens to be part of the email address you used to login to your account. This is done to help try and protect users emails from spam & junk mail etc.
You can change it again in your user profile.
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The latest versions of DJI Go show the Latitude & Longitude in the Flight record playback. So if it still had contact when it landed then the co-ordinates should be there.

You could try uploading your flight log to Phantom Help, and some of the experienced pilots may be able to shed light on what happened.
2016-12-25
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-25 16:09
The technological prowess is such that the Forum system changes the user name if it just happens to be part of the email address you used to login to your account. This is done to help try and protect users emails from spam & junk mail etc.
You can change it again in your user profile.

OH I see said the blind man !  Thanks for clearing up that question. My faith in DJI is now somewhat restored especially if they can help me find my P3
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-25 21:22
OH I see said the blind man !  Thanks for clearing up that question. My faith in DJI is now somewhat restored especially if they can help me find my P3

Try that link I posted, it explains what to do, and you can post a link to your phantom help record in the forum here. There is a possibility that you can at least see the last known position. Was there no helpful information in the flight log on the display device ?
2016-12-25
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-25 16:13
The latest versions of DJI Go show the Latitude & Longitude in the Flight record playback. So if it still had contact when it landed then the co-ordinates should be there.

You could try uploading your flight log to Phantom Help, and some of the experienced pilots may be able to shed light on what happened.

Both controller and craft had the latest firmware and the DJI app is 3.1.1 which I think is the latest.

So I only need to send the file titled ''DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-24_[20-56-58]"  ?  Should I send any other files, such as the file within the folder "error pop-up" which was generated a little while after it "landed"?

Also I drove around the neighborhood with the remote still on hoping for a connection, and the time that the "error pop up" file was generated was about 20-30 minutes after losing the drone which is why I think it MAY be beneficial. but I don't know.
2016-12-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-25 21:59
Both controller and craft had the latest firmware and the DJI app is 3.1.1 which I think is the latest.

So I only need to send the file titled ''DJIFlightRecord_2016-12-24_[20-56-58]"  ?  Should I send any other files, such as the file within the folder "error pop-up" which was generated a little while after it "landed"?

Just to make you aware this is an open user forum, if you upload that record then it may point to the aircrafts whereabouts. If you post it here then it will be visible to all. The DJI moderators are not usually online at weekends, so until they respond you may get some meaningful feedback as to what went wrong from some of the experienced pilots. That single file is all you need to upload, remember to get the share link if you want to post here.
2016-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-26 08:59

If you want help ....
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and/or a search location.

2016-12-25
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

GOOD NEWS !

It's a good thing that I had my name and phone number written on the bottom of my P3, as she called me earlier this evening. My P3 landed right beside her as she was standing in a nearby hotels parking lot.  

he moral of this story is, that it would be a very good thing that if you haven't already done so, write your name and ph number on the belly of your drone,,,,,,,,,it could save your bacon....as it just did mine !

Thanks all...............although I still need to figure out what caused it in the first place.
2016-12-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-26 05:04
See if user name is correct now

Please go to http://www.dji.com/, click on avatar at the top right, go to Home-->My Account-->My Profile, then you can change your username, restart the website and it will be fine.
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-26 14:30
GOOD NEWS !

It's a good thing that I had my name and phone number written on the bottom of my P3, as she called me earlier this evening. My P3 landed right beside her as she was standing in a nearby hotels parking lot.  

Glad to hear about that.
You can sync the flight records through DJI GO APP firstly, then please send an e-mail to support.us@dji.com with your APP account e-mail address and the exact time it happened, our engineers will help you analyze the data and tell you what happened at that moment.
2016-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-26 17:30
GOOD NEWS !

"although I still need to figure out what caused it in the first place"

You've been told several times how to get help with that already but don't seem to be very interested.
2016-12-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-26 14:34
"although I still need to figure out what caused it in the first place"

You've been told several times how to get help with that already but don't seem to be very interested.

Yes, but thanks to an innocent bystander, who nearly got beaned, she had the decency and honesty to still call him and return to his thankful self, the wayward drone. ;-)

Perhaps next time... Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-26
Use props
fansa7c53f25
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-26 06:36
Glad to hear about that.
You can sync the flight records through DJI GO APP firstly, then please send an e-mail to  with your APP account e-mail address and the exact time it happened, our engineers will help you analyze the data and tell you what happened at that moment.

Thanks Natalia, I'll do that right now. I definitely would like to avoid a repeat performance of the other night.
2016-12-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansa7c53f25 Posted at 2016-12-27 11:08
Thanks Natalia, I'll do that right now. I definitely would like to avoid a repeat performance of the other night.

Good luck learning anything at all from DJI.
If you followed the instructions given to you, you'd already know more than they will tell you.
2016-12-26
Use props
fans165c64d0
New

United States

Ok so i bought a new phantom 3 pro, I have not taken out to fly in 2 days because i been wanting to learn everything i could about it, I have seen lots of tutorial have updated all, calibrated all, set the setting to beginer but still one thing im concerned with and want to learn before i go on my first fly. What to do in case of fly away and RTH not responding? What the best thing to try to save drone. Oohh also already saw and understand how to prevent fly aways but i want to know what to do in case of flyaway and failsafe not responding, can i change the fly mode to function?
2016-12-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans165c64d0 Posted at 2016-12-29 22:41
Ok so i bought a new phantom 3 pro, I have not taken out to fly in 2 days because i been wanting to learn everything i could about it, I have seen lots of tutorial have updated all, calibrated all, set the setting to beginer but still one thing im concerned with and want to learn before i go on my first fly. What to do in case of fly away and RTH not responding? What the best thing to try to save drone. Oohh also already saw and understand how to prevent fly aways but i want to know what to do in case of flyaway and failsafe not responding, can i change the fly mode to function?

The best way to deal with "flyaways" is to prevent them and the best way to do that is to be familiar with how the Phantom works and how to fly it.
You can get very good value from the forums learning from the mistakes of others without the pain they go through.

For RTH anxiety, the best thing to do is to go to a large open area, fly 100 feet away and experiment with RTH so that you gain confidence and learn what it does and how it does it.
RTH is a great tool and very reliable - it's just that some pilots aren't.
Learn how RTH works and how to cancel it to resume control and you'll be ahead of the bunch to start with.
Too many find out that the day they need RTH is the worst possible day to start learning.
2016-12-29
Use props
fans165c64d0
New

United States

Allright thanks, ill do exactly that just have to look for a nice wide open area now, any other tips for my fist flight will be apreciated thanks
2016-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules